Search for content in message boards

William Puckett

William Puckett

Posted: 22 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Sep 2002 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: William Puckett
I would be very interested in that info too. Also who his siblings were. Please e-mail me at saginawlady@juno.com Thank you.

William Puckett

Lavinia White (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT

Can anyone tell me for what crimes William Pucket was hanged in 1892 and who his parents were? Thank you, Lavinia

WILLIAM PUCKETT

Posted: 28 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 5:01AM GMT
I am not related to the Pucketts, but by chance, I read this item in a book containing death notices from the Mt. Sterling Advocate just after I read your posting.

"WILLIAM PUCKETT who is to be hung on Feb 5th is sick. His nervous system is shattered and he refuses all nourishment except milk and beer. Looks almost like a spectre. will be hanged on Friday." - Mt. Sterling Advocate, Montgomery Co., KY, 1892.

William Puckett

Phyllis Puckett Hedges (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: PUCKETT, WILKINS, TIPTON, FREEMAN, BARNES, WOOSLEY
Hi, William Puckett was my greatgrand father. He was hanged in Estill County, KY 1892. The Estill County Historical Society has a good book written about the crime and hanging at a very low price.

I am researching all PUCKETTS and the surnames that comes with marriages. There are several Tiptons that married Puckett. Then again most of the surnames listed did marry Pucketts.
Phyllis Puckett Hedges

Re: William Puckett

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Pucketts, Townsends, Amburgey, Joas
After reading about the Townsend clan in C.E. Bush's Townsend Mountain, I started looking into the Puckett family without much success. My great, great grandmother was Nancy Ann Puckett (1862-1896, daughter of William Puckett and Manerva Townsend). Nancy married Robert Amburgey (1860-1946) in August 1880 in Lee County, Kentucky after being included with her parents for the 1870 and June 1880 Federal Census. Nancy moved to northern Wisconsin with her husband and small children (year?) and died shortly after my great grandmother Jessie was born. Why C.E. Bush didn't have information on Nancy is confusing to me. I wonder if this family connection left Kentucky too long ago for C.E. Bush and others to have stories about "Aunt Nancy" in northern Wisconsin.

If anyone has any information about my Puckett family, please let me know. C.E. Bush has described them as a colorful bunch and now I hear about a William Puckett hanging in 1890? Which William is this, and is this any relation of William and Minerva?

Many thanks,
Jenny

Posted: 12 Feb 2011 11:50PM GMT
I am the ggrandson of Robert Amburgey. I can remember a little about him but I was only 5 years old when he passed away. My grandmother was his daughter Charlotte. He died in Ashland Wisconsin. He had lived in Grandview Wisconsin earlier but for his last two years lived with my grandmother. I do not know anything of my grandmother Nancy. Hope this helps some.

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 9:58PM GMT
Yes, thank you.

I checked my family tree and your grandmother was our "Aunt Lottie" I have heard much of. I believe that she was the older daughter of my great great grandmother Jessie, and the one that I have heard took little Jessie under her wing when her mother died. Nice to connect with you!

Please let me know if any of the Amburgeys that you know have any stories/ photos/ recollections that go back to Kentucky and the Robert-Nancy marriage. Anything may help, since I feel like I'm coming up pretty empty-handed.

You can reach me via email at degroot UNDERSCORE jennifer AT yahoo.com.

Many thanks,
Jenny

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Puckett, Berryman
William is my 3rd great grandfather. Phylis do you remember the name of the book at the historical society? I would like to call them and see if they still have it. I would like to share information on the Puckett line with anyone related. tlparker at scrtc.com My line runs down Elizabeth Tempa Puckett

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 11:45PM GMT
Thanks for your reply but I think we are talking about different people. My Grandmother Lottie was the daughter of Robert and Nancy. I sent additional information to you by email. I can be reached at frank409@webound.com.

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 8:58PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

If all of you had done a little "googleing" you would have found this information. As it turns out everybody strayed off the original question............

William Puckett : Was The last court yard hanging in Estill County, Kentucky.
He was hung for the Murder of Henry Hall. His sons were tried and released May 1890.
He was hung Feb.05,1892. It was belived that he took the rap for his sons.

More About WILLIAM PUCKETT:
Burial: February 1892
Census: 1860, Red River Iron Works, Estill County, Kentucky
Note: February 05, 1892, Died by hanging for the murder of Henry Hall in 1890
per page

Find a board about a specific topic