Search for content in message boards

Barrier, Berrier, Berger, Barger

Barrier, Berrier, Berger, Barger

Posted: 16 Dec 2002 5:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Jul 2005 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: Barrier, Berrier, Berge, Barger, Berger, Burger, Vogt, Clements, Vaught, Hedrick, Trucks, Bereyer, Birer
I am trying to piece together the Barrier family in Va.
A Casper Berger age 30 arrives on the ship Winter Galley in 1738. Source: Strassburger
(A Margaret Burger age 50, Nicholas Burger age 20, Phillip Burger, age 12, Margaretha Burger age 10, Margaretha age 1/2 yrs and Anna age 25 arrive on ship Charming Betty in 1733 with Johan Vogt family.Strassburger)

Barrier locates as early as 1744 in Augusta Co, VA- land records. Source: Chalkley
A Casper Berger is killed at Drapers Meadow 1755 and wife Margaret is executrix of estate. Source: Chalkley

Children are:
1) Casper Barrier Jr
2) Phillip Barrier m Margaret Clements, d/o Christian Clements and Catherine Vaught/Vogt (Catherine d/o Johan Paul Vogt) Source: Christian Clements Will & Germanna Notes

3) Jacob Barrier m Eliz Hedrick, William Hedrick Admin of Jacob's estate. Source: Chalkley
1) Margaret Barrier b c1771 m Casper Coiner
2) Susannah Barrier orphan of Jacob in 1795

A Jacob Barrier is said to have removed to "South River" on tax records 1794. Source: Chalkley.
A Jacob Barrier has land grant of 16 acres NW of South River in 1794. Source: Lib of Va- on line.

4) John Barrier -wife Susannah Trucks d/o George Trucks
Chalkley

A Phillip "Bereyer" and Jacob "Birer" appear on 1810 census for Augusta Co, VA - images on line.

Any information with solid sources would be much appreciated.
thanks much
Stephanie Harrison

Re: Barrier, Berrier, Berger, Barger

Mary Turney Miller (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2002 7:50AM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2004 10:53AM GMT
Surnames: Turney, Barger, Barger
1768 my Henry Turney was a chain carrier on land survey for a Barger - but this was probably on Stony Creek (flows into North Branch of Shenandoah River at Edinburgh) and I think it would fall in Shenandoah County but not sure. The Turney land was in Frederick, Dunmore, Augusta, and finally Shenandoah County - located near Edinburgh.

Much later - 1803 - in Hawkins County Tennessee, Henry Turney's son George married a Catherine Barger.

Mary

Re: Barrier, Berrier, Berger, Barger

Posted: 5 Oct 2003 9:03PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2004 10:55AM GMT
Surnames: Barrier, Trucks, Berrier
Dear Stephanie,
Your email add. has probably changed and this may be a waste of time BUT you asked about the following:

John Barrier -wife Susannah Trucks d/o George Trucks

Susannah Trucks was the widow of George Trucks and married John Berrier after George death in 1767.
But Susannah died in Fredrick county, Maryland and since John Berrier would have been fairly old then, I dont think its likely he relocated before his death.

Im related to the Trucks family. Dont know if this info helped or not??
Betty

Re: Barrier/Berrier/Berger/Barger

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 5:00AM GMT
Surnames: Barrier/Berrier
Hi Betty
Thanks so much for your information. You have given
me a piece of the puzzle. I thought George Trucks was the
father.

I doubt John removed to NC either. However, it may be
that another Barrier son left for NC. Tradition has it that
the Barrier family stopped off in VA. Actually, the first
Barrier in NC was Johan Charles Barrier who can be found in
Rowan Co, NC in 1759.

thanks much
Stephanie

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2003 8:49AM GMT
Dear Stephanie,

Susannah (Trucks) Berrier had a total of 14 children!
I have a total of 8 that were named as being Trucks children per her son John Trucks pension papers. But the rest may simply have been girls which John did not mention OR given that there were a total of 14 children, possibly John Berrier was a widower who remarried and brought step-children to the marriage.
If you feel strongly that this may be a connection for you, I will dig out John Trucks pension papers and see if he mentions step-brothers or step-sisters at home.
Although only 8 Trucks children were actually named,
It would simply confirm if there actually WERE any steps at home.
Betty

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 5:20PM GMT
Hi Betty

If you could just name the eight children that would be good.
Would you know if the Trucks were Palatinates (german speaking) or English?

My Barrier's were french but came to this country speaking german and so had early names like Johan Charles. However, some Barriers settled in England and obviously removed to this country speaking English
thanks again
Stephanie

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2003 7:30PM GMT
The 8 Trucks children of George Trucks (Trux) and Susannah were:
Capt. John abt. 1755
Catherine March 12, 1756
Peter abt. 1758
Nicholas abt.1763
Esau abt.1765
Abraham abt.1767
William abt.1750
I dont know anyone who has found immigration records for them. But yes, they are of German descent. They were German speaking.

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 3:12AM GMT
Thank you so much Betty. Then it is possible that one of those
(german speaking) Barrier children slipped off to NC. If I am figuring correctly then Johan Charles showing up as an adult in NC by 1759
would be consistent with Susanne's generation. In other words, it is
possible he could be a brother of Suzanne.

Trux? French? Barriers were french hugeonots who fled to Switzerland and Germany and must have stayed a generation or two to pick up the German language. On record, they were often found as Berger in NC but about 1800 (for reasons unknown) they begin to call themselves Barrier and Berrier. I checked the phone book for France (online) and there are about 800 Barriers listed.
thanks again
Stephanie

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2003 11:17AM GMT
Dear Stepanie,
I do not know your family history well enough to know how plausible that theory is but Im sure you will figure it out!
Best of luck to you!
Betty

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 3:44AM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2005 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Keinadt, Koiner, Coiner, Coyner, Kyner, Kiner, Kinard, Keinath, etc.
Hi Stephanie ~ Have you seen the Barer Journal and the Keinadt Family History which explains this VA Barger family? And do you know there is a Barger list on Rootsweb? These Bargers came from Germany to PA where many of them remained, and into VA before 1800. Write me and I'll try to fill you in if you like.
Norma
per page

Find a board about a specific topic