Search for content in message boards

Detroit Street Addresses

Detroit Street Addresses

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 3:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for some history regarding Detroit street names and addresses, to help with my family ancestry research. I'm finding that street addresses of family members listed in census reports, locate them in areas of the city that do not align with where they were known to reside. I'm also seeing unfamiliar street names listed in neighborhoods that I am familiar with. Can anyone out there offer up any suggestions as to where I might find a history of Detroit street names and addresses?
Thanks.....Doug

Re: Detroit Street Addresses

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 4:18PM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2011 4:23PM GMT
Detroit Street addresses were renumbered about 1921
So if you have a street address prior to 1921 then the address has to be converted
See
http://stevemorse.org/census/changes/DetroitChanges2.htm
to convert old addresses to current street address.

This does not account for street name changes which have to be located by finding adjacent streets. An old street guide prior to 1965 will be helpful as many streets no longer exist due to expressway construction.

I remember seeing the old addresses on homes.

Rodney

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 12:10AM GMT
Steve Morse also has Detroit street name changes.

http://stevemorse.org/census/changes/DetroitChanges.htm

If your family lived in areas where mine did, google maps usually shows a vacant lot or a really run down house. What a shame.

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 6:55PM GMT

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 12:03AM GMT
Thanks for this amazing link! Using the address cross reference, I have been able to get everybody back in their respective neighborhoods. I've also been able to locate lost relatives by using the Polk Directory link, accessible through the Steve Morse web site(the 2nd Polk link is higher quality).
BTW - You must be quite a sinor member of the population, if you can remember the old addresses!
Thanks - Doug

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 2:25PM GMT
Not quite that old, I am from the eight track, Vietnam era.

In the mid 60's I had a job with Detroit Edison and worked in the older neighborhoods. On the homes one could still see the painted over older addresses. At the time I thought that they were a curious oddity.

Rodney
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions