Search for content in message boards

Alabama S. Gross, Maine (1841-1911)

Alabama S. Gross, Maine (1841-1911)

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 2:06AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Gross, Brewster, French
I have no connection to this family. This appeared in the Jan. 19, 1911 issue of the Rockland (Maine) Gazette:

"IN SEVEN SHIPWRECKS. Death of Capt. Alabama Gross Whose Seafaring Career Was Filled With Danger. Capt. Alabama Gross of this city, whose life had been seven times imperiled by shipwrecks, died in a hospital on Staten Island Wednesday night, aged 71. The remains were brought to this city Thursday and will be buried from the family residence on Brewster street Saturday afternoon, under Masonic honors.

Capt. Gross commenced going to sea when he was 15, in the Sch. Chieftain, and sustained frozen hands, eaers and feet when that craft was wrecked on Chatham Bar in the month of February. He was with Capt. Z.F. Brewster in the Sch. Mary Wise when that vessel was run into off Cape Cod. The vessel was picked up by a steamer and towed for 12 hours, when the hawser parted and the vessel and her suffering crew went adrift, and were afterwards taken off by the brig Emily of Deer Isle.

In 1872 Capt. Gross was with Capt. Ezra French in the Sch. Richard Bullwinkle when that vessel was wrecked on Bartlett's Reef. The crew was taken off by Schooner Portland, losing their effects. Two years later, Capt. Gross was wrecked on Sandy Hook in brig John Avele of Boston. The men were rescued by volunteer lifesavers from the shore. In 1877 Capt. Gross was in command of Sch. Post Boy, which was sunk at Port Jefferson in a furious gale. The vessel was raised and discharged and in the following yeare, Capt. Gross still in command, went onto Otter Island Ledge and became a total loss.

The seventh and last shipwreck in which Capt. Gross figured was the one which came nearest to ending his seafaring career. While he was in command of Sch. Lucy Jones, Feb. 5, 1892, that vessel was sunk near Cross Rip lightship by Steamer City of Savannah. The mate and two seamen were lost overboard and drowned. Capt. Gross had three ribs broken.

Other vessels which he commanded subsequent to this chain of disasters, were the schooners Olive Branch, S.J. Lindsey and Mary Brewer.

During the past few years he had shipped as steward. His last service was on barge No. 2 of the Rockland-Rockport Lime Co.

Capt. Gross was a member of Aurora Lodge, F.A.M. and Knox Lodge, I.O.O.F. The funeral services Saturday afternoon will be under the auspices of the Masons. Deceased is survived by his wife, one son and one daughter."

I did a little more digging about Capt. Gross and found his d.o.d. was Jan. 9, 1911. He is buried in the Achorn Cemetery in Rockland, Maine.

In the 1900 census, in Rockland, Maine, Capt. Alabama Gross (born Apr. 1841 in Maine) is listed as living with his wife, Abbie (born Sept. 1851 in Maine), his daughter, Nettie M. (born May 1877 in Maine) and his son, Lester O. (born Jan. 1884 in Maine). Alabama and Abbie are listed as being married in 1867.

Re: Alabama S. Gross, Maine (1841-1911)

Posted: 16 Nov 2013 9:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Alabama Gross is my great grandfather. His grandson, my dad, died in the spring on 2013 at the age of 95. Many of his great grandchildren live in the Camden area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions