Search for content in message boards

Edward Thomas Dam born 1832/33 Denmark died 1902 aged 69 New Zealand

Edward Thomas Dam born 1832/33 Denmark died 1902 aged 69 New Zealand

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 4:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Oct 2012 4:44AM GMT
Surnames: Hansen, Hansdr, Dam
Edward Thomas Dam sometimes Edward Thomas Kohler Dam left Denmark, became a master mariner and settled in NZ in the 1850s. Family legend is that he was born as his mother was dying. Family lore also states that his mother's name was Karen Margrethe Hansen. On FS I have found a reference to a marriage on Klemensker Bornholm on 27/10/1823 between Jensen Dam and Karen Margrethe Hansdr. I have not been able to find a birth of Edward Thomas Dam or a death of Karen Dam. A search of the Stats Archiv was frustrating as I do not have the software to read the results (aspx) although there seemed to be information. Is the name Kohler also spelt Kjoller? Where else can I look for information or does someone here have information? Other possible clues are the names William and Valdemar being the names of one of his sons and that his death entry states he is Episcopalian. One of his daughters was Thyra and the others Hilda Gabrielle & phillis Dagmar.
This is a wide query I know ....have just started on this arm of the family after immersing myself in the Irish side.

Re: Edward Thomas Dam born 1832/33 Denmark died 1902 aged 69 New Zealand

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 8:37AM GMT

> A search of the Stats Archiv was frustrating as I do not have the software
>to read the results (aspx) although there seemed to be information

Have you read the instructions!

http://www.sa.dk/ao/English/GENERIC_INSTRUCTIONS_FOR_THE_USE...
--

Java can be found here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/inde...
--

I suggest you use Java SE 6 Update 35

--
Flemming Aasklint

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 8:49AM GMT
Thanks I followed a link so while I was able to change the language I obviously missed out on these instructions.....I run a Mac so will see if Ok. Also a lesson to be learnt to always go to the home page instead of diving in to the links.....so thanks Flemming for the reminder!

Shanreagh

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:06AM GMT
Hi,

Just following up on part of my earlier post before I download the Java software onto my mac.
"Is the name Kohler also spelt Kjoller?"

I see posts here on the name Kjoller.

Shanreagh

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 9:58AM GMT
Hi

In Denmark Kohler and Kjoller(Kjøller) are
2 different names.

--
Flemming Aasklint

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 11:25AM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2012 11:34AM GMT
Thank you. I have been searching in some Danish and Danish extracted records and have found the name Koller spelt in several different ways
Kjoller
Koller
Køller
Kjøller

Are these above variations of the one name? Found mainly around Bornholm/ Christianso.

In New Zealand records it is Kohler, Koller and Koller with an umlaut (is the Danish word omlyd?) on the 'o'.

I have not seen my ancestors name spelt Kohler in any Danish records so far.

Thanks for your help.

PS I mixed up a couple of generations in my first post. Have his parents names who were Anders Hansen Dam & Karen Margrethe Herskin/Haeske. His maternal grandmother's name was Magrethe Kirstine Thomasdr Køller and think she was born in Christianso.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions