Search for content in message boards

Herbert & Leonora DENHAM, Delafield Ave, Staten Island, Richmond Co, NY 1920

Herbert & Leonora DENHAM, Delafield Ave, Staten Island, Richmond Co, NY 1920

Posted: 10 Nov 2005 11:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DENHAM, SCOFIELD, JONES
I am seeking the whereabouts of Herbert DENHAM, his wife, Leonora nee SCOFIELD and family after the 1920 Federal Census. I can only find them in 1920 on Delafield Ave, Staten Island, Richmond Co, NY. I can't find Herbert DENHAM prior to 1920 nor can I find him and his family after 1920.

For the 1920 census the household consisted of Herbert 32yrs, wife Leonora -Leonra on the census- 30yrs, daughter Mildred 3yrs 11/12 mos and father-in-law Erastus SCOFIELD 64yrs widower. All members of the household are listed as being born in NY.

Erastus SCOFIELD was my grandmother's uncle. I am trying to find out when Erastus died. I assume he was still residing with his daughter Leonora and son-in-law Herbert when his death came.

I would also like to fill in this branch of my family as much as possible and can share what I know about the SCOFIELDs and JONESes.

Leonora DENHAM nee SCOLFIELD was the daughter of Erastus SCOFIELD and Gertrude R. JONES.

Does anyone know about this family?

Re: Herbert & Leonora DENHAM, Delafield Ave, Staten Island, Richmond Co, NY 1920

janetb (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2005 2:26AM GMT
Surnames: DENHAM MARCHANT SCOFIELD
I had some luck; they went to NJ (though I couldn't find them after 1930):

1930/NJ/Union/Summit ED 157 Sheet 12B
T626-1389 p 236
Dunham, Herbert, head, 42, married at 23, b NY, parents b NJ, iron draftsman
Leona, wife, 40, married at 21, b NY as were parents
Mildred, daughter, 14, b NY
Scofield, Erastis, father in law, 75, widowed, b NY as were parents

Herbert Allison Dunham registered for the draft in Staten Island board 187 roll 1818490. He was b 30 Nov 1887, and had a wife and baby in June 1917.

1910/NY/Richmond/3-Wd Richmond ED 1308 Sheet 5B
T624-1073 p 176B
the page is nearly illegible but Herbert is 21, living with his mother (Carrie Marchant?) and brother (Charles? Dunham).

1900/NY/Richmond/Richmond Ward 5 ED 614 Sheet 9B
T623-1154 p 267
Dunham, Carrie, head, Nov 1865, 34, widowed, 3 children, 2 living, b NY, seamstress
Bertie A, son, Nov 1887, 12, b NY, at school
Charles S, son, Aug 1889, 10, b NY, at school

I believe Carrie died 1935 (as per italiangen.org death index):
Marchant Carolyn S 69 y Mar 16 1935 certificate 535 Richmond

Janet

Re: Herbert & Leonora DENHAM, Delafield Ave, Staten Island, Richmond Co, NY 1920

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: DENHAM, DUNHAM, SCOFIELD, JONES, SKERRITT, WILSON
Janet, Hi again & thanks. After I couldn't find Herbert DENHAM and family on SI as DENHAM and after I had made my post, I headed Upstate in my search. I remembered that my Grandmother used to cruise the Upstate antique shops with a dealer named Austin DUNHAM. And DENHAM could also easily mutate to DUNHAM and vice versa.

With Austin DUNHAM, I never knew if it was just a mutual interest in antiques or if there was a family connection somewhere. When I found Grandma's cousin married to DENHAM and couldn't find the DENHAMs and Uncle Raz down in SI anymore, I started to hunt Upstate thinking that maybe Herbert was DUNHAM, a relation to Austin and Herbert with family had followed my grandparents' trail to Ulster Co.

I have a subscription to the census images so I will stop puttering around Upstate and pull up the correct images.

What I don't have is access to the WW I draft films. I am going to my FHC tomorrow and should probably order it for SI since I have several people who might appear on it. Do you have the LDS number handy?

In the meantime would you be able to do a look-up of another individual? My Grandma was my Grandpa's second wife but I don't know when wife # 1 left the picture. His draft registration card might narrow things down a bit since the information includes the registrant's marital status.

He would be Harry Wilson SKERRITT b. 8 Dec 1894 Northfield, Granitville most likely. I don't know how the cards are organized if they are at all but if you see a Robert Allen SKERRITT, that will be my Grandpa's brother.

Thanks once more and now off to the images and then to dreamland.

Linda

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 6:55PM GMT
Have you tried the 1915 or 1925 NYS Census? They have been microfilmed and are available through the Latter Day Saints Family History Centers. You can check for the film numbers at familysearch.org. go to the library page and click on library catalog.

Posted: 13 Nov 2005 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: DENHAM/DUNHAM, SCOFIELD, JONES
After my post, I wondered if they went Upstate. There was a DUNHAM associated with my grandmother once my grandparents moved Upstate. DENHAM could have been a mutation of DUNHAM.

In the interim, janetb contacted me off board. She had found them. DENHAM was a "mutation" of DUNHAM. They had gone to nearby New Jersey, so they are now found again post 1920. I haven't had time yet to renew my hunt for them as DUNHAM in the years before 1920.

About the state censuses:
I know that they were done 1915 and 1925 but I've never been able to find any LDS numbers for them for Richmond Co. I don't live on Staten Island or in NY so I have to look at everything on line or film at my FHC.

It has appeared in the past that only 1855, 1865 and 1875 for Richmond Co. were ever filmed. The Richmond Co. GenWeb website has an extensive list of all the LDS films pertainent to Richmond Co. and LDS numbers for them. They only list these three years, too.

I double checked the LDS library catalog and still can't find films for 1915 or 1925 Richmond Co. although I really wish I could since most of my maternal line is Staten Island at this point in history and I'd really like to get my hands on those censuses .

Maybe I'm looking for them incorrectly somehow. Do you have LDS numbers for the Richmond Co. census schedules for these years?

Thanks for you help.

Posted: 14 Nov 2005 12:38AM GMT
Hi,
The films you are looking for are:
#'s 523336-523337 for 1915 and 532409-532412 for 1925. Hope this helps.
Marie

Posted: 16 Nov 2005 1:11AM GMT
Linda, go to
www.familysearch.org
Click on LIBRARY, then Family History Library Catalog.
Do a place search for: (Place) Richmond (Part of) New York. Several will appear. You want the one that says New York, Richmond. There are hundreds of films listed.
Marie

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 10:22PM GMT
Hi Marie: The LDS Library place search seems to be very sensitisive as to exactly how I specify the place, a part of NY. Richmond Co. or county, a part of New York yields "No matching places found" and Staten Island, part of New York gives New York, Richmond, Staten Island and New York, Staten Island. Only New York, Richmond, Staten Island gives part of the list of films. For census fiims it shows some index of BMD, deeds etc.

I tried as you suggested; but maddeningly even this only gives a listing of only 1855, 1865, 1875, 1915 and 1925 for state censuses.

It's been my experience that the library catalog database has never been easy to use. What terms or how something or place is searched can yield many lists that often times are different from each other.

As for the Richmond Co GenWeb site, I had printed out the list of Richmond Co. films quite sometime ago with my old printer so I would have it at the FHC since on a busy day, their one computer is often occupied. I never checked the printout against the list. Going back now to the site and the film #'s you kindly sent, I discovered that my cranky old machine had cut off information on the bottoms of each page. So I've reprinted it on my nice, new printer and all is well.

Thanks for the film numbers. I will eventually order all the state census for indefinate loan since most of my maternal grandmother's family is from Staten Island and I live several hours away from NY.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

janetb (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2005 11:16PM GMT
May I mention re: FHL films: I tried to reorganize the FHL films page and put it in a beta page at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyrichmo/fhl/fhl_beta2.html

The film numbers on the page link the the FHL Catalog description.

I welcome feedback!
Janet

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: DENHAM
Happy New year,

Things got ahead of me and this was one of them. With all the holiday prep very little else gets done Nov-Dec. Just getting through the backlog now.

Thanks for the film numbers. I've been holding off ordering any films as there has been some delivery problems at our FHC recently and now all the films I and about 100 other people, had on order since the middle of Oct have all arrived all at once.

As soon as I get through those, I will order these as the Denham"s aren't my only SI families that will be on them.

Thanks,

Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions