Search for content in message boards

Mattie Poe

Mattie Poe

Posted: 12 Feb 2000 11:03AM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2005 4:53PM GMT
Looking for any info or known relatives. Born in Bridgeton near Leeds AL. Married Manassas Johnston Greer. Had 3 sisters Amanda, Molly,and Emma. Two brothers William and Robert Poe, Jr.

Re: Answer to question about Mattie Poe

Joan Greene (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2000 7:32PM GMT
I have information that Robert Poe was born in 1845 in Bridgeton. He entered the Confederate army as a pvt. in May 1861 in Co. A 21st AL and continued for 12 months when he was discharged. He re-enlisted as a Pvt. in 1862 in Capt. Moore's Cavalry and continued until surrender.
There was also a William Claybourn Poe born 9/25/1845 born in Bridgeton, lived in Leeds, that entered as a Pvt. in June 1862 in the 30th AL, Co. K and continued until the close of the was when discharged in Salisbury, NC.
I'm sure these are of the same family. My great, great grandfather Jesse Poe fits in there somewhere. I need help fitting the puzzle together.

The Missing Poes

Posted: 13 Feb 2000 4:14AM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2005 4:53PM GMT
I plan on talking to my grandmother sometime today and see if she has ever heard of a Jesse Poe on her mother's side of the family. Thanks for the info. I do know that Robert Poe Jr. left home when he was 22 and went to live in Corbin KY. I don't know if the rest of the clan stayed around the Leeds area or not.

Jesse and Robert Poe-alabama

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 6:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Poe McCombs
Here are my unedited notes in full-
susan aldridge
I would also like to know to whom Mary (Wylie`s probable mother- also "Polly" is a nickmae for Mary) was married. I assume she is the mother of all the children in the 1850 census below. She must also have a couple more children who have already left home. Her mother in law (or mother)must be Elizabeth Poe age 60. I would go from Claibourne/Clayborn Poe being the most likely husband for Elizabeth. Since everyone is finding a hard time finding the "husnabd" for Mary, could it be possible that she was half Indian and did not find the necessity to marry in the sense that some white people expected? That all her children were "illegitimate" ? Maybe her mother was a full blood.

In order to get into the Alabama area before 1815, did you not have to marry an Indian...something like that. It was sacred hunting ground held for the Indians by the brittish till 1783 when they lost the war.

I gathered this info below while looking for information on Nora Sellers husband. Nora was the daughter of William Simpson Sellers and Amanda Sims. Nora married Wylie Thornton Poe Jr.(Wylie´s son) and had one child before she died in a car accident. Poe Jr -her husband- left their child James Walter Poe (Jesse´s and Robert´s great nephew) with his Sellers in laws. Much later Wylie Poe Jr. remarried Pauline Battle.
susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.
Dwelling No. 2 Family No. 2
No Male Head of Household.

POE, Elizabeth age 60 born VA husband possible "Clayborn Poe" in Shelby Co AL 1820 and 1830 and Claiborne Poe on the 1840 Jefferson Co AL
Poe, Mary age 40 born TN
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, Robert age 13 born AL (supposed children-not sure-Robert PoeJr,Molly,Amanda,Emma,William,Allien,Mattie)
Poe, Elizabeth age 10 born AL
Poe, WILEY age 9 born AL
Poe, Jesse age 6 born AL soldier in the Union Army
Poe Nancy age 3 born AL
Neighbors on each side Harris, Allen Harris and Benjamin Harris..
(Wiley Poe and his brother Jesse were supposed to have joined the Union Army, but at the moment only Wylies record has been found. Wylie was a soldier in the Union Army 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlisted in Decatur, Alabama.) From this fact I would gather that these boys were very independant thinkers. I Have heard some reports that this caused a rift in the family.

The Watkins, the Actons, and the Poes, as well as the Sellers knew each other over a long period of time. Wylies wifes mother was an Acton. One of the Sellers girls may have married 2 different Scott brothers. A Sellers boy married Passa Watkins, and so on.

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census. Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain. (murdered.)

Wiley Thornton Poe & Nancy Josephine Watkins POE had the following children:
1.Mary died in infancy

2.Wiley Thorton Poe Jr. b. Aug. 7, 1874 married (1) Nora Sellers (she died in a car accident) daughter of William Simpson Sellers and Amanda Sims and had James WALTER Poe b. March 12, 1907 (2) Pauline Battle b. Oct 7, 1903. They had a dau. who is probably still living; the dau. married and they had children.They had children which could be living.

3.Zilpha E. Poe (Zilphey") b. July 11th 1877 b. July 16, 1878, mar: (1) Victor Robyns b. May 4, 1874. It appears they had one child, Louis, b. July 4, 1904

4.Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec 20, 1880, d. April 5, 1944, mar: Mary Augusta Baker b. Aug 16, 1884, d."9/2/74"

5.unknown
Nancy Josephine must have married another Poe brother after Wylie died in 1882 because she says in 1900 she was married 29 years (which puts her back to her original 1871 marriage to Wylie Poe) and she has a Poe son born 1891 (long after her first husband died) still living with her- and that she had a total of 9 children, 4 living (which are accounted for)

8.Carney/Connie Poe Dec 14, 1891, mar: Dixie Bowden, b. Nov 14, 1891 and they had a daughter who could be living.

Nancy Josephine Watkins b. Oct 14, 1855 in Jefferson Co., AL. d.10 June 1932 . the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1832 - 1920 & Zilpha Acton (b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co.,AL died 1888). Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev.William Acton b. 19 April, 1805 in Wayne Co., KY and his wife Elizabeth Lee; they were married 12 Jan 1851 in SHELBY COUNTY, AL.

Jesse R. Poe was my great grandfather. James {Jim} Poe was my grandfather on my fathers side. Lewis Sylvester Poe was my grandfather on my mothers side. I do not know any other Information on this, except that William David was not one of his children as I recall. William David was my father. He was the son of James {Jim} Poe. I do not have any dates on these. My father was born Oct. 5, 1895. Lewis S.Poe married Ruthie Elizabeth Glass had 3 children walter, Manson, and Anna maslene. divorced married McDaniel had 5 children Jack , Joe, Sadie, a girl that died at 15. can't recall the other ones name. Mary Polly Poe came to Alabama from the Carolinas with her brother. The man that was Jesse's father last name was O' Barr.
Virginia P. Hughes

I am looking for anyone with information on the Poes in Jefferson County, Alabama. I've traced my line back to a Mary Polly Poe, who had a son named Jesse Randolph Poe, around 1840. This Jesse R. Poe was apparently born out of wedlock. Jesse R. Poe married Mary Jane McCombs on 9 Aug 1866. Their children were william David, Lewis S., Mary E., James, Georgia Ann, and Nancy.

Anyone who may have more information on these Poes please contact me. Thanks.

Poes in Jefferson County, Alabama. I've traced my line back to a Mary Polly Poe, who had a son named Jesse Randolph Poe, around 1840. This Jesse R. Poe was apparently born out of wedlock. Jesse R. Poe married Mary Jane McCombs on 9 Aug 1866. Their children were william David, Lewis S., Mary E., James, Georgia Ann, and Nancy.
Eric E. Poe

Wiley Poe found on the 1860 Jefferson County, AL. census with Elizabeth, Mary, Jesse etc was my husbands great-grandfather. I lost Wiley when looking on 1870 census. Wiley was in the CW in the Union Army he married Nancy Josephine Watkins ca 1871 (I do have date and the CW Pension papers). They had three children, Dudley Lee Poe Sr, and two other childrens. I have the names and will share information. I have tried to find Wiley's father and the only Poe I have found appears to be "Claiborne" in Jefferson Co., Cahaba Beat. I think perhaps his father was perhaps in Shelby. The Acton' s were a direct line of this family and on the Nancy Josephine Watkins Wiley Poe marriage this line goes back to Thomas Lee who settled in what would become TN. in Hawkins Co TN. Thomas was "Capt Thomas Lee" and I have information from "aunt's" he was a RW soldier. I have not spent the time on the Poe's needed and would like to get my husband interested in his line.

Ann Poe
Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Jessie POE
Self M Male W 40 AL Farmer AL AL
Mary J. POE
Wife M Female W 40 AL Keeping House AL AL
William POE
Son S Male W 12 AL Laborer AL AL
Lewis S. POE
Son S Male W 9 AL AL AL
Mary E. POE
Dau S Female W 8 AL AL AL
James POE
Son S Male W 7 AL AL AL
George A. POE
Son S Male W 5 AL AL AL
Nancy POE
Dau S Female W 1 AL AL AL

NA Film Number T9-0016
Page Number 303D

Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Bluford CORNELION
Self M Male W 54 AL Sadler IN IN
Cloe A. CORNELION
Wife M Female W 51 AL Keeps House VA TN
Anna POE
GDau S Female W 9 AL At Home AL AL
William PATE
Other M Male W 23 AL Sadler NC GA
James CARROL
Other S Male W 19 AL Laborer AL AL
Edmund KING
Other S Male W 27 AL Plasterer AL AL
James BYERS
Other S Male W 19 TX Painter TX TX

NA Film Number T9-0017
Page Number 491D

Household:
Aron POE
Self M Male W 80 TN Farmer NC NC
Amanda POE
Wife M Female W 62 GA Keeps House NOT KNOWN NOT KNOWN
Amanda POE
Dau S Female W 26 AL Works On Farm TN GA

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Sam MCDANNEL
Self M Male W 22 AL Farmer SC SC
Manda MCDANNEL
Wife M Female W 18 AL Keeps House TN TN
Manda MCDANNEL
Dau S Female W 3 AL AL AL

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Joseph MCDANNEL
Self M Male W 67 SC Farmer UN SC
Martha MCDANNEL
Wife M Female W 62 SC Keeps House VA SALEM
Adaline MCDANNEL
Dau S Female W 33 GA Works On Farm SC SC
Marshal MCDANNEL
GSon S Male W 3 AL AL AL
Della A. MCDANNEL
GDau S Female W 2 AL AL AL
John MCDANNEL
Son S Male W 5 AL SC SC

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Charles LEE
Self S Male W 21 AL Farmer AL AL
M. C. LEE
Mother W Female W 42 AL Keeping House TN TN
M. M. LEE
Sister S Female W 15 AL AL AL
William N. LEE
Brother S Male W 17 AL AL AL

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Willey POE
Self M Male W 35 AL Farmer AL AL
Josaphine POE
Wife M Female W 25 AL Keeps House AL AL
Willey POE
Son S Male W 6 AL AL AL
Zilpney POE
Dau S Female W 2 AL AL AL
Thomas HARRIS
Other S Male W 55 AL AL AL

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 315B

Household:
Robert POE
Self M Male W 45 AL Farmer AL AL
Caroline B. POE
Wife M Female W 37 GA Keeps House GA GA
Manda POE
Dau S Female W 16 AL Works On Farm AL AL
Willier POE
Son S Male W 13 MS Works On Farm AL AL
Mattie B. POE
Dau S Female W 11 MS Works On Farm AL AL
Silvester POE
Mollie POE
Emma POE
Dau S Female W 7M AL AL AL

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 319A

Jesse R. Poe was my great grandfather. James {Jim} Poe was my grandfather on my fathers side. Lewis Sylvester Poe was my grandfather on my mothers side. I do not know any other Information on this, except that William David was not one of his children as I recall. William David was my father. He was the son of James {Jim} Poe. I do not have any dates on these. My father was born Oct. 5, 1895. Lewis S.Poe married Ruthie Elizabeth Glass had 3 children walter, Manson, and Anna maslene. divorced married McDaniel had 5 children Jack , Joe, Sadie, a girl that died at 15. can't recall the other ones name. Mary Polly Poe came to Alabama from the Carolinas with her brother. The man that was Jesse's father last name was O' Barr.
Virginia P. Hughes

Eric Poe, descendant of jesse Poe (mother Mary), seemed to believe he was born out of wedlock, so I suppose Wylie could have been also. The Poe name may come from their mother- either she was born a Poe or her husband was a Poe who stayed around only long enough to have the first child and not all of them. Maybe Mary was part indian and did not hold much with marriage.
susan

Poes in Jefferson County, Alabama. I've traced my line back to a Mary Polly Poe, who had a son named Jesse Randolph Poe, around 1840. This Jesse R. Poe was apparently born out of wedlock. Jesse R. Poe married Mary Jane McCombs on 9 Aug 1866. Their children were william David, Lewis S., Mary E., James, Georgia Ann, and Nancy.
Eric E. Poe
1. William "Billy" McCombs, b. c. 1823 in SC, , (son of David McCombs and Sarah Charlotte Sims) occupation farmer. He married (1) Mary Jane "Polly" McDaniel, , married Sept 20 1838 in Jefferson Co AL, , b. c. 1819 in South Carolina, d. bf. 1880 in Alabama. He married (2) Sarah D Baker, , b. 1842, d. in Jefferson Co AL. William died 1896 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cem. Irondale AL. * Following notes received from Melba Clark Jan 2004 (melba.clark@gte.net)

*Census: 1830 AL Jefferson Co pg 171; William would be one of the 2 males
5/10 listed with David McCombs.

*William married Mary Jane "Polly" McDaniel 20 Sep 1838, Jefferson Co., AL
[BK2 pg71]

*Census: 1840 AL Jefferson Co pg 183 line 13; William McCombs; 1 male 15/20;
1 female 20/30

*Census: 1850 AL Jefferson Co pg 187B; LINE 9; H3/F3; McCombs, William 37 b
SC; Polly 31 b SC; Mary 8, David 6, Melisa 5, William 4, Julia 3, John 1.
[Note: Same page with his brothers, Thomas and John.]

*Census: 1860 AL Jefferson Co pg 801 Forks Road precinct; P.O. Elyton; 20
June; line29; F355; McCombs, William 36 farmer $400, Mary 40, Mary 19, David
17, William 15, Melissa 14, Julia A 11, John 9, George 8, Lafayette 6, James
2, John 1. [Note: There are two children named John, one 9 and the other one
1.] [Also note that William and Melissa are reversed in age order from the
1850 census, and her age is yet different on the next census, 1870.]

*Census: 1870 AL Jefferson Co pg 338B (BK PG 308); P.O. CEDAR GROVE; 18 JUN;
Wm 49, farmer; M.J. 56f keeps house; both b SC; S.M. 26f at home; L. 17m;
Jas. 12; ch all b AL.

*Census: 1880 AL Jefferson Co Vol 11 ED66 pg8 T17 R1W; McCombs, Wm 58
farmer SC/SC/SC; dau S.A.M. 37 keeping house b AL/SC/SC; dau Sarah 22 b AL.
[Note: S.A.M. is Sarah Ann Melissa, Wm's dau and the other Sarah is probably
the daughter of David Addison and Arrenna Lathem McCombs who were both
desceased.]

*William and Polly had eight children. After Polly died, William married
second, Sarah D Baker, widow of James S Latham [James was the brother of
Arrena, wife of David Addison McCombs]. William and Sarah married 8 Sep
1883, Jefferson Co., AL [Bk 10 pg 160]. They did not have any children.

*Census: 1900 William's second wife, Sarah 58 b May 1842 AL/AL/AL, is
listed as a widow with her son, Edwin L Latham and his family, Vol 29 E.D.94
SH2 line 14.

*Since his wife Sarah was listed as a widow in 1900, William must have died
between the 1880 and 1900 census. He is buried at the McCombs/Lovick
Cemetery, Jefferson Co., AL. Mary: Parent of at least 8 children Sarah: Following notes received from Melba Clark Jan 2004

SH2 line 14.

Cemetery, Jefferson Co., AL.
Children:
i Mary Jane McCombs, b. c. 1842 in AL. She married Jesse Randolf Poe, married Aug 9 1866 in Jefferson Co AL, b. 1842. Mary died aft. 1910. Jesse: Jesse R. Poe was my great grandfather. James (Jim) Poe was my grandfather on my fathers side. Lewis Sylvester Poe was my grandfather on my mothers side. I do not know any other Information on this, except that William David was not one of his children as I recall. William David was my father. He was the son of James (Jim) Poe. I do not have any dates on these. My father was born Oct. 5, 1895. Lewis S.Poe married Ruthie Elizabeth Glass had 3 children walter, Manson, and Anna maslene. divorced married McDaniel had 5 children Jack , Joe, Sadie, a girl that died at 15. can't recall the other ones name. Mary Polly Poe came to Alabama from the Carolinas with her brother. The man that was Jesse's father last name was O' Barr.

haustin185@aol.com ( Virginia P Hughes)

ii David N. McCombs, b. c. 1844. ,
iii Sarah Ann Melissa McCombs, , , b. c. 1845 in Alabama. ,
iv William J McCombs, b. c. 1846 in Alabama, d. bf. 1865 in In Civil War??.
v Julia Ella McCombs, b. c. 1847. , She married J.W. Jennings.
2. vi John Thomas McCombs b. 1850.
vii Marcus LaFayette McCombs, , b. 1854. He married Rutha F "Ruth" Taylor, b. 1856, d. c. 1932 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL. Marcus died c. 1892 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL.
3. viii James Manuel McCombs b. May 20 1855.

Second Generation

2. John Thomas McCombs, b. 1850. He married Mary "Melvina" Cardwell, married Jun 10 1869 in Jefferson Co AL, b. 1857, d. c. 1899, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL. John died c. 1921 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL.
Children:
i John L McCombs. He married Mary C Glass, married Dec 23 1891 in Jefferson Co AL.

3. James Manuel McCombs, , b. May 20 1855 in Jefferson Co AL, , , occupation Woodsetter. He married Alice Manilla "Mary" Green, , b. Oct 30 1861 in Alabama, , , d. Mar 1938 in Jefferson Co AL. , James died Feb 18 1933 in Bryce Hospital, Tuscaloosa AL, buried: in McCombs/Lovick Cemetery, Jefferson Co AL.
Children:
i Sarah E McCombs, b. c. 1878 in Alabama.
ii Mary J McCombs, b. c. Feb 1880 in Alabama.
4. iii William S McCombs.
iv Josie McCombs, b. c. 1881 in Alabama.
5. v Minnie J McCombs b. c. 1884.
6. vi James Thomas McCombs b. Apr 1886.
vii Lula D McCombs, b. c. 1888 in Alabama. She married Czerny Jerry Spidle, married Dec 18 1909 in Jefferson Co AL, b. c. 1887 in Alabama.
viii Beulah McCombs, b. c. 1890.
ix Ora/Ola McCombs, b. c. 1892 in Alabama. She married Curtis Robinson, married Jun 28 1913 in Jefferson Co AL.
x Jesse Marion McCombs, b. Sept 1896 in Alabama, d. Mar 14 1917 in Lovick, Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs/Lovick Cemetery, Jefferson Co AL.
xi Bertha McCombs.
xii Gracey McCombs, b. c. 1903 in Alabama.

Third Generation

4. William S McCombs. He married Mary Davis Franklin, married Oct 5 1901 in Jefferson Co AL, b. c. 1886.
Children:
i Bessie McCombs, b. c. 1903.
ii Carell McCombs, b. c. 1905.
iii ___relis McCombs, b. c. 1907.
iv Lena M McCombs.
v Milton McCombs, b. c. 1917.
vi Robert L McCombs, b. c. 1923.

5. Minnie J McCombs, b. c. 1884 in Alabama. She married Charles E Thompson, married Apr 29 1904 in Jefferson Co AL, b. c. 1883 in Alabama.
Children:
i Roy F Thompson, b. c. 1907.
ii Sadie L Thompson, b. c. 1909.
iii Willie D Thompson, b. c. 1911.
iv Wade D Thompson, b. c. 1914.
v Daisy V Thompson, b. c. 1916.

6. James Thomas McCombs, b. Apr 1886 in Alabama. He married (1) ____ _____ McCombs. He married (2) Lorene Cunningham, married Jun 17 1931 in Jefferson Co AL.
Children:
i Cecil McCombs, b. c. 1918.
ii Nelson O McCombs, b. c. 1925.
iii Owen Clayton McCombs, b. Feb 13 1933 in Alabama.
iv Doris McCombs. She married ______ McKinney.

I have not read all the messges yet, but we are aware, right, that Dudley Lee Poe, descended from Wiley Thornton Poe, participated in the Poe DNA project? His DNA does not match any other Poe (whether a specific Poe line or an occurence through adoption, etc is not yet known).

http://www.mindspring.com/~poefamily4/DNA/

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jan 5, 2005 9:22 AM
To: POE-L@rootsweb.com
Subject: [POE] Re: Robert Poe

This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/VYABAEB/596.623

Message Board Post from Susan Aldridge:

I would also like to know to whom Mary was married. I assume she is the mother of all the children in the 1850 census. She must also have a couple more children who have left home. Her mother in law must be Elizabeth.

I gathered this info below while looking for information on Nora Sellers husband. Nora was the daughter of William Simpson Sellers and Amanda Sims. Nora married Wylie Thornton Poe Jr.(Robert´s nephew) and had one child before she died in a car accident. Poe Jr her husband left their child James Walter Poe (Jesse´s and Robert´s great nephew) with his Sellers in laws. Much later he remarried Pauline Battle.
susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.

POE, Elizabeth age 60 born VA
husband is possible "Clayborn Poe" in Shelby Co AL 1820 and 1830 and Claiborne Poe on the 1840 Jefferson Co AL POE, Mary age 40 born TN
Poe, John age 20 born AL Poe,
POE,Robert age 13 born AL (supposed children-not sure-Robert Poe Jr,Molly,Amanda,Emma,William,Allien,Mattie)
POE, Elizabeth age 10 born AL
POE, WILEY age 9 born AL
POE, Jesse age 6 born AL soldier in the Union Army Poe POE, Nancy age 3 born AL
(Wiley Poe and his brother Jesse were supposed to have joined the Union Army, but at the moment only Wylies record has been found. Wylie was a soldier in the Union Army 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlisted in Decatur, Alabama.) From this fact I would gather that they were very independant thinkers. The Warkins, the Actons, and the Poes, as well as the Sellers knew each other over a long period of time. Wylies wifes mother was an Acton.

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census. Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain.Wiley Thornton Poe & Nancy Josephine Watkins POE had the following children:
1.Mary died in infancy

2.Wiley Thorton Poe Jr. b. Aug. 7, 1874 married (1) Nora Sellers (she died in a car accident) daughter of William Simpson Sellers and Amanda Sims and had James WALTER Poe b. March 12, 1907 (2) Pauline Battle b. Oct 7, 1903. They had a dau. who is probably still living; the dau. married and they had children.They had children which could be living.

3.Zilpha E. Poe (Zilphey") b. July 11th 1877 b. July 16, 1878, mar: (1) Victor Robyns b. May 4, 1874. It appears they had one child, Louis, b. July 4, 1904

4.Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec 20, 1880, d. April 5, 1944, mar: Mary Augusta Baker b. Aug 16, 1884, d."9/2/74"

5.unknown
Nancy Josephine must have married another Poe brother after Wylie died in 1882 because she says in 1900 she was married 29 years (which puts her back to her original 1871 marriage to Wylie Poe) and she has a Poe son born 1891 still living with her- and that she had a total of 9 children, 4 living.

8.Carney/Connie Poe Dec 14, 1891, mar: Dixie Bowden, b. Nov 14, 1891 and they had a daughter who could be living.

Nancy Josephine Watkins b. Oct 14, 1855 in Jefferson Co., AL. d.10 June 1932 . the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1832 - 1920 & Zilpha Acton (b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co.,AL died 1888). Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev.William Acton b. 19 April, 1805 in Wayne Co., KY and his wife Elizabeth Lee; they were married 12 Jan 1851 in SHELBY COUNTY, AL.

here all the info that I have collected starting with 1850.Since a Poe married Nora Sellers, I tried to find out about him. Sellers is my line.
susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.
POE, Elizabeth age 60 born VA husband possible "Clayborn Poe" in Shelby Co AL 1820 and 1830 and Claiborne Poe on the 1840 Jefferson Co AL
Poe, Mary age 40 born TN husband possibly
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, Robert age 13 born AL
Poe, WILEY age 9 born AL (soldier in the Union Army 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlised in Decatur, Alabama.)
Poe Nancy age 3 born AL

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census. Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain- he was murdered- perhaps because he and his brother were against slavery and the break up of the Uuion and the family itself was having problems with their choice and maybe the locals who murdered him.
1.Mary
2.Wiley Thorton Poe Jr. b. Aug. 7, 1874
3.Zilpha E. Poe b. July 11th 1877
4.Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec.20, 1880
5.possibly one child born after Wylie´s death
Nancy Josephine must have married another Poe brother after 1882 because she says in 1900 she was married 29 years and she has a Poe son born 1891 still living with her- and that she had a total of 9 children
6.Carney/Connie Poe Dec 14, 1891, mar: Dixie Bowden, b. Nov 14, 1891 and they had a daughter who could be living.

Nancy Josephine Watkins b. Oct 14, 1855 in Jefferson Co., AL. d.10 June 1932 . the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1832 - 1920 & Zilpha Acton (b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co.,AL died 1888-Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev.William Acton b. 19 April, 1805 in Wayne Co., KY and his wife Elizabeth Lee; they were married 12 Jan 1851 in SHELBY COUNTY, AL.
Shelby Co., AL.)
1.Mary died in infancy
2.Wiley Thorton Poe jr.married
(1) Nora Sellers (she died in a car accident) daughter of William Simpson Sellers (father is Henderson Sellers who died at Chickamauga GA in War) and Amanda Sims and had James WALTER Poe b. March 12, 1907
(2) Pauline Battle b. Oct 7, 1903. They had a dau. who is probably still living; the dau. married and they had children.They had children which could be living.
3.Zilpha , b. July 16, 1878, mar: (1) Victor Robyns b. May 4, 1874. It appears they had one child, Louis, b. July 4, 1904.

The other Poe children are from another Poe brother most likely, as she states in 1900 she has 9 children including Carney Poe born in 1891 and her name is still Poe.

yesterday I ran across this old email and forgot if I already shared it with you. It is from Nellie- my children's second cousin in Jefferson Co.
susan
From the cousin of my husband -Nellie Sellers
"SUSAN
This James T. Sellers is my grandfather's (Tom Sellers) uncle. He was William Sellers' brother their parents were Henderson and Martha Sellers. If you look under the 1900 census for Amanda Sellers Papa's Mother they will be listed with Papa's sister and a boy name Walter Poe. Walter was Papa's sister son Papa raised him because she died in an accident. Her name was Nora. Don't know her husband's name."
Susan, (ID***2868)

Reference to your post of June 9, 2003, "POE, Wiley". You found " a widowed mother Nancy J. Poe and her 3 children in 1900 Jefferson, AL. You found 3 sons. My husband is the POE and recently he has decided to research his POE line. I've worked on it little by little, it is certainly not easy.

Nancy Josephine Watkins b. Oct 14, 1855 in Jefferson Co., AL. the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins & Zilpha Acton (b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co.,AL-Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev.William Acton b. 19 April, 1805 in Wayne Co., KY and his wife Elizabeth Lee; they were married in Shelby Co., AL.)

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Dec. 1871 in Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain.

They had the following children:
"Mary, died in infancy."

Wiley, married (1) Nora Sellers and had James WALTER b. March 12, 1907 he married Pauline Battle b. Oct 7, 1903. They had a dau. who is probably still living; the dau. married and they had children.They had children which could be living.

Zilpha , b. July 16, 1878, mar: (1) Victor Robyns b. May 4, 1874. It appears they had one child, Louis, b. July 4, 1904.

Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec 20, 1880, d. April 5, 1944, mar: Mary Augusta Baker b. Aug 16, 1884, d."9/2/74" (I am not sure about that date (my husband's line).

You mention a "Carney Dec 1891", My husband has mentioned an "Uncle Connie" other than this Connie Poe (I know of no others) b. Dec 14, 1891, mar: Dixie Bowden, b. Nov 14, 1891 and they had a daughter who could be living.

All of the children of Dudley Lee Poe, Sr. are now deceased. I have found a POE Family on the 1850 Jefferson Co AL census with only a female head of household, and children. On the 1840 Jefferson Co., AL census I found a Claibourn or Claiborne Poe, the census was impossible to be certain of.

Wiley Poe was a soldier in the Union Army, much of the information I have comes from the pension papers. I cannot name living people. But I will share all the information, which is not a lot. Please check the first few post on this board; Shelby Co., Jefferson Co., AL.

My husband is one of the participants in the DNA Poe Project, I really hope that shows us the group he comes from.

The Poe's have left so few clues for us to follow.

I have more but need to review what I have already said, and hope it is correct. I do not know how to get any material to you that may pertain to the living.

A.P.
I found a widowed mother Nancy J.Poe and her 3 children in 1900 jefferson,AL. She was born 1855 and her 3 sons were
Wylie T. b. aug 1874
Dudley dec 1880
carney dec 1891
in the same neighorhood I found a Walter Poe in 1910 in the care of his grandmother Amanda Sims Sellers. The child must belong to a deceased daughter. I am working on this tree and am looking for clues about everyone.Do you have info?
susan aldridge
Looking for Wiley Poe and family. Wiley Thornton Poe married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct. 1871 in Jefferson Co., AL. Nancy Josephine Watkins was the daughter of Stephen Wharton Watkins & Zilpha Acton (Zilpha b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co., AL.) Zilpha Acton was the daugher of the Rev. William Acton b. 19 April 1805 in Wayne Co., KY. and his wife Elizabeth Lee they were married in Shelby Co., AL.

Wiley Thornton Poe & Nancy Josephine Watkins POE had the following children: Zilpha E. Poe, b. July 11th 1877, Wiley Poe b. Aug. 7, 1874 & Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec. 20, 1880. Wiley Poe died 10 Feb 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain.

We cannot locate the father or mother of Wiley Poe. The 1850 Jefferson Co., AL. census gives the following information: Dwelling No. 2 Family No. 2
Poe, Mary age 40 born TN
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, WILEY age 7 (could be 9) born AL
Poe, Jesse age 6 born AL
Poe, Nancy age 3 born AL

I have found what appears to be a Claiborn/Claibourne POE on the 1840 Jefferson County, AL. census. I have no idea if he was the father.

Would appreciate help on this family,
Poe/Watkins/Acton - Members from each of these families are related. I need help with Wiley Thornton Poe, b. 31 Dec 1841 AL. d. 10 Feb 1871 in Birmingham; mar: 4 Oct 1871 in Jefferson Co AL., Nancy Josephine Watkins b. 14 Oct 1855 Jefferson Co., AL. & d.10 June 1832 at Birmingham, Jefferson Co., TN.

Nancy Josephine Watkins was the chld of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1832 - 1920 and Zipha Acton 1837 - 1888; mar: 12 Janc 1851 in SHELBY COUNTY, AL.

Zilpha ACTON was the child of Rev William ACTON born 19 April 1805 at WAYNE CO., KENTUCKY. and Elizabeth LEE.

I have more information. Would appreciate information on the POE'S. Wiley Poe's mother was an Acton and I think there was also a sister Dulcenia.

Does anyone know where the POE'S came from? Thank you.

Ron,
Thank you. These are my husband's ancestors. The Acton's would help lead us to Wiley Poe who appears on the 1870 Shelby County, AL. census living with an Acton. Wiley Poe married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 (I made a mistake on the first post)in Jefferson Co., AL. Nancy was the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1831 - 1920 & Zilpha Acton 1837 - 1888 mar: 12 June 1851 in Shelby Co., AL.

I think his father may have been a Claiborn/Calibourne Poe. This is just about what I sent the first time. Thank you for responding.
Need help on POE Family. The 1840 U. S. Census Jefferson Co., AL. Census Southern District Southern AL. M. Kelly, Ass't. Marshall. (MC 704 Roll 6 Vol 3 (148-257) Henry, Jefferson & Lowndes Co's., AL. 1840.

Claiborn POE 1 male under 5, 1 male 5-10, 1 m 10-15, 1 m 50-60
1 female under 5, 1 female 15-20, 1 female 20-30, 1 female 50-60.

Does anyone know who this man was or any members of the family?

Same sheet: Daniel Watkins, Needham Lee, Joseph Lovelady, William Bailey, Robert Bailey, Archelas Lee.

Help appreciated. Thank you.

This may have already been addressed--there is a Poe family that settled in the Birmingham area. This possibly was Robert Walker Poe 1829-1860, son of William Poe II
and Melvina Walker Poe of Augusta, Georgia.
I believe some of this family still resides in Birmingham. Tinker seems to also be a given name in this family.

Ellen, You replied to my query of May 21, 2001 no 1589. You mentioned a Robert Walker Poe 1829 - 1860 son of William Poe II and Melvina Walker Poe of Augusta, GA.

The 1850 Jefferson Co., AL. census shows Wiley POE with a brother named ROBERT born in AL and a child. No MALE Head of Household. Who was William Poe II? If you do not mind telling me.
Thank you,
AP
Would appreciate help on the following: Wiley POE and wife Nancy Josephine Watkins are shown in a family book as having a child "Mary, died in infancy."

A child named "Wiley m. (2) Nora Sellers" and they had a "son James who married a Battle." This family had children who are probably living today these names will not be mentioned. There is a "Edgar Moody b. 1902 & m. Sarah Daniel." They had children who are probably living today. These children may be able to help with this POE Family?
I noticed that a Paul L. McLaughlin posted "Family of Aaron Poe in Shelby County, Alabama" his post is dated Oct 8, 2001. "In Reply to" Family of Aaron Poe in Shelby Co, AL by Virginia Poe Hughes.

THIS post addresses only part of the post.

I have several questions for Mr. McLaughlin. He stated, "It is my belief that Claiborn POE who was listed in the 1820 census for Shelby Co AL was father to Aaron and grandfather to William C., Robert and Jane and possibly Jesse R.however I have no proof."

Paul also states,"Family legend has it that there was a family split in the POE family due to the Civil War. I know that there were 2 brothers (Jesse and WILEY POE - I have no idea middle initials) who rode with the Union 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) and they were former members of the 18th
AL. Confederate Infantry. My wife's GGgrandfather was William Clayton POE who was a member of the 21st AL Inf. Both these men stayed with the Confederacy until the bitter end. It is my BELIEF THAT THIS WAS THE CAUSE FOR THE FAMILY SPLIT."

I do not understand the statement about Jesse and WILEY POE "were former members of the 18th Al. Confederate Inf.?" I do not know about Jesse Poe. WILEY POE "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlised in Decatur, Alabama. There is no indication that WILEY was ever in the service of the Confederate Army? I agree that a split in the family probably did occur, considering the area the emotions and feelings for many years. My husband's late aunt repeated to me a story that WILEY was murdered on Brocks Gap Shades Mountain by a group of men because of his service in the U. S. Army; the paper published a different story to spare the family.

Jesse and his brother WILEY POE did not have brother's Aaron,or William. They did have brother's John, Robert P., and sisters Elizabeth and Nancy. On the 1850 Jefferson Co AL census a Mary age 40 and Elizabeth age 60 no male head of household.

There was a "Clayborn Poe" in Shelby Co AL 1820 and 1830. I found what looks like a Claiborne Poe on the 1840 Jefferson Co AL census; another lady found "A. Poe 1 m 1-5, 1m 30-40 Farmer--1f 5-10 & 1f 20-30.

I have more census, the dog needs to take her walk. Hope to hear from you and thank you. ap
Wiley Thornton Poe volunteered in Decatur, Alabama on 10 March 1864 as a "Soldier in the Army of the United State of America. Wiley was honorably discharged on or about the 20th of October 1865. Wiley married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 October 1871 in Jefferson County, AL. Nancy Josephine was the daughter of Stephen Wharton Watkins & Zilpha Acton (Zilpha b. 1 Jan. 1837 in Shelby Co., AL.). Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev William Acton b. 19 April 1805 at Wayne Co., KY. and his wife Elizabeth Lee, they were married in Shelby Co., Al.

Wiley Thornton & Nancy Josephine Watkins POE had the following children: Zilpha E. Poe b. July 11th 1877, Wiley Poe b. Aug. 7, 1874 & Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec.20, 1880.

Wiley POE died 10 Feb 1882 at Brocks Gap AL. near Shades Mountain.

Wiley's late granddaughter related the following account of his death. "Wiley & a bunch of men went to Shades Mountain and Wiley was murdered. The newspaper stated he died of a disease. No one ever spoke of this."

None of the above are still living.

Ron.
We are not close enough to come and help, what you have done is really great.

I am seeking information on the ACTON FAMILY as it relates to the Watkins and Poe's. The Poe's have been close to the ACTON'S in almost every generation. Wiley Thornton POE m. Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Jefferson Co., AL. Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census (i've been told).

Nancy Josephine Watkins was the daughter of Stephen Wharton Watkins and Zilpha ACTON (Zilpha was born 1 Jan. 1837 in Shelby Co AL. Zilpha Acton was the dau of the Rev William ACTON b 19 Apr 1805 at Wayne County, KY. and his wife Elizabeth LEE. They were married in Shelby County, AL.

I am trying to find the father of Wiley Poe and I think they may have been in Shelby Co AL. The 1850 Jefferson Co., AL. census:
Dwelling #2 Family #2
No male head of household:
POE, Elizabeth age 60 place of birth VA
POE, Mary age 40 Place of birth TN
POE, John age 20 Place of birth AL
POE, Robert age 13 Place of birth AL
POE, Elizabeth age 10 Place of birth AL
POE, WILEY age 7 (could be 9) place of birth AL
POE, Jesse age 6 place of birth AL
POE, Nancy age 3 place of birth AL

Neighbors on each side named Harris. Allen Harris and Benjamin Harris.

I believe these POE'S were in Shelby Co., AL and closely related to the ACTON'S. The given name Zilpha still goes on.

Do you have any information if these POE'S were possibly in KY with the ACTON'S?

Would appreciate any help. Thank you

Poe in Jefferson Co., AL and surrounding counties

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 6:37AM GMT
Surnames: McCombs Poe

Here are my unedited notes
susan aldridge
I would also like to know to whom Mary (Wylie`s probable mother- also "Polly" is a nickmae for Mary) was married. I assume she is the mother of all the children in the 1850 census below. She must also have a couple more children who have already left home. Her mother in law (or mother)must be Elizabeth Poe age 60. I would go from Claibourne/Clayborn Poe being the most likely husband for Elizabeth. Since everyone is finding a hard time finding the "husnabd" for Mary, could it be possible that she was half Indian and did not find the necessity to marry in the sense that some white people expected? That all her children were "illegitimate" ? Maybe her mother was a full blood.

In order to get into the Alabama area before 1815, did you not have to marry an Indian...something like that. It was sacred hunting ground held for the Indians by the brittish till 1783 when they lost the war.

I gathered this info below while looking for information on Nora Sellers husband. Nora was the daughter of William Simpson Sellers and Amanda Sims. Nora married Wylie Thornton Poe Jr.(Wylie´s son) and had one child before she died in a car accident. Poe Jr -her husband- left their child James Walter Poe (Jesse´s and Robert´s great nephew) with his Sellers in laws. Much later Wylie Poe Jr. remarried Pauline Battle.
susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.

Poe, Mary age 40 born TN
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, Robert age 13 born AL (supposed children-not sure-Robert PoeJr,Molly,Amanda,Emma,William,Allien,Mattie)
Poe, WILEY age 9 born AL
Poe Nancy age 3 born AL
(Wiley Poe and his brother Jesse were supposed to have joined the Union Army, but at the moment only Wylies record has been found. Wylie was a soldier in the Union Army 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlisted in Decatur, Alabama.) From this fact I would gather that these boys were very independant thinkers. I Have heard some reports that this caused a rift in the family.

The Watkins, the Actons, and the Poes, as well as the Sellers knew each other over a long period of time. Wylies wifes mother was an Acton. One of the Sellers girls may have married 2 different Scott brothers. A Sellers boy married Passa Watkins, and so on.

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census. Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain. (murdered.)

1.Mary died in infancy

5.unknown
Nancy Josephine must have married another Poe brother after Wylie died in 1882 because she says in 1900 she was married 29 years (which puts her back to her original 1871 marriage to Wylie Poe) and she has a Poe son born 1891 (long after her first husband died) still living with her- and that she had a total of 9 children, 4 living (which are accounted for)

Virginia P. Hughes

I am looking for anyone with information on the Poes in Jefferson County, Alabama. I've traced my line back to a Mary Polly Poe, who had a son named Jesse Randolph Poe, around 1840. This Jesse R. Poe was apparently born out of wedlock. Jesse R. Poe married Mary Jane McCombs on 9 Aug 1866. Their children were william David, Lewis S., Mary E., James, Georgia Ann, and Nancy.

Eric E. Poe

Wiley Poe found on the 1860 Jefferson County, AL. census with Elizabeth, Mary, Jesse etc was my husbands great-grandfather. I lost Wiley when looking on 1870 census. Wiley was in the CW in the Union Army he married Nancy Josephine Watkins ca 1871 (I do have date and the CW Pension papers). They had three children, Dudley Lee Poe Sr, and two other childrens. I have the names and will share information. I have tried to find Wiley's father and the only Poe I have found appears to be "Claiborne" in Jefferson Co., Cahaba Beat. I think perhaps his father was perhaps in Shelby. The Acton' s were a direct line of this family and on the Nancy Josephine Watkins Wiley Poe marriage this line goes back to Thomas Lee who settled in what would become TN. in Hawkins Co TN. Thomas was "Capt Thomas Lee" and I have information from "aunt's" he was a RW soldier. I have not spent the time on the Poe's needed and would like to get my husband interested in his line.

Ann Poe
Household:
Jessie POE
Mary J. POE
William POE
Lewis S. POE
Son S Male W 9 AL AL AL
Mary E. POE
James POE
Son S Male W 7 AL AL AL
George A. POE
Son S Male W 5 AL AL AL
Nancy POE

NA Film Number T9-0016
Page Number 303D

Household:
Bluford CORNELION
Cloe A. CORNELION
Anna POE
William PATE
James CARROL
Edmund KING
James BYERS

NA Film Number T9-0017
Page Number 491D

Household:
Aron POE
Amanda POE
Amanda POE

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Sam MCDANNEL
Manda MCDANNEL
Manda MCDANNEL

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Joseph MCDANNEL
Martha MCDANNEL
Adaline MCDANNEL
Marshal MCDANNEL
GSon S Male W 3 AL AL AL
Della A. MCDANNEL
John MCDANNEL
Son S Male W 5 AL SC SC

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Charles LEE
M. C. LEE
M. M. LEE
William N. LEE

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Willey POE
Josaphine POE
Willey POE
Son S Male W 6 AL AL AL
Zilpney POE
Thomas HARRIS

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 315B

Household:
Robert POE
Caroline B. POE
Manda POE
Willier POE
Mattie B. POE
Silvester POE
Mollie POE
Emma POE

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 319A

Virginia P. Hughes

Eric Poe, descendant of jesse Poe (mother Mary), seemed to believe he was born out of wedlock, so I suppose Wylie could have been also. The Poe name may come from their mother- either she was born a Poe or her husband was a Poe who stayed around only long enough to have the first child and not all of them. Maybe Mary was part indian and did not hold much with marriage.
susan

Eric E. Poe
1. William "Billy" McCombs, b. c. 1823 in SC, , (son of David McCombs and Sarah Charlotte Sims) occupation farmer. He married (1) Mary Jane "Polly" McDaniel, , married Sept 20 1838 in Jefferson Co AL, , b. c. 1819 in South Carolina, d. bf. 1880 in Alabama. He married (2) Sarah D Baker, , b. 1842, d. in Jefferson Co AL. William died 1896 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cem. Irondale AL. * Following notes received from Melba Clark Jan 2004 (melba.clark@gte.net)

[BK2 pg71]

1 female 20/30

Jas. 12; ch all b AL.

desceased.]

SH2 line 14.

Cemetery, Jefferson Co., AL. Mary: Parent of at least 8 children Sarah: Following notes received from Melba Clark Jan 2004

SH2 line 14.

Children:
i Mary Jane McCombs, b. c. 1842 in AL. She married Jesse Randolf Poe, married Aug 9 1866 in Jefferson Co AL, b. 1842. Mary died aft. 1910. Jesse: Jesse R. Poe was my great grandfather. James (Jim) Poe was my grandfather on my fathers side. Lewis Sylvester Poe was my grandfather on my mothers side. I do not know any other Information on this, except that William David was not one of his children as I recall. William David was my father. He was the son of James (Jim) Poe. I do not have any dates on these. My father was born Oct. 5, 1895. Lewis S.Poe married Ruthie Elizabeth Glass had 3 children walter, Manson, and Anna maslene. divorced married McDaniel had 5 children Jack , Joe, Sadie, a girl that died at 15. can't recall the other ones name. Mary Polly Poe came to Alabama from the Carolinas with her brother. The man that was Jesse's father last name was O' Barr.

vii Marcus LaFayette McCombs, , b. 1854. He married Rutha F "Ruth" Taylor, b. 1856, d. c. 1932 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL. Marcus died c. 1892 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL.

Second Generation

2. John Thomas McCombs, b. 1850. He married Mary "Melvina" Cardwell, married Jun 10 1869 in Jefferson Co AL, b. 1857, d. c. 1899, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL. John died c. 1921 in Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs Cemetary, Lovick AL.
Children:
i John L McCombs. He married Mary C Glass, married Dec 23 1891 in Jefferson Co AL.

3. James Manuel McCombs, , b. May 20 1855 in Jefferson Co AL, , , occupation Woodsetter. He married Alice Manilla "Mary" Green, , b. Oct 30 1861 in Alabama, , , d. Mar 1938 in Jefferson Co AL. , James died Feb 18 1933 in Bryce Hospital, Tuscaloosa AL, buried: in McCombs/Lovick Cemetery, Jefferson Co AL.
Children:
vii Lula D McCombs, b. c. 1888 in Alabama. She married Czerny Jerry Spidle, married Dec 18 1909 in Jefferson Co AL, b. c. 1887 in Alabama.
ix Ora/Ola McCombs, b. c. 1892 in Alabama. She married Curtis Robinson, married Jun 28 1913 in Jefferson Co AL.
x Jesse Marion McCombs, b. Sept 1896 in Alabama, d. Mar 14 1917 in Lovick, Jefferson Co AL, buried: in McCombs/Lovick Cemetery, Jefferson Co AL.
xi Bertha McCombs.

Third Generation

4. William S McCombs. He married Mary Davis Franklin, married Oct 5 1901 in Jefferson Co AL, b. c. 1886.
Children:
iv Lena M McCombs.

5. Minnie J McCombs, b. c. 1884 in Alabama. She married Charles E Thompson, married Apr 29 1904 in Jefferson Co AL, b. c. 1883 in Alabama.
Children:

6. James Thomas McCombs, b. Apr 1886 in Alabama. He married (1) ____ _____ McCombs. He married (2) Lorene Cunningham, married Jun 17 1931 in Jefferson Co AL.
Children:

I have not read all the messges yet, but we are aware, right, that Dudley Lee Poe, descended from Wiley Thornton Poe, participated in the Poe DNA project? His DNA does not match any other Poe (whether a specific Poe line or an occurence through adoption, etc is not yet known).

Message Board URL:

I would also like to know to whom Mary was married. I assume she is the mother of all the children in the 1850 census. She must also have a couple more children who have left home. Her mother in law must be Elizabeth.

I gathered this info below while looking for information on Nora Sellers husband. Nora was the daughter of William Simpson Sellers and Amanda Sims. Nora married Wylie Thornton Poe Jr.(Robert´s nephew) and had one child before she died in a car accident. Poe Jr her husband left their child James Walter Poe (Jesse´s and Robert´s great nephew) with his Sellers in laws. Much later he remarried Pauline Battle.
susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.

husband is possible "Clayborn Poe" in Shelby Co AL 1820 and 1830 and Claiborne Poe on the 1840 Jefferson Co AL POE, Mary age 40 born TN
POE,Robert age 13 born AL (supposed children-not sure-Robert Poe Jr,Molly,Amanda,Emma,William,Allien,Mattie)
POE, WILEY age 9 born AL
(Wiley Poe and his brother Jesse were supposed to have joined the Union Army, but at the moment only Wylies record has been found. Wylie was a soldier in the Union Army 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlisted in Decatur, Alabama.) From this fact I would gather that they were very independant thinkers. The Warkins, the Actons, and the Poes, as well as the Sellers knew each other over a long period of time. Wylies wifes mother was an Acton.

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census. Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain.Wiley Thornton Poe & Nancy Josephine Watkins POE had the following children:
1.Mary died in infancy

5.unknown
Nancy Josephine must have married another Poe brother after Wylie died in 1882 because she says in 1900 she was married 29 years (which puts her back to her original 1871 marriage to Wylie Poe) and she has a Poe son born 1891 still living with her- and that she had a total of 9 children, 4 living.

here all the info that I have collected starting with 1850.Since a Poe married Nora Sellers, I tried to find out about him. Sellers is my line.
susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, WILEY age 9 born AL (soldier in the Union Army 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlised in Decatur, Alabama.)
Poe Nancy age 3 born AL

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Birmingham, Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census. Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain- he was murdered- perhaps because he and his brother were against slavery and the break up of the Uuion and the family itself was having problems with their choice and maybe the locals who murdered him.
1.Mary
Nancy Josephine must have married another Poe brother after 1882 because she says in 1900 she was married 29 years and she has a Poe son born 1891 still living with her- and that she had a total of 9 children
6.Carney/Connie Poe Dec 14, 1891, mar: Dixie Bowden, b. Nov 14, 1891 and they had a daughter who could be living.

Nancy Josephine Watkins b. Oct 14, 1855 in Jefferson Co., AL. d.10 June 1932 . the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1832 - 1920 & Zilpha Acton (b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co.,AL died 1888-Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev.William Acton b. 19 April, 1805 in Wayne Co., KY and his wife Elizabeth Lee; they were married 12 Jan 1851 in SHELBY COUNTY, AL.
Shelby Co., AL.)
1.Mary died in infancy
(1) Nora Sellers (she died in a car accident) daughter of William Simpson Sellers (father is Henderson Sellers who died at Chickamauga GA in War) and Amanda Sims and had James WALTER Poe b. March 12, 1907
(2) Pauline Battle b. Oct 7, 1903. They had a dau. who is probably still living; the dau. married and they had children.They had children which could be living.
3.Zilpha , b. July 16, 1878, mar: (1) Victor Robyns b. May 4, 1874. It appears they had one child, Louis, b. July 4, 1904.

The other Poe children are from another Poe brother most likely, as she states in 1900 she has 9 children including Carney Poe born in 1891 and her name is still Poe.

yesterday I ran across this old email and forgot if I already shared it with you. It is from Nellie- my children's second cousin in Jefferson Co.
susan
"SUSAN
This James T. Sellers is my grandfather's (Tom Sellers) uncle. He was William Sellers' brother their parents were Henderson and Martha Sellers. If you look under the 1900 census for Amanda Sellers Papa's Mother they will be listed with Papa's sister and a boy name Walter Poe. Walter was Papa's sister son Papa raised him because she died in an accident. Her name was Nora. Don't know her husband's name."
Susan, (ID***2868)

Reference to your post of June 9, 2003, "POE, Wiley". You found " a widowed mother Nancy J. Poe and her 3 children in 1900 Jefferson, AL. You found 3 sons. My husband is the POE and recently he has decided to research his POE line. I've worked on it little by little, it is certainly not easy.

Nancy Josephine Watkins b. Oct 14, 1855 in Jefferson Co., AL. the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins & Zilpha Acton (b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co.,AL-Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev.William Acton b. 19 April, 1805 in Wayne Co., KY and his wife Elizabeth Lee; they were married in Shelby Co., AL.)

Wiley Thornton Poe b. Dec. 31, 1841 in Jefferson Co., AL.; married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Dec. 1871 in Jefferson Co., AL; Wiley died 10 Feb. 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain.

"Mary, died in infancy."

Wiley, married (1) Nora Sellers and had James WALTER b. March 12, 1907 he married Pauline Battle b. Oct 7, 1903. They had a dau. who is probably still living; the dau. married and they had children.They had children which could be living.

Zilpha , b. July 16, 1878, mar: (1) Victor Robyns b. May 4, 1874. It appears they had one child, Louis, b. July 4, 1904.

Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec 20, 1880, d. April 5, 1944, mar: Mary Augusta Baker b. Aug 16, 1884, d."9/2/74" (I am not sure about that date (my husband's line).

You mention a "Carney Dec 1891", My husband has mentioned an "Uncle Connie" other than this Connie Poe (I know of no others) b. Dec 14, 1891, mar: Dixie Bowden, b. Nov 14, 1891 and they had a daughter who could be living.

All of the children of Dudley Lee Poe, Sr. are now deceased. I have found a POE Family on the 1850 Jefferson Co AL census with only a female head of household, and children. On the 1840 Jefferson Co., AL census I found a Claibourn or Claiborne Poe, the census was impossible to be certain of.

Wiley Poe was a soldier in the Union Army, much of the information I have comes from the pension papers. I cannot name living people. But I will share all the information, which is not a lot. Please check the first few post on this board; Shelby Co., Jefferson Co., AL.

My husband is one of the participants in the DNA Poe Project, I really hope that shows us the group he comes from.

I have more but need to review what I have already said, and hope it is correct. I do not know how to get any material to you that may pertain to the living.

A.P.
I found a widowed mother Nancy J.Poe and her 3 children in 1900 jefferson,AL. She was born 1855 and her 3 sons were
Wylie T. b. aug 1874
Dudley dec 1880
carney dec 1891
in the same neighorhood I found a Walter Poe in 1910 in the care of his grandmother Amanda Sims Sellers. The child must belong to a deceased daughter. I am working on this tree and am looking for clues about everyone.Do you have info?
susan aldridge
Looking for Wiley Poe and family. Wiley Thornton Poe married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct. 1871 in Jefferson Co., AL. Nancy Josephine Watkins was the daughter of Stephen Wharton Watkins & Zilpha Acton (Zilpha b. 1 Jan 1837 in Shelby Co., AL.) Zilpha Acton was the daugher of the Rev. William Acton b. 19 April 1805 in Wayne Co., KY. and his wife Elizabeth Lee they were married in Shelby Co., AL.

Wiley Thornton Poe & Nancy Josephine Watkins POE had the following children: Zilpha E. Poe, b. July 11th 1877, Wiley Poe b. Aug. 7, 1874 & Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec. 20, 1880. Wiley Poe died 10 Feb 1882 at Brocks Gap near Shades Mountain.

We cannot locate the father or mother of Wiley Poe. The 1850 Jefferson Co., AL. census gives the following information: Dwelling No. 2 Family No. 2
Poe, Mary age 40 born TN
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, Jesse age 6 born AL
Poe, Nancy age 3 born AL

I have found what appears to be a Claiborn/Claibourne POE on the 1840 Jefferson County, AL. census. I have no idea if he was the father.

Poe/Watkins/Acton - Members from each of these families are related. I need help with Wiley Thornton Poe, b. 31 Dec 1841 AL. d. 10 Feb 1871 in Birmingham; mar: 4 Oct 1871 in Jefferson Co AL., Nancy Josephine Watkins b. 14 Oct 1855 Jefferson Co., AL. & d.10 June 1832 at Birmingham, Jefferson Co., TN.

Nancy Josephine Watkins was the chld of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1832 - 1920 and Zipha Acton 1837 - 1888; mar: 12 Janc 1851 in SHELBY COUNTY, AL.

Zilpha ACTON was the child of Rev William ACTON born 19 April 1805 at WAYNE CO., KENTUCKY. and Elizabeth LEE.

I have more information. Would appreciate information on the POE'S. Wiley Poe's mother was an Acton and I think there was also a sister Dulcenia.

Ron,
Thank you. These are my husband's ancestors. The Acton's would help lead us to Wiley Poe who appears on the 1870 Shelby County, AL. census living with an Acton. Wiley Poe married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 (I made a mistake on the first post)in Jefferson Co., AL. Nancy was the dau. of Stephen Wharton Watkins 1831 - 1920 & Zilpha Acton 1837 - 1888 mar: 12 June 1851 in Shelby Co., AL.

I think his father may have been a Claiborn/Calibourne Poe. This is just about what I sent the first time. Thank you for responding.
Need help on POE Family. The 1840 U. S. Census Jefferson Co., AL. Census Southern District Southern AL. M. Kelly, Ass't. Marshall. (MC 704 Roll 6 Vol 3 (148-257) Henry, Jefferson & Lowndes Co's., AL. 1840.

Same sheet: Daniel Watkins, Needham Lee, Joseph Lovelady, William Bailey, Robert Bailey, Archelas Lee.

This may have already been addressed--there is a Poe family that settled in the Birmingham area. This possibly was Robert Walker Poe 1829-1860, son of William Poe II
I believe some of this family still resides in Birmingham. Tinker seems to also be a given name in this family.

Ellen, You replied to my query of May 21, 2001 no 1589. You mentioned a Robert Walker Poe 1829 - 1860 son of William Poe II and Melvina Walker Poe of Augusta, GA.

The 1850 Jefferson Co., AL. census shows Wiley POE with a brother named ROBERT born in AL and a child. No MALE Head of Household. Who was William Poe II? If you do not mind telling me.
Thank you,
AP
Would appreciate help on the following: Wiley POE and wife Nancy Josephine Watkins are shown in a family book as having a child "Mary, died in infancy."

A child named "Wiley m. (2) Nora Sellers" and they had a "son James who married a Battle." This family had children who are probably living today these names will not be mentioned. There is a "Edgar Moody b. 1902 & m. Sarah Daniel." They had children who are probably living today. These children may be able to help with this POE Family?
I noticed that a Paul L. McLaughlin posted "Family of Aaron Poe in Shelby County, Alabama" his post is dated Oct 8, 2001. "In Reply to" Family of Aaron Poe in Shelby Co, AL by Virginia Poe Hughes.

I have several questions for Mr. McLaughlin. He stated, "It is my belief that Claiborn POE who was listed in the 1820 census for Shelby Co AL was father to Aaron and grandfather to William C., Robert and Jane and possibly Jesse R.however I have no proof."

Paul also states,"Family legend has it that there was a family split in the POE family due to the Civil War. I know that there were 2 brothers (Jesse and WILEY POE - I have no idea middle initials) who rode with the Union 1st AL Cav. (U.S.) and they were former members of the 18th
AL. Confederate Infantry. My wife's GGgrandfather was William Clayton POE who was a member of the 21st AL Inf. Both these men stayed with the Confederacy until the bitter end. It is my BELIEF THAT THIS WAS THE CAUSE FOR THE FAMILY SPLIT."

I do not understand the statement about Jesse and WILEY POE "were former members of the 18th Al. Confederate Inf.?" I do not know about Jesse Poe. WILEY POE "Volunteered this Tenth day of March 1864 to Serve as a Soldier in the Army of the United States of America for the period of THREE YEARS" Wiley enlised in Decatur, Alabama. There is no indication that WILEY was ever in the service of the Confederate Army? I agree that a split in the family probably did occur, considering the area the emotions and feelings for many years. My husband's late aunt repeated to me a story that WILEY was murdered on Brocks Gap Shades Mountain by a group of men because of his service in the U. S. Army; the paper published a different story to spare the family.

Jesse and his brother WILEY POE did not have brother's Aaron,or William. They did have brother's John, Robert P., and sisters Elizabeth and Nancy. On the 1850 Jefferson Co AL census a Mary age 40 and Elizabeth age 60 no male head of household.

There was a "Clayborn Poe" in Shelby Co AL 1820 and 1830. I found what looks like a Claiborne Poe on the 1840 Jefferson Co AL census; another lady found "A. Poe 1 m 1-5, 1m 30-40 Farmer--1f 5-10 & 1f 20-30.

I have more census, the dog needs to take her walk. Hope to hear from you and thank you. ap
Wiley Thornton Poe volunteered in Decatur, Alabama on 10 March 1864 as a "Soldier in the Army of the United State of America. Wiley was honorably discharged on or about the 20th of October 1865. Wiley married Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 October 1871 in Jefferson County, AL. Nancy Josephine was the daughter of Stephen Wharton Watkins & Zilpha Acton (Zilpha b. 1 Jan. 1837 in Shelby Co., AL.). Zilpha Acton was the dau. of the Rev William Acton b. 19 April 1805 at Wayne Co., KY. and his wife Elizabeth Lee, they were married in Shelby Co., Al.

Wiley Thornton & Nancy Josephine Watkins POE had the following children: Zilpha E. Poe b. July 11th 1877, Wiley Poe b. Aug. 7, 1874 & Dudley Lee Poe Sr. b. Dec.20, 1880.

Wiley's late granddaughter related the following account of his death. "Wiley & a bunch of men went to Shades Mountain and Wiley was murdered. The newspaper stated he died of a disease. No one ever spoke of this."

Ron.

I am seeking information on the ACTON FAMILY as it relates to the Watkins and Poe's. The Poe's have been close to the ACTON'S in almost every generation. Wiley Thornton POE m. Nancy Josephine Watkins 3 Oct 1871 in Jefferson Co., AL. Wiley is found living with an ACTON on the 1870 Shelby County Census (i've been told).

Nancy Josephine Watkins was the daughter of Stephen Wharton Watkins and Zilpha ACTON (Zilpha was born 1 Jan. 1837 in Shelby Co AL. Zilpha Acton was the dau of the Rev William ACTON b 19 Apr 1805 at Wayne County, KY. and his wife Elizabeth LEE. They were married in Shelby County, AL.

I am trying to find the father of Wiley Poe and I think they may have been in Shelby Co AL. The 1850 Jefferson Co., AL. census:
Dwelling #2 Family #2

I believe these POE'S were in Shelby Co., AL and closely related to the ACTON'S. The given name Zilpha still goes on.

Do you have any information if these POE'S were possibly in KY with the ACTON'S?

I have information that Robert Poe was born in 1845 in Bridgeton. He entered the Confederate army as a pvt. in May 1861 in Co. A 21st AL and continued for 12 months when he was discharged. He re-enlisted as a Pvt. in 1862 in Capt. Moore's Cavalry and continued until surrender.
There was also a William Claybourn Poe born 9/25/1845 born in Bridgeton, lived in Leeds, that entered as a Pvt. in June 1862 in the 30th AL, Co. K and continued until the close of the was when discharged in Salisbury, NC.
I'm sure these are of the same family. My great, great grandfather Jesse Poe fits in there somewhere. I need help fitting the puzzle together.

Re: The Missing Poes -here are my unedited notes

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 6:45AM GMT
Surnames: Poe McCombs
For those of you still looking in Alabama-unedited notes on the family
susan aldridge

susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.

Poe, Mary age 40 born TN
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, WILEY age 9 born AL
Poe Nancy age 3 born AL

1.Mary died in infancy

5.unknown

Virginia P. Hughes

Eric E. Poe

Ann Poe
Household:
Jessie POE
Mary J. POE
William POE
Lewis S. POE
Son S Male W 9 AL AL AL
Mary E. POE
James POE
Son S Male W 7 AL AL AL
George A. POE
Son S Male W 5 AL AL AL
Nancy POE

NA Film Number T9-0016
Page Number 303D

Household:
Bluford CORNELION
Cloe A. CORNELION
Anna POE
William PATE
James CARROL
Edmund KING
James BYERS

NA Film Number T9-0017
Page Number 491D

Household:
Aron POE
Amanda POE
Amanda POE

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Sam MCDANNEL
Manda MCDANNEL
Manda MCDANNEL

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Joseph MCDANNEL
Martha MCDANNEL
Adaline MCDANNEL
Marshal MCDANNEL
GSon S Male W 3 AL AL AL
Della A. MCDANNEL
John MCDANNEL
Son S Male W 5 AL SC SC

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Charles LEE
M. C. LEE
M. M. LEE
William N. LEE

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 309A

Household:
Willey POE
Josaphine POE
Willey POE
Son S Male W 6 AL AL AL
Zilpney POE
Thomas HARRIS

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 315B

Household:
Robert POE
Caroline B. POE
Manda POE
Willier POE
Mattie B. POE
Silvester POE
Mollie POE
Emma POE

NA Film Number T9-0031
Page Number 319A

Virginia P. Hughes

susan

Eric E. Poe

[BK2 pg71]

1 female 20/30

Jas. 12; ch all b AL.

desceased.]

SH2 line 14.

SH2 line 14.

Children:

Second Generation

Children:

Children:
xi Bertha McCombs.

Third Generation

Children:
iv Lena M McCombs.

Children:

Children:

Message Board URL:

susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.

POE, WILEY age 9 born AL

1.Mary died in infancy

5.unknown

susan aldridge

1850 Jefferson Co., AL.
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe Nancy age 3 born AL

1.Mary

Shelby Co., AL.)
1.Mary died in infancy

susan
"SUSAN
Susan, (ID***2868)

"Mary, died in infancy."

A.P.
Wylie T. b. aug 1874
Dudley dec 1880
carney dec 1891
susan aldridge

Poe, Mary age 40 born TN
Poe, John age 20 born AL
Poe, Jesse age 6 born AL
Poe, Nancy age 3 born AL

Ron,

Thank you,
AP

Ron.

Dwelling #2 Family #2

___________________________________-

from karen P Dissa
DE333@worldnet.att.net
ManInRedJR8@worldnet.att.net

I do know that Robert Poe Jr. left home when he was 22 and went to live in Corbin KY. I don't know if the rest of the clan stayed around the Leeds area or not.
The Poe family that I am researching are Robert and Caroline Poe. They had a son named RobertJr. that lived and died in Whitley, KY. His sibling, William, died in Jefferson Co., Alabama 8/2/1933.

Re: Mattie Poe

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 7:21PM GMT
I'm researching her too. I understand that her father Robert Sr. was a Cherokee. I am doing a family tree for the McClinton's and she is ancester of Ruby Greer, Ruby Barnes McClinton, Recie McClinton & James McClinton. I am Recie's wife Sharon McClinton. If you have question my email is twomcclints@peoplepc.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions