Search for content in message boards

Hungarian Settlement? Stevens Point, Portage, Wis.

Hungarian Settlement? Stevens Point, Portage, Wis.

Posted: 10 Sep 2002 5:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meszaros & Hegedus
My GGrandmother wrote in her Biography that they traveled to Stevens Pt. because they had family there and that it was a Hungarian settlement. Any truth to the Hungarian Settlement?
They immagrated to US from Gyor Megyei Hedervar, Austria, Hungary in May 1883. Came to Stevens Pt November 1883. Stayed until spring of 1887. My Grandmother, Elizabeth Hegedus and Grandfather, Michael Meszaros were married 2/1/1885 in Stevens Pt and Elizabeth's younger brother Karlman, died, spring of 1885 from a train accident. Any way of finding these records? The preist who married Elizabeth & Michael was: Father Abbe, a Hungarian priest.
Roman Catholic. How can I locate Church records?
Any/All help much appreciated. PS I have searched the Portage County site.

Re: Hungarian Settlement? Stevens Point, Portage, Wis.

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 8:27PM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2004 8:06PM GMT
wis-marriages,pre-1907; vol 01; page 0446 hegedus,elizabeth married 08feb1885 to mesroses, michael.. it is very common to find names misspelled in the index. for info wi div of health and vital records po box 309; 1 west wilson st. rm. 158, madison,wi 53701 (608) 266-1371

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2002 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: Hegedus & Meszaros
Thank you, I have received a copy of the marriage record of Michael & Elizabetha. I am also looking for record of Elizabetha's brother, Karlman's accidental death. He died in the spring of 1885,after falling off and being run over by the transfer car at the rail road station. Michale & Elizabetha's first child, John P. Meszaros was also born there, Dec 1885.
BUT, my real original question was, is there any truth to this area being a Hungarian settlement?

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 6:21PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2003 8:09PM GMT
looked at history of the county and townships . only the polish, english, germans mentioned as main settlers in the area.

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: Hegedus
You should be able to find church records at the LaCrosse
Diocese in LaCrosse Wisconsin.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 5:37AM GMT
Linda, my ancestors arrived in America in 1881 and settled in Stevens Point. They came from St. Peters, Austria, which is now located in Hungary (between Vienna and Budapest). Despite originating from Austria, they were of German descent. These people were know as Berglanders. I know a number of families in Stevens Point shared a common background. I recommend you try St. Joseph's Parrish in Stevens Points. Hope this helps.
R, Doug
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions