Search for content in message boards

Edgar G. Saylor

Edgar G. Saylor

Posted: 16 Sep 2011 12:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Saylor
Need help in locating whereabouts of one Edgar G. Saylor. Father and Mother were Jehu (John P) and Martha A. from Des Moines, Iowa. He was last recorded living in Los Angeles, CA in 1916, as per his mother's obit. He is my great-great-Uncle's half-brother's son. Am trying to piece together the family records as not much is known about the Saylor side, past that they started out from Indianapolis, IN about 1820's and stopped off in central Iowa to settle. Would like copies of any photos of family or gravestones so I can enter them onto our CD's for our records. Thank you, James Mincks.

Re: Edgar G. Saylor

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 7:22PM GMT
Hi,
Do you know when and where he was born? I found two Edgar Saylor's in Los Angeles but they're too young. One was born in 1915 and the other in 1916.

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 10:51PM GMT
Find-a-Grave shows Martha A. "Bales" Saylor born 1830, died 11/5/1916
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=sa...;
has info on spouse and children, with her picture.

One family tree, searching her:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/22369783/person/1223965770?ss...=
shows her, Jehu Perkins (1823 to 1882), born 4 Mar 1830 in Tippecanoe County, IN, marriage 19 Nov 1848, two daughters (infant 1849-1850; and Ana Elise 1850) and three sons. Does not show Edgar.
Three trees found searching Jehu, same owner of above.

The 1880 Census for Greenfield, Warren Co, IA
J.P. Saylor, 57, born in Indiana to father born in N. Carolina, mother in Kentucky
M.A. age 50, born in Ind, to father born in NC, mother in Ohio
Frank A, 28, IA, sells groceries
Geo W, 26, farmer
Edgar G, 16(1863/1864), not working.
Nellie C, 20, teacher.

A 15 Sep 1895 issue of the San Francisco Call, identifies a musical involving an Edgar Temple Saylor, but wron middle name if his actual middle began with "G." No Edgar found matching.

A book, Early Days in Kansas. Along the Santa Fe and Lawrence trails. Old Ridgeway, 1855-69, confirms marriage and children:
http://books.google.com/books?id=KGdNAAAAYAAJ&q=%22marth...

I checked a number of resources, even looked at the 1901 and 1911 Canadian Census. Didn't find a Saylor matching criteria. First, although not proven or indicated, his mother's obituary may have listed him; but, he may have passed or moved without the family knowledge at the time of her obit. This is found on occasion. His birth of 1863/1864(I did search records 1862 to 1866) makes it difficult due to the Old Records. He was not born late enough to be found in the WWI Draft Registrations. He was born before the Civil War, probably didn't serve in the Spanish American. There is a death index for CA from 1905 to 1929, which I no longer have access, it "might" show him. The next range runs from 1940. So, if he died prior to 1905, or in the period 1929-1940, he would be listed. I did a NUMBER of searches of the US Census using the basic criteria, expanding to ANY Say*, Sail*, etc. Is it possible he used a different name? I did find an Edgar Ray matching basic criteria, but not enough information to prove.

Ron Bestrom

Posted: 14 Dec 2011 4:45AM GMT
Two Edgar Saylor's mentioned in this obit...

Obituary
Long Beach Telegram
May 16, 1948
Page 6

SAYLOR—Mrs. Margaret Saylor
81, died Friday at her home 246 Argonne Ave. She was born Ontario, Canada, and came to Long Beach from Redlands 2
years ago. Mrs. Saylor was a member of the Redlands Presbsyterian Church. Survivors include three daughters, Madames William Miles and Marjorie Strong of
long Beach and Mrs. Charles
Wilcox. Ontario, Canada; a son Edgar A. Saylor, Long Beach and three grandsons, Jack Mills, La Canada, Calif., Joseph Saylor Long Beach, Ralph Saylor, San
Francisco and Edgar Saylor Jr., Lynwood. There are eight great grandchildren. Funeral and cremation will be at Mottel's Chapel.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 5:41PM GMT
Hi, my 2nd great-grand aunt Laura Rudesill, was married to an Edgar Temple Saylor, birthplace Des Moines, IA. They were married in 1892 and had one daughter that I have been able to find, Mercedes Temple Saylor born December 9, 1892 in Davenport, Scott county, Iowa. Laura and Edgar were in the Manhatten, New York area circa 1904, along with Laura's sister Martha and brother Samuel, living on 29th street. On Laura's 1923 passport application, she states that Edgar was living in Los Angeles. I'll attach that record in another post.

Hope this helps,
Diane

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:08PM GMT
Thanks. I am trying to piece together any members who were related to my grt-grt-Aunt Mary Saylor. They are buried in Pine Hill cemetery, in Saylorville, Iowa. you can view all the family photos at www.iowagravestones.org
click on Polk county name, then click on Pine Hill cemetery name. There are Howards first, then Saylors, then Wheelers, then Wests, then it gets alot more diverse. James Mincks.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 11:11PM GMT

Hi, you're very welcome. I hope this too, is of some interest,

National Democrat Thursday, August 22,1912, Des Moines,Iowa

Mrs. E. H. Fox and her mother,

Mrs. Saylor, have returned from a six

months' visit with Mr. Edgar Saylor

Temple at Los Angeles. They also

visited friends in San, Francisco, Salt

Lake and Denver.

Regards,
Diane

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 11:24PM GMT
Hi again, it looks like Edgar needed proof of birth in order to obtain a passport. I hope this also contains information you will find of use. This record was in conjunction with the passport application for Laura Rudesill (stage name Temple) Saylor.

Regards,
Diane

State of Iowa,
Polk County AFFADAVIT

I. Leida Fox, being first duly sworn, on oath say that I am a resident of the City of Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa, and have been for more that 70 years last past; that Edgar Saylor, of Los Angeles, California, is my brother; that he was born at Saylorville, Polk County, Iowa, on the 9th day of February, 1864; that I was present at the time of his birth and make this affidavit from my personal knowledge; that Dr. Bennett, then of Polk city, olk County, Iowa, the attending physician, and Sarah Bales, of Saylorville, Polk Couty, Iowa, who assisted Dr. Bennett at the time of my brother's birth, are now both dead; that there is no record in the office of the Clerk of the District Court for Polk County, Iowa, of my brothers' birth, and upon inquiry at said office this date I was informed that births were not recorded there until the year 1880.

Further affiant sayeth not.
Signature - Leida Fox
per page

Find a board about a specific topic