BARKERS OF NORTH CAROLINA

Posted: 10 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jan 2002 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: BARKER, WYATT, LOWREY
STILL SEARCHING FOR MINNIE BARKER'S FAMILY. I FOUND HER
FATHER'S NAME WAS J.L. BARKER BORN IN NORTH CAROLINA AROUND
1850. STILL DO NOT KNOW HER MOTHER'S NAME. IT MAY HAVE BEEN
MARGARET WADE. HER FATHER OWNED BARKER FARMS IN TENNESSEE.
HE DIED SOMETIME IN THE MID 1920'S. J.L. BARKER WAS LISTED
ON THE CENSUS OF 1910 IN TENNESSEE AS A 60 YEAR OLD MALE BORN 11-6 IN NORTH CAROLINA. HIS MOTHER AND FATHER WERE ALSO
BORN IN NORTH CAROLINA. HE HAD SEVERAL CHILDREN, BUT ON THE
1910 CENSUS ONLY THREE WERE STILL LIVING AT HOME, INEUS (?)
SON AGE 24, LEONARD AGE 22, SON AND MY GRANDMOTHER MINNIE
AGE 19.MY GRANDMOTHER MARRIED JAMES WYATT IN THE MID 1920'S
AND HAD TWO CHILDREN MY MOTHER VIRGINIA MAE WYATT BORN IN
1927 AND JAMES WYATT JR BORN IN 1929. SURELY SOMEONE KNOWS
THESE PEOPLE BECAUSE J.L. BARKER HAD SIX CHILDREN TWO OTHER
DAUGHTERS WERE NAMED MAGGIE AND ELLIE AND THERE WAS ANOTHER
SON I DON'T REMEMBER HIS NAME.J.L. BARKER OWNED BARKER FARMS
WHICH MY MOM SAYS WAS WELL KNOWN IN THE AREA THEY LIVED IN.
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE BARKERS/WADES FROM
NORTH CAROLINA PLEASE E MAIL ME OR POST A MESSAGE, THANKS.
PEGGY LOWREY BAKER
PEGGY
N
IF

DDD

SSSZ AGE

J.L. Barker

Stacie Barker (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Barker
My G-Grandfather John Barker married a Margaret Watson. A couple of my records show that he may have been from NC.

Im not sure about the names of all of his children, but my Grandfather was also named John Barker(Jr.), as well as my father John Franklin Barker.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John L.

Posted: 7 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dear Peggy,

Some of my research has suggested that he might have lived in TN at one time. Im not sure where my G-Grandfather was born, but my Grandfather was born APR 03 1900, and I have some type of employment ID card that states he lived in a town called Elizabeth in 1938 (no street address or state).

Could Margaret have died giving birth, or shortly after? (Its possible)

And as far as brothers and sisters go....Im at a complete loss; anything is possible.

I will gladly keep you posted on anything I find.

Thanks,

Stacie

John L. Barker

Posted: 7 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dear Stacie,

Did your John Barker move to Tennessee? My great grandfather John Barker was born in North Carolina. I don't know when he moved to Tennessee, it may have been as a child. Mama told me his wife's name was Margaret. She couldn't recall the last name, she thought it was Wade, but it could have been Watson. She just knew it started with a "W" Do you have any other information on the family? I know that Margaret died around 1900, mom says she was fairly young, around 40, and that John never remarried. My grandmother Minnie Barker was only about 9 years old when her mom died. Mom was not sure of all of the brothers and sisters of her mom, She remembers a Maggie, Ellie and Leonard and Inus (Enos) don't know how it is spelled. But Enos and Lenoard died in the during the spanish influenza outbreak that hit the U.S. in 1918. This was before my mom was born. When was your grandfather born? There may have been a brother named John Jr. also. Would appreciated any information you can give me on the family.

Thanks,

Peggy Lowrey Baker

BARKERS OF NORTH CAROLINA

Posted: 8 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BARKER
Dear Stacie,

It is very possible that Margaret died either giving birth or shortly afterwards. My grandmother was born in 1891. Mom says that her mother died around 1900, when my grandmother was around nine or ten years old. I've never been told how she died, but I know she was only in her late thirties or maybe just barely 40, young enough to have a child. We think we have just discovered older women giving birth, but in my researches I have found that numerous women gave birth after 40 and some up to almost 50 years of age, and these women were having up to 17 children. No kidding, on my dad's side of the family one ggg grandmother had 17! It is possible that Margaret died giving birth to your grandfather, did he ever talk about his mother? Or she may have died shortly after. Also, I know this sounds strange, but does anyone in your family have hearing disabilities?
My grandmother Barker-Wyatt went totally deaf, and my mom her daughter is now almost deaf. I have a very severe nerve degeneration myself. I am 49 and am have been losing my hearing for the last 15 years, also a couple of my brothers have it. It seems to run on the Barker side of the family.
Please write me back, and keep me posted.

Thanks,

Peggy.

Barkers

Posted: 9 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Dear Peggy,

My grandfather never really talked about his family. Also, my grandmother was married 3 times, and had 11 children (my dad being the youngest). Needless to say,I have a very confusing family line, and none of them seem to know much about his family either.

One of the few things I have found out lately,is that he lived in Elizabeth R-4, Wirt County, WV in 1938. I found an old work ID of his, and I am now trying to find some type of link to him there.(Its the best lead I have at the momment)

As far as the hearing problems go, yes, it does seem to run in my family. Fortunately, I am only 29 and havent had to deal with that yet.

Thanks,

Stacie Barker

North Carolina/TN Barker

Posted: 11 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2003 1:30AM GMT
William Barker and son, John Wesley, b. 1841, both born in NC, perhaps Caswell Co, then moved to Carroll County, TN probably before 1850; there were other Barkers living in Carroll Co. TN about 1850 that may have been kin.

Barkers of Iowa

Posted: 18 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2002 9:35PM GMT
Minnie, Bessie, George, Edward, Mable, Myrtle Barker. Iowa

Barkers of Iowa

Laurel (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Barker Swale Hunt
I have a George Barker, my g.g.g. grandfather,born in Yorkshire around 1820. Married to Isobelle Swale, children were Sam, Edward, James and Isobelle. They settled in Chickasaw County, Iowa. I have more information if interested. Email me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions