Search for content in message boards

Photo George Peavy's Home

Photo George Peavy's Home

Posted: 11 Jun 2004 7:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peavy, Banning, Freeman
Looking for copy of Photos.
"George Peavy was a "Major" in the Confederate Armies, became a lawyer and legislator, moved to Newnan in time for a series of newspaper articles written in 1905-1905 about pioneers of Meriwether County, Georgia. A photograph of his Greenville house is reproduced in "PIONEERS OF MERIWETHER COUNTY GEORGIA as reported in the MERIWETHER VINDICATOR" by Clare Isanhour of Smyrna, Ga., on page 49.
Also there's a photograph of his house in Greenville, Ga. in "Historical Account of Meriwether County 1827-1974" compiled by Regina Pinkston For Meriwether County, printed by the Gresham Printing Company of Greenville, Ga. He was said to have acquired the property in 1869.
Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Photo George Peavy's Home

Posted: 12 Jun 2004 7:39PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2005 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: PEVY/PEAVY/PEEVY, SEALE/SEAL (NC>GA>AL>LA), JOHNSTON/JOHNSON (AL)
Hudson, I can't help with photos, but I hope someone will. My questions relate to George Peavy (Pevy/Pevey)'s parents and grandparents. Are they descended from Abraham and Lydia Seale Pevy/Peavy/Pevey, who migrated from NC to GA? This family includes my gr grandpa, who was born in Butler Co., AL in 1836, after the family had lived there several years. My gr gr grandpa, Michael Pevy/etc (b.ca 1800), was the son of Abraham and Lydia. I wonder if your George could be the child of another son, making him a cousin to my gr grandfather, Andrew Jackson Pevy/etc. I've not had success in pinning down their counties of residence in GA. If you have that info, I would greatly appreciate anything you are able to share. My health has kept me from researching for some time now. Good luck with your photo quest! Thanks, Janell

Posted: 12 Jun 2004 9:21PM GMT
Surnames: Peavy Banning White
George Peavy's father was David W. Peavy and his mother was Elizabeth GLASS. His grandparents were Unity WHITE and John Peavy. Both settled in Geogia around 1790.
Thanks and sorry did not match. Hope your health improves.
Hudson

Posted: 13 Jun 2004 9:58PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2006 11:47PM GMT
Janell, I have Peavy relatives originally from N. Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and on to La. Before coming to La. I think their name was spelled Pevy most of the time. However, after reaching La. they spelled it Peevy and Peavy. Here is what I have: William Peavy born about 1801 in N. Carolina, married Martha Cox before 1825. She was born about 1802 in N. Carolina. They had the following children: Sarah Ann, b. S.C., Joanna, John W., James, Joshua, and Ichabod all born in Ga., then William born in Ala. About 1858 Martha, her youngest children, along with John W., James, Joshua and their families all came to Rapides Parish, La. (what is now Vernon Parish, La.). I am descended from James Peavy. Let me know if this is your line.
Frances

Other Family--Re: Photo George Peavy's Home

Janell Jones Goss (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2004 5:45AM GMT
Surnames: PEVY/PEAVY/PEEVY, SEAL/SEALE, JOHNSTON/JOHNSON
Frances, while it would seem we should be in the same line, I can't tie the two groups together. My PEVY/PEAVY, later PEEVY, family were already in GA before 1800. Abraham, b 1765 in Orange Co, NC, was the father of Michael, b. ca 1800, GA; who was the father of Andrew Jackson, b. 28 JUN 1836, in Butler co., AL. "Jack" & his brother Walter were our earliest family in LA, coming in late 1866 to Webster & Jackson parishes. Unless, of course, they had cousins there that we don't know about. Our two lines surely seem to have been following the same trails though! Janell

Re: Other Family--Re: Photo George Peavy's Home

Posted: 21 Jun 2004 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: Peavy/Peevy/Pevy
Janell,
Thank you for your reply. I seem to have hit a wall with this part of my family. I think they were part Indian but don't have any verification. I know they married Cherokee Indian women. Maybe they were considered outcasts by the family because of the Indian blood. I just don't know.
Frances

Peevy/Peavy

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2004 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: Peevy/Peavy
I am looking for information on Harriett Peevy/Peavy who lived in Butler County, AL. She listed that she married Stephen Smith in Butler County, AL in 1850 in her papers. They migrated to Texas and were counted there on the 1860 census in Moscow, Polk County, TX. Have you run across this person in your searches?

Peevy/Peavy

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2004 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: Peevy/Peavy
I am looking for information on Harriett Peevy/Peavy who lived in Butler County, AL. She listed that she married Stephen Smith in Butler County, AL in 1850 in her papers. They migrated to Texas and were counted there on the 1860 census in Moscow, Polk County, TX. Have you run across this person in your searches?

Re: Peevy/Peavy

Janell Jones Goss (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2004 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: PEVY/PEAVY/PEEVY, SEAL/SEALE, HADEN/HADDEN/HAYDEN, JOHNSTON/JOHNSON
Joan, Sorry but I don't have a Harriet in my direct line. My gr gr grandfather had several brothers, so some of them were almost surely in Butler Co, & could be her father. I feel that my gr grandpa must have had uncles or cousins in North LA/Jackson par, before he & his brother came there in 1866. There are Pevy/Peavy residents in that area quite a few years earlier, but I've never made the connections. Some of them were probably en route to TX, as the migration path often progressed that way. Good luck in your search!

Re: Peevy/Peavy

Leon Hudson (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2004 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Peavey/Peavy/Pevy
Hi,

I have definitive proof that one of my Peavy ancestors was in Bienville Parish, Louisiana and married Sarah L. Murphy in Minden, Louisiana. US Census and marriage license/certificate.

I am tracking my Southern Peavy family and find Allen Peavy and Katherine Peavy on the 1850 US Census with a 10 month old son named Abram G A Peavy.

The person in Minden who wrote out the license spelled the name Pevy. One census record shows the name Peavey. So the following variations have shown up in my direct line - Peavy, Pevy, Peavey. My mother told me many things about the Peavy family before she died last year. One of the things she told me is our Peavy line came from the Carolinas. However, I have not yet been able to prove this. The migration does seem to come from that direction as Katherine Peavy (maiden name unknown) was born in South Carolina per the U.S. Census of 1850.

Apparently Katherine's husband Allen Peavy was born about 1818 in Kentucky but no definitive proof on that yet. Part of the migration of my family seems to be from Kentucky southward to Alabama, Louisiana and Texas. Specifically Van Zandt County, Texas and Dallas, Dallas County, Texas.

Sincerely,
Leon Hudson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic