Search for content in message boards

Higgins family

Higgins family

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Higgins, Schmidt
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have information about the Higgins family. I believe Louisa Higgins may be the mother of my gggg grandmother Juliana Schmidt/Smith. George Bergen, John Beaudhuy, Maria Elizabeth Cruse (Krause?) and Juliana Parry are all listed as witnesses at Juliana's baptism in 1818.

Re: Higgins family

Posted: 8 Jun 2008 8:26PM GMT
My aunt was married to Robert Eneas Higgins (born 1860).
Is this a relative of yours, I don't have any information on
him or his family as yet.

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: Higgins
There was a Robert Eneas Higgins born about 1820 in St Croix. One would assume he was a relative of your uncle RE Higgins born 1860. He had two sons called Robert but I don't know if one had a second christian name Eneas.

Where was your uncle born? One of the Roberts was born 1859 and was a Catholic.

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 7:55AM GMT
Hi Ms. Henderson,

I think I met you at My Uncle Lambert's {Frederiksen) funeral, 1996, in St. Croix.

If the aunt you're referring to is Gysbertina Behagen, then we are related. My Behagen ancestor was Mary Behagen, daughter of Gysbert Behagen and Rose Joseph; Mary married Abraham Christian Meyer and they had 3 children: Gysbert Behagen Meyer, Julia Rosamound [sic] Meyer, and Mary Meyer, my great-grandmother. Mary Behagen Meyer's siblings were George, Juliana, Ann and Elizabeth. I think Gysbertina's mother was either Ann or Elizabeth. Ann later married Peter Netlohcs. Not sure who Gysbertina's father was. Maybe you can fill in the gaps for me. Thanks! Karl Frederiksen

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 11:01AM GMT
Surnames: Behagen
I have been trying to find the mother of Loui Higgins, who was my uncle. He was the son of Robert Eneas Higgins, before his marriage to my aunt, Alexandra Henderson Higgins. He visited us every week. I did not meet you at your father's funeral, but I am happy to meet you now. Please keep in touch.

Posted: 7 Dec 2011 8:03PM GMT
If I'm not mistaken, I think Loui Higgins' mother was Gysbertina Behagen Higgins, the first cousin of my great-grandmother, Mary Meyer Brown. Mary was the daughter of Abraham Christian Meyer and his wife, Mary Behagen, who was the daughter of Gysbert Behagen and Rose Joseph.

Gysbertina Behagen was married to Robert Aenas Higgins, who was a ship's captain and they owned a grocery. They had several children, including Clara/Blanche, Florence (Florie) and, I believe, Loui among others. Gysbertina was an episcopalian and Mr. Higgins was a catholic.

If I find anything more, I'll pass it on to you.

Also check out the book Seven Streets by Seven Streets by Evelyn Richardson, if I recall correctly. This mentions a Higgins (might have been Louis) who along with his wife celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary in 1912 on the same date as the anniversary of the founding of St. Paul's Anglican Church in Frederiksted. I recall the mention of the wife being from Antigua.

Thanks for your response.

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 9:46AM GMT
I think I once came across a HUGGINS family on St. Croix in a mid-1800's census. You might check to see if that was a misspelling of your HIGGINS.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 10:23AM GMT
Loui is unlikely to be the son of Robert Eneas Higgins born 1820. Robert Eneas and Gysbertina Behagen had a son Robert born abt 1860. It could have been this Robert who had a son Loui.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions