Search for content in message boards

Black Families in Edgecombe County, NC

Black Families in Edgecombe County, NC

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 2:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am attempting to find siblings and parents of my great-grandfather, Thomas Batts who was born in 1831 and grew up on the Batts Plantation. I have learned from the responses that I have received that Hintons, Artis', Edwards, Bynums, Thornes and many others grew up there too. If anyone knows how the Batts and Thornes were related, please let me know.

Through DNA testing I am third cousins to descendants of the Thornes.

BTW, Thomas Batts was married to Mariah Jones and they lived in Wilson, NC in the 1900 census. They were parents of twelve sons and one daughter. Their son Wille Batts married Olivia Mercer and they were my grandparents.

Re: Black Families in Edgecombe County, NC

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 11:34AM GMT
Do you happen to know which BATTS plantion/farm your family came from? I have a book of Edgecombe Co NC 1733-1856 wills with five BATTS wills.

Re: Black Families in Edgecombe County, NC

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 11:51PM GMT
The best that I can determine is that Thomas Batts, my great-grandfather, grew up on John William Batts' plantation. the Will I located was authored in 1849 and was read in 1856.

Thank you for your response and please share me any additional information you may have.

Carolyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions