Search for content in message boards

Fearl Edward POPE and Floy Myrtle Hebel Christian IL

Fearl Edward POPE and Floy Myrtle Hebel Christian IL

Deborah (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2005 4:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 May 2012 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: Pope, Hebel
Im looking for information on this line of Popes. Fearls parents are Thomas Edward and Mattie Ann Massey. Thomas parents are James Newit Pope and Kisiah Clarice Pyatt James parents are John Pope and Rachel Pope (a cousin to John) and then I'm stuck anybody know any info on this line of Pope's?
Deborah
discostu@aabol.com

Re: FEARL EDWARD POPE AND FLOY MYRTLE HEBEL CHRISTIAN IL

Posted: 8 May 2008 2:38AM GMT
Surnames: Pope, Sturdivant
Are you referring to Christian County, IL?

If so, I have Popes who came to Pana and Taylorville in the 1850's. Abel Smith Pope + Catherine Herkimer Rosengrantz from NY. Son Henry Horatio Pope + Lydia Sturdivant. Others I can look up if you think this might be the same family.

Barbara M.

Posted: 8 May 2008 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: POPE,HEBEL
Yes Chirstian Co. IL.
I'm not sure at this point if there is a connection. I do know there were cousins but I have not come up with the name Abel Pope on my line so far. I do have some Henrys. James Newett Pope married a Kisiah Clarice Piatt or Pyatt and had 4 children that I know of William H., Charles M., John W., and Thomas E. who married Mattie Ann Massey Thomas was born 3-8-1878. one of there son's was Fearl Edward Pope b. 10-15-1900 in Pana Christian IL. and he married Floy Myrtle Hebel she to was born in Pana Christian IL. in 1902. I have a lot of info on the Hebel line. Floy and Ferl had 4 children one of which is Paul and he is my line, still living. Please email me at my discostu@aabol address and we can furter converse. Thanks for your reply.
Deborah

Posted: 9 May 2008 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Pope
Deborah,

Thanks for your reply. Here's what I found out about my Pope relatives in Christian Co.:

Abel Smith Pope died Aug 27, 1873 Pana, IL. His wife Catherine Herkimer Rosengrantz died Dec. 23, 1896 in Pana. They came to Christian Co. in 1853 from NY and was a member of the First Baptist Church in Pana (does that church still exist?)

Children: Henry Horatio Pope b. Jan 1 1838, d. abt. 1866 Franklin, LA; Henrietta Marie b. Oct 7 1842, d. July 11 1913 Bloomington, IL (was educated at State Normal U. and was a teacher); Melissa b. Feb 14 1844, d. June 27 1872; George Herkimer died young; James W. b. Mar 10, 1848, d. May 27 1898 m. Sarah Corley at Fairfield. One daughter Frances Lucile b. Apr 11, 1897; Sarah E. died young.

Henry Horatio Pope had a son Henry Smith Pope b/ Oct 29 1867, d. Feb 3 1908 Pana, unmarried.

So it appears that the only descendant of this family would be Frances Lucile, daughter of James W. Pope and Sarah Corley and if she married, her married name is unknown. So no one with the Pope surname as far as I know.

Sorry, I guess we are not connected after all. But perhaps you can answer a question for me. Is there a Christian Co. or Pana Historical Society? I'm trying to find a source of information on the death of Col. Henry Horatio Pope. I'm supposing that his body was shipped back home for burial and that it might have been a well known story at the time. I know his wife came back to Pana and remarried. I believe her second husband died also and she lived with her son Henry in Springfield for a while.

I'm would like to write a story about his murder in LA and was hoping I could find some information in Pana or surroundings, perhaps contemporary newspaper articles.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barbara

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 11:28AM GMT
im from the line of newett pope /from macon co illinois i have some info fon thomas f s/o thomas e/ mattie massey email me ar janetj151@yahoo.com

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 11:29AM GMT
ITS JANETJ1951 @YAHOO,COM

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 5:13PM GMT
Hello please email me at discostu@aabol.com directly so we can connect.
Thanks deborah

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 5:25PM GMT
Barbara so sorry I have taken so long to reply. We started a new business and I have been down there 24/7 so now lets see.
Christain Co is south of Decatur, Decatur is right about in the center of IL. Pana is in the bottom right of Christian CO.
I'm not from there so I really don't know. But my guess is there is a HIstorical society. And or a local library that would have that info. try googling it.
Deborah

Posted: 20 May 2012 4:45PM GMT
Hi Barbara,
I was doing some research on H H Pope and saw your post dated 8 MAY 2008. If you would like to exchange informationon on the Henry Pope line drop me a line.
My great grandfather was Hiram Rosengrant who served with Henry Pope in the Civil War. They were cousins in the 33rd Illinois Infantry.
Regards,
CARL

Posted: 21 May 2012 1:33AM GMT
Hi Carl,

Yes, I would like to share information on Henry. I've accumulated some information on his death in LA. I don't know how much you know about that.

I think there may have been another cousin in Christian Co. I saw this the other day, but haven't had time to look into it. There was someone named Poleman, I think also in the 33rd IL who could actually be Pohlman, a family who married into the Popes several times. My 3ggrandmother was Eleanor Susannah Pohlman who married Horatio Gates Pope, son of Timothy Pope and Hannah Smith in St. Lawrence Co NY. I'm the gggrandaughter of Horatio Gates and Susannah Pohlman's daughter Louisa Eleanor Pope married to Silas Polley.

How do you fit in?

Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions