Search for content in message boards

Mercer, Ireland Origins

Mercer, Ireland Origins

Posted: 21 Sep 2008 1:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for William Mercer who married Elizabeth Irwin. Their daughter was Isabella Alice Mercer, who married James Cooper Martin in 1863 Newton, Lunawaddy (Limavaddy), Ireland.

All help and information regarding any Mercer family from Ireland would be appreciated.

Judith

Re: Mercer, Ireland Origins

Posted: 25 May 2009 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Mercer and Martin
I have recently started to research my Dad's family. His name was Mercer.My Great Great Grandfather was William Mercer from Bovally(a townland in Newtownlimavady) He was a carpenter.Ifound the marrriage of Isabella Mercer and James Cooper Martin in Church Records. She was a teacher and her father was William ,a carpenter,so I think this may be the same family. That would make Isabella my Great Grandfather's sister. His name was Thomas.Newtown Limavady is the old name for the town of Limavady which is a small town about 15 miles from the city of Londonderry where I live

Posted: 25 May 2009 8:20PM GMT
James Cooper Martin, b 1842 is my 2nd Great Grandfather. He and Isabella emigrated to Australia in 1864, Queensland.

From my research so far, I have found that they had 6 children, one of which was Alica Mary Martin who was my Great Grandmother.

I have a fair bit of information on the family and would enjoy swapping with you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Judith
Australia

Posted: 14 Jun 2009 5:44AM GMT
Hi Helen,

Have located the grave of Isabella Alice Mercer here in Brisbane and will head out this week and photograph it. Would you like a copy?

Do you know if any other's from the Mercer family emigrated to Australia at all?

Regards, Judith

Posted: 14 Jun 2009 4:04PM GMT
Hi Judith,
Good to hear from you. Yes a photo would be good.I'm away for a few days ,but when I come back I will send you what I have on the Mercers.I don't have very much as a lot of records were destroyed in a fire in Dublin in 1922.It's hard to prove relationships when there are few records to consult!
Regards Helen

Posted: 5 Jul 2009 7:29PM GMT
Surnames: Mercer
Hi Judith,

I'm not sure if you received my last reply about your visit to grave in Brisbane. This is all a bit new to me. I have been away but I will be in touch soon. Maybe we could send any info via email? Let me know what you think.

Regards Helen

Posted: 5 Jul 2009 11:47PM GMT
Hi Helen,
Yes, I made it to the cemetery, with mixed results. Found some relatives, but due to time, some graves have long since disappeared. But several photos are worth looking at.

Have been dabbling at tracing others in the family, and the search is still on. Let me know your email address and I will forward what information I have, and we can go from there.

Regards Judith

Posted: 7 Jul 2009 8:01PM GMT
Hi Judith,
My e-mail address is devinehelen@hotmail.co.uk.I will send you what information I have and maybe we can make a connection.
Regards Helen

Posted: 13 Sep 2009 4:57PM GMT
Hi Judith,
Sorry I haven't been in touch lately. Ihave been doing a lot of work on my Mum's tree and have put the Mercers away for a while but I'm going to do some more searching. The 1911 census has just gone online, so I hope I can find out some more.
All I have at the moment is my Great Grandfather Thomas Mercer was married to Margaret Gaston in 1862 and his father was William Mercer who was a carpenter. Do you have any details of the marriage of William Mercer and Elizabeth Irwin? Please send me your e.mail address and I will send any info I have.

Regards Helen

Posted: 30 Jan 2010 11:43AM GMT
Surnames: Thomson, Martin, Mercer
Hi Judith

I've just started researching my family and my nanna (Estelle Montgomery Thomson) was the daughter of William Thomson and Isabella Mercer Martin (daughter of James Cooper Martin and Isabella Alice Mercer) from Ireland.

I would love to hear more about that side of the family as I've hit a bit of a dead end.

Cheers

Elissa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions