Search for content in message boards

Tidworth Military Cemetery - Photo of Grave request

Tidworth Military Cemetery - Photo of Grave request

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Nov 2009 1:19PM GMT
Hi,

Does anyone have access to Tidworth Military cemetery? My great uncle who died in 1921, following an illness whilst in military service, is buried there. I have the plot number details. On his service record it states that the body was not claimed by relatives. I believe that they would have been too poor to do so. Is it likely that the military would have supplied a headstone for him? I would be most grateful if anyone lives nearby and would be willing to check the plot for a gravestone and provide a photo if there is one? Sadly, his grave has never been visited by any relatives.

Kind Regards

Angela

Re: Tidworth Military Cemetery - Photo of Grave request

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 5:43PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 28 Feb 2013 11:49AM GMT

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 10:49PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2009 6:23AM GMT
Surnames: ward
Hi Jean,

Many thanks for your reply. That would be fantastic. My great uncle is Patrick Ward and the burial details I have are NO. 90, Plot A. I dont know how the cemetery is set out so if it proves too difficult to find dont worry. Im grateful for your offer to look.

Kind regards and thanks again.
Angela

Posted: 10 Dec 2009 4:08PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 28 Feb 2013 11:50AM GMT

Posted: 10 Dec 2009 9:31PM GMT
Hi Jean,

Thank you so much for visiting the grave for me. I am so very grateful. I hope it wasnt too much trouble, between finding it and asking the caretaker. That was really good of you.

Its very sad there is no stone. I just presumed the military would have erected one. But I guess because he was only in the army six months and not a war veteran that the family must have been expected to pay for one at the time. I might just try and get contributions from all the family!

My great-uncle wasn't Australian. He was Irish and lived in Scotland when he signed up. He was based at Bulford training camp and died in Tidworth Military Hospital. Seems strange he was buried in the Anzacs secion?!

Thanks again for your kind help.
A
bhoyle1(at)hotmail.co.uk

Posted: 12 Dec 2009 3:00PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 28 Feb 2013 11:48AM GMT

Posted: 12 Dec 2009 4:54PM GMT
Hi Jean,

Thats perfect. Thank you so much again for your time and effort. I very much appreciate it.

Angela
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions