Search for content in message boards

Considering purchasing RootsMagic 6 - question for users

Considering purchasing RootsMagic 6 - question for users

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 3:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
I need to purchase new genealogy software and am considering RootsMagic 6.

I have a couple of questions about the color coding features on this version.

1. It looks like you can color code individuals or groups of individuals and ancestors of specific people. However, the colors they show on the sites screen shots look hideous together. How adjustable are these colors? Can the user tone down the intensity of the colors? Can you create your own color scheme?

2. It looks like they have added colors to the "to do" list.

Are these colors adjustable? Can I turn the colors off, or must I look at their preset colors every time I use the "to do" list?

Are there any other pros / cons you have experienced using Roots Magic 6?

Thanks!

Re: Considering purchasing RootsMagic 6 - question for users

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 5:14PM GMT
First let me state that I have no pecuniary interest in any software. I have purchased at least 5 software packages, and test run several others, because I am rather particular. For me colour coding is very useful, but whether they are pretty colours or not is not important. I find the colours that RM6 offers to be attractive enough.

For me other things are important.
1. Easy to learn and use. (Very)
2. Good support. (Excellent. Many ways to obtain it including webinars, phone, forums. I've even talked to the developer!)
3. Excellent citation. (Got it.)
4. Able to handle UK and Canadian facts, documentation and citation. (Got it, again.)
5. Easy to customize. (Yes.)
6. Good for travel. (It has RootsMagic to Go, you can put your tree online, and there is an app.)
7. Easy to query. (Yes. You can ask it any odd thing and get a report.)
8. Inexpensive. (Under 50 bucks including the easy to understand book. No complaints there.)

On the whole, I have found RootsMagic to be far and away the best genealogy software, hands down.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 12:57PM GMT
Thanks for your feedback Penny.

Does RM give uses the option to adjust the colors, or are the bright primary type colors shown on their promotional screen shots all there is?

I have reached out to their customer support, but after several days have not received an answer to this question.

I am also very particular about things such as source citations, and I am impressed with RM's documentation capabilities. But, I am also very visual and it would drive me crazy looking at colors that I find unattractive together.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 8:13PM GMT
There are 14 colors available for color coding. They are: Red, Lime, Blue, Fuchsia, Yellow, Aqua, Silver, Maroon, Green, Navy, Purple, Brown, Teal and Grey.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 1:03AM GMT
The colors are not user adjustable. Some of them look just fine together. For example Blue and Green. Others are not of much use (if you want to read them)like yellow and silver. You cannot toggle the colors on or off. You can only change the color. Even though I use the colors all the time it is not biggest selling point. The software is great. I've used 2 other software packages and this one is the best without question.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 2:21AM GMT
Legacy is the other one I am considering. Have you used both of these? How would you compare them, particularly in regards to citations and research notes etc.?

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 5:07PM GMT
I have also tried many software. The best about RootsMagic is they have many templates for citing sources based on Evidence Explained models. And if you have no templates to use, it allows you to free form write your citations. (best part).

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 2:22AM GMT
Several years ago, I was seriously considering switching to Legacy as it supports same sex relationships but the import of my RootsMagic-generated GEDCOM did not go well. I would have had to edit every fact because Legacy added the "Description" as a place.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic