Search for content in message boards

Violet Bobzene/Bobzin/Holzapfel/Buehler

Violet Bobzene/Bobzin/Holzapfel/Buehler

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 9:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Buehler, Holzapfel, Bobzene, Bobzin
Hi,

I am researching what happened to a little 15 year old girl that ran away from Chicago to New York on Nov. 25, 1911. She was the un-formally adopted daughter of Anna and Herman (or Frank) Buehler of Chicago.

Her real mother married Frank Bobzene/Bobzin @ 1894. The couple had 1 son: John @ 1894, and Violet @ 1896. Frank had 3 brothers: Dr. Edwin C. Bobzin, John Bobzin, and Dr. R.R. Bobzin. Frank left Violet's real mother for a woman named Molly and moved to New York. Afterwords, Violet's mother supposedly kept the son and abandoned the little girl. She later remarried to a William Holzapfel of 1353 Sedgewick St., Chicago.

Violet had an aunt named Mr. P. Davidson who lived in Racine, Wis. She also had a grandmother named Mrs. Barbara Peters.

Mrs. Anna Buehler had a brother-in-law named Fred Bothman.

Violet wast he subject of several newspaper articles, which I have but can't attach since they are in .pdf format. But I have attached some photos. It seems that she was sent to juvenile court in Chicago under Judge Pickney on or about Jan. 26, 1912. I do not know where she went after that.

Mr. Herman or Frank Buehler either died on 12/9/1940, or he dies in 1909. Mr. William Holzapfel either died on 3/26/38 or 2/19/45. Both in Cook County records. Not positive on Anna or Violet's birth mother.

Is there any way to find out what happened to this young girl? I would be happy to send the newspaper articles to anybody who would research this.

Thanks,

Yvette Davis
Attachments:

Re: Violet Bobzene/Bobzin/Holzapfel/Buehler

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 4:07AM GMT
Yvette,

Do you know the full maiden name of Violet's mother? Was PETERS her maiden name, or was Violet's grandmother Barbara married more than once? Where did Barbara Peters live?

Do you already have census information for any of the people mentioned in your post? In 1910, a William HOLZAPFEL with wife Adelina and son John are enumerated in Chicago.

John HOLZAPFEL (born Aug 1 1894) registered for the WWI draft (1917); do you have his draft card scan? William HOLZAPFEL (born Dec [11?] 1972] also registered for the WWI draft and lists Adelina as his wife.

Have you procured death certificates or obituaries or probate/will documents for any of the people you list? One or more of these might mention Violet

FOUND: Herman BUEHLER obit

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 4:59AM GMT
Attached obit for Herman BUEHLER was published in 1940Dec10 BUEHLER Herman OBIT ChicagoDailyTribune
Attachments:

Re: FOUND: Herman BUEHLER obit

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:14PM GMT
Surnames: Buehler
Yes, I found the same obit too.

It mentions sons but nothing about Violet. I wanted to look up the death certificate for him, but the state of Illinois apparently has placed restrictions on who can get them. Do you know anything about that? The Cook County Clerk's Office says:

"Under state law, you may legally obtain a copy of a death certificate if you are a relative or can prove a financial interest in an individual's death."

What happens if you are doing historical research and aren't a relative??

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:20PM GMT
Surnames: Buehler, Bobzin, Bobzene, Holzapfel
I wish I had the full maiden name of Violet's mother, but I would have to see Violet's birth certificate to get it, wouldn't I? None of the newspaper articles I've read mention it.

Since I don't live near a census office here, I don't have access to the census records. I've looked so far at the Social Security records to get my information. Don't know how to obtain draft card information.

About the probate information, I'd have to know what year the probate was done so that I could obtain legal records form the Cook County circuit court. I believe they charge $xx.xx per year to look this stuff up. Without a copy of the death certificate, I'm not 100% positive that the obit I saw was for Violet's stepfather.

So many little pieces of data missing....

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:25PM GMT
Here is a copy of the newspaper article from 1912 regarding her running away and being found in New York. (See attached).

She was a real-life runaway heiress - but what really happened to her after that?

Attachments:

1905: Violet with BUEHLERS, next-door to PETERSONs in Racine

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 12:44AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Buehler, Peterson, Nelson
1905 Wisconsin State Census, Racine county, Racine

BUEHLER, Frank, head, 43, married, born GER, parents born GER, SaloonKeep, rent house
Anna, wife, 38, married, born DEN, parents born DEN
Violet, daughter, 9, single, born IL, parents born GER & DEN

PETERSON, [Peter?], head, 41, married, born DEN, parents born DEN, Bartender, rent
Katie J., wife, 22, married DEN, parents born DEN
NELSON, [Man?], mother-in-law, 72, widowed, born DEN, parents born DEN

Possible death for Violet's biological mother

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 1:28AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Holzapfel
This may be Violet's biological mother:

HOLZAPFEL ADELAIDE
Illinois Death Certificate # 6033572
died 1920-12-20 in IL, COOK County, CHICAGO

Visit
http://www.cookctyclerk.com/pdf/Death%20Request%20English.pd...

Print the form and mail in with $15 to receive a copy of the death certificate, which may indicate Adelaide's maiden name.

Violet Bobzene/Bobzin Buehler NOT an heiress

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Bobzine, Buehler
"She was a real-life runaway heiress - but what really happened to her after that?"

I have found 1912 news items clarifying that Violet was NOT an heiress at all, and that the "background story" was used to generate newspaper coverage to help in locating her.

I also found a Marshfield WI newspaper article about Violet being found, which includes a very good photo of her. If you would like these documents, contact me at:

metaphor4 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net

Violet Beuhler turned over to "real mother," Mrs. Wm. HOLZAPFEL, in Feb 1912

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Buehler, Beuhler, Holzapfel
Titusville Herald, Titusville PA, Sat. Feb 24 1912 p3
VIOLET BEUHLER HAS PROMISED TO BE GOOD

By Associated Press.

CHICAGO, Feb. 23. -- Violet Beuhler, 16 years old, who ran away from her foster mother, Mrs. Herman BUEHLER, Nov. 15 and was found in New York weeks later, today promised the juvenile court judge that she would "be good" and was turned over to her real mother, Mrs. William HOLZAPFEL.

A parole officer of the court will watch over her.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions