Search for content in message boards

Anthony and Paulina BENWAY

Anthony and Paulina BENWAY

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
I'm doing research into the above couple who where both born in Canada. Anthony in c 1797 and his wife Paulina b c 1805.

This couple appear on the 1850 NY Census living in Granby Oswego with children:-
Angus 18 NY, Joseph NY 16 George 12 b CANADA, Francis 13 b CANADA and John 8 b CANADA.

I'm hoping to find Anthony and Paulina on any census's in Canada perhaps the 1841, as they do not seem to have moved to the USA until around 1848.

It seems that Anthony became a US citizen also, this from the 1870 Census.

The son George seems to go back to Canada and stay there as well. An obituary for George hopefully will mention parents???

Is there anyway to check for the children born to Anthony and Paulina in Canada so I can match it up with information I have in NY. The 1841 Census may reveal this hopefully.

I have not been able to find Anthony and Paulinas deaths in the US as yet. Anthony died between 1875 and Paulina after 1880 NY.

Any help finding any information on this couple very much appreciated kind regards Dianna from Australia

Re: Anthony and Paulina BENWAY

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 5:36AM GMT

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 5:47AM GMT
HI Thanks for your reply when I can get family search to work on my computer I will have a look at the 1842 Census they should be on there with some children hopefully Kind regards Dianna

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 2:08PM GMT
The 1842 census is head-of-household only.

1851/52 Canadian Census
Hillier Township, Prince Edward County, Canada West (now Ontario)

Benway, Anthony, aged 25, carriage maker, born Canada, Methodist, widower\
Benway, Albert E., aged 2, b. Canada

Albert E. Benway, aged 28, bachelor, gentleman, born Canada, of Collingwood, son of Anthony & Dorcas, married Minnie B. Hyde, aged 20, spinster, born Canada, of Owen Sound, daughter of Patrick & Joan; witnesses not named; 18 October 1877 in Windsor (Essex County).

Florence A. Benway, aged 19, born London, Ontario, of Collingwood, daughter of Anthony A. & Mary Ann, married James Smith, aged 27, born Elmira NY US, of Collingwood, carriage maker, son of Thomas Smith & Jane Coulter; witnesses: Mary Ann McClaren & Anthony A. Benway, both of Collingwood.12 May 1875 in Collingwood (Simcoe County).

Found births for children of Anthony Alexander Benway & Mary Ann Reynolds:

Charlotte, born 27 May 1870 (Simcoe County)
Ada Mary, born 23 April 1873
Charlotte, born 11 August 1875 (first baby with this name must have died)

Anthony is noted as a wagon maker so is likely the same individual as in the 1851 census with a second wife.

Name is likely a version of the French name Benoit.

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:39AM GMT
HI Thanks for your reply but Anthony BENWAY and wife Paulina ? where living in Oswego Co. NY in 1850 and onwards in Granby up until at least 1875 when Anthony disappears.

It seems as though it is just too hard to connect these things up as I do not have a death obit or other information on Anthony and Paulina in Oswego (or anywhere else). So this research has hit the proverbial brick wall. kind regards Dianna

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 1:37AM GMT
Surnames: BENWAY
Hi, Have you searched - Cemeteries in Granby, Oswego Co , New York
http://towngranby.org/content/Generic/View/8
http://towngranby.org/content

Anthony BENWAY age 75 and Paulina BENWAY - age 65 - both appear in the 1870 Census for New York
Anthony is not found after 1875 - so perhaps has passed away - or living with one of the children - or seniors home -if they existed at the time.

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 1:11PM GMT
Yes, but I suspect that the Anthony I have found is a son to Anthony & Paulina, as is George.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic