Search for content in message boards

Potter Family

Potter Family

Kate Terres (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2002 5:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: POTTER, WILBUR,STOKES, BENTON, WEAVER, SCRANTON, SUPLER. MCCLEERY, HUNSAKER
Tia, since I posted I have received our line of Potters from my cousin who is an accomplished researcher. It is as follows:
Nathaniel Potter(1616 Eng) mar Dorothy Wilbur(1617 Eng) Their sons- Nathaniel Potter 1637 Portsmough, RI, Abel Potter abt 1639 RI, Ichabod Potter 1640 RI, Robert Potter 1641. Nathaniel Potter (1637 RI) mar Elizabeth Stokes(1640 Mass) Their sons- all born in Dartmouth, Mass.:Samuel Potter 1674/75,Stokes Potter 1665,John Potter 1669,William Potter 1671,Benjamin Potter 1673,Ichabod Potter 1677,Nathaniel Potter abt 1669. Samuel Potter (1674/75 Dartmouth, Mass.) mar Sarah(Mary)Benton (1681) Their sons- all born in Dartmouth, Mass.: Aaron Potter 1701,Nathaniel Potter 1703,Fear Potter 1705,Benjamin Potter 1714,Samuel Jr. Potter 1714, Job Potter 1717. Aaron Potter (1701 Mass) mar Hopesill unknown(abt 1701) Their sons:all born in Dartmouth, Mass: John Potter 1722,Soughton Potter 1725,Champlain Potter 1727,Thomas Potter 1729/30. Stoughton Potter (1725 Mass) married Ruth Weaver. Their sons- Humphrey Potter 1755 Dartmouth, Mass. Ichabod Potter, Meribah Potter. Humphrey Potter (1755 Dartmouth) mar Mary Scranton. Their sons: John Potter, Benjamin Potter Stoughton abt 1785. Stoughton Potter (abt 1785 Mass( mar Margaret Supler (1787 Pa) Their sons: James Potter, Samuel Potter 1822 Washington Co., Pa., Jackson Potter 1824 Pa(lived in Liberty, Adams Co., Ill(He had 2 sons: James 1852 & George 1857) Samuel Potter (1822 Pa) mar Sarah Jane McCleery (1825 Pa) Their sons: Thomas Potter 1852 Ill.(2sons:Clarence C and guy Russell), Samuel william Potter 1853 Ill(1 son Harvey). Their dau: Sarah Jane Potter 1845 Ill, Margaret Ann (Maggie(Potter 1847 Ill.mar John Y. Hunsaker 1843 Ill, Martha Elizabeth Potter(Mattie)1849 Ill., Cora 1868 Ill. Margaret Ann and John Young Hunsaker are my great grandparents.

Re: Potter Family

Posted: 30 Sep 2002 4:20AM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2003 4:53PM GMT
Dear Kate, I just came across your Potter line and we both descend from Nathaniel and Dorothy and Nathaniel and Elizabeth Stokes. After that we may depart separate ways. There is some confusion if Stokes can be the father of Zebedee Potter who is my ggggggrandfather, then his son David, then his son Arden, his son Sylvester, my ggrandmother Eliza Ann Potter, etc. to me. If you have research that might show Zebedee and who his father might be it would end many peoples searching for years. I have only been doing a search for about 2 1/2 years, but I have met some wonderful Potter relatives who have been in the search longer and have helped me a lot, and they can't prove who Zebedee's father is either. I am not good with a computer, so I rely a lot on library searches, phones, people who do know how to make a computer do its stuff, and LDS research. If Tia's line is from Nathaniel then we are related too. We plan to have a Potter Reunion in Hillsdale, Mi. July, second weekend, 2003 in Hillsdale, Mi. I went to meet some of the Potters I had located in July. It was wonderful! You can email me at weewoolies@madisontelco.com I hope to hear from you soon. Louise Williams

Sheri Paulick (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2002 4:22PM GMT
Do you have the names of wives and children for these Potter men you mention??
Thank-you
Sheri

Posted: 8 Nov 2002 11:24PM GMT
Sherri Paulick. I don't have time to go back to see exactly what my message had in the one you are asking about, but I do have the wifes names and in several cases I have the children thanks to a cousin who is very helpful. From my messages I placed I had lots of replys and from one of them I was told where to find the will of my Stokes Potter and that it definitely named Zebedee as his son. My cousin with lots of computer knowledge has taken that information and made a connection that went to probate in kTaunton, Ma. and has copied that will. I don't have a copy of it yet, but I will as soon as it can be reduced in size and sent to me. I have been able to connect with several new relatives.
What particular Potter do you need names and information on. You can email me at weewoolies@madisontelco.com and I will be glad to see if I can help fill in some spaces for your search.
If you are related to us we want to have a reunion in Hillsdale, Mi. July l2 and l3, 2003. This time it is Hillsdale due to Amasa and Arden Taber Potter locating there from N.Y.. After that reunion, if some of the relatives think it would be good to go to another place where records can be found we can change the location. Hope to hear from you. Louise

Posted: 12 Nov 2002 2:12PM GMT
Dear Sheri, I have not received a reply from you from the last answer I sent to your questios about wifes to Potter men. Since I sent that Bonnie has received the copy of Stokes Potters will naming Zebedee as his son. She is transcribing the inventory, but has sent me the first part. you can email me at weewoolies@madisontelco.com. Louise Williams

Posted: 15 Jul 2003 1:43AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2003 10:30PM GMT
That is quite a list. IMPRESSIVE! Do you have any info re a J.D. Potter of Indiana, m. a Kathryn in Ohio, and had a dau. Francis Susan in Mo in 1855 and moved to KS by 1873. They're all buried in Bronson Co., KS. Thanks. Rita

Posted: 22 Mar 2004 1:43AM GMT
Surnames: Benjamin, Stoughton, George,Potter/Kimmons
Kate...
I would be most interested in trying to share a little information back and forth. My wife (Barbara) is linked with the Benjamin Potter/Stoughton Potter Line and the Ten Potter Brothers. It appears you might be leaning to the Stoughton side of the family whereas my wife leans to the Benjamin side. I am including a document written by John Kimmons Potter Barbara's Great Grandfather. Any help you can provide weather it be for Benjamin or Stoghhten I'll appreciate. Contact me via e-mail lwmcwilliams@fiberpipe.net for more information if you'd like.
Thanks and hope you enjoy the information below.
Larry

Reader note; Documentation not edited and copied as it was originally written.
Potter History

The following is the History of the POTTERS as furnished by John Kimmons Potter of Calico Rock, Arkansas of date, Jan. 22, 1933, to Forrest Samuel Ackley, of West Finley, Washington County Pennsylvannia, a
grandson of George and Jane Kimmons Potter. History as follows by John Kimmons Potter, youngest son of George and Jane Kimmons Potter.
I, having met a Professor who taught in the Agricultural College at Ames, June in 1913, the professor told me he had looked up the ancestors of the Potters as far back to the 17th and 18th century.
Ten Potter brothers left England in the 17th Century and settled in the New England States mostly New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Conneticut, and some trailing south through Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and southern Illinois and went to Iowa and Missouri some time during 17 and 1800's.
Benjamin Potter and his brother Stotten, two of the ten brothers, drifted from Maryland, both having married Rhode Island girls and came to West Finley Township, Washington County, Pennsylvannia in 1790 and settled near Good Intent. Benjamin Potter is my granfather and he married a Miss Allen of Rhode Island and to this union was born two sons and four daughters, sons: George and Howard; daughters: Betsy, Barbara, Martha and one was murdered on the home place. Aunt Betsy must have been the oldest, she married a Mr. Konkle of West Virginia and lived at or near Moundsville, West Virginia as I visited them at their home in 1877 as I was attending teachers Institute at Moundsville. I presume Barbara was the one who eloped with a man by the name of Hawkins. Grandfather chased them to Wheeling but the boat was leaving, going down the Ohio River so they went on their lonely way and was not heard from for 40 years or more.
Mrs. Hawkins and her daughter came to Claysville possibly in 1893 or 94 expecting some money for her share in the home farm, but as she had lived away so long, her resident now known, she had forfeited her right, so the law disinherited her, her daughter was with her. She was a school teacher and they lived somewhere in Kansas.
Another sister of Father's was Martha who married Jim Worrel, a Tanner lived at and died in Claysville, after the death of Jim, she married his brother Charley Worrel who lived across from the Claysville Cemetery.
Howard Potter, brother of my father, George Potter who was also born near Good Intent. Do not know who he married, but they had three sons and one daughter. Henry, Clinton, and Benjamin. Daughter, Martha who married Mack Gunn. They had one daughter, Jennie. Howard Potters and the Gunns all moved from near Good Intent in probably 1878 or 1879 to Bethany, Missouri. A few years later, John Danley who had lost his wife, and Jennie Gunn, Nally who was a widow at the time, she and John Danley got married and they lived on Mr. Danley's farm in East Finley T.P. Washington County Pennsylvannia for several years and then moved to Claysville where they both died.
Stotten Potter, a brother of my grandfather, Benjamin Potter, so far as I know, had only one son. His name was Jim Potter and he married Anna Kimmons, sister of my mother. They moved to Illinois soon after marriage. She, Anna his wife and one or two children are buried on our old home place. They had come back by steamboat down the Mississippi to St. Louis and to Wheeling and had contracted measles, the same disease which killed my mother's oldest chldren, Benjamin and Elizabeth. I, John K. Potter, visited Jim Potter at NeComb, Illinois at Christmas time 1881. I have also met Potters at Carroll, Ames, Iowa, Cotter, Arkansas and hear about Potters up near Springfield Missouri.
The Potters are English and the Kimmons are Scotch-Irish decent. One of Samuel Kimmons brothers went West and settled near Quincy, Illinois. He had two sons, Ira and Luke. I, John Potter visited the Kimmons with Uncle Luke Kimmons, who lived 20 miles east of Quincy, Illinois. In the fall of 1882 and spring of 1883, Uncle Luke was a jolly good fellow as every one called him. Uncle Luke had a lively home and a tall queenly wife. i helped the hired man to brake colts to the harness and deep snow which made it easy to worry them out. Forrest, your Mother, visited at Uncle Ira Kimmons, they had two boys and one daughter, her name was Sally and she never married as I know of. So your Mother and John Potter visited the Kimmons in Illinois many years ago. George Potter, son of Benjamin Potter of Good Intent, Washington County, T.P. Pennsylvannia born, June 29, 1817, died August 29, 1861. He married Jane Kimmons 1834, daughter of Samuel and Eleanor Ross Kimmons, born near Good Intent, June 12, 1818 and died Feb. 8, 1914, age 96 years. She married George Potter in 1834 and born to this union ten children:

Benjamin, died infancy (measles)
Elizabeth " " "
William H., born Dec 18, 1841, d or killed by B & O train near the Station in Claysville, PA.
George W., born, Dec. 23, 1843, d May 21, 1907.
Anna J. born, Sept. 20, 1845, d Feb. 21, 1932
Elsie born, Aug. 28, 1847 d
Junie born, July 20, 1850 d Aug. 1932
Sophia born, Nov. 6, 1853 d Aug. 15, 1932
Memphis C. born, Aug 1,1855 d June 12, 1935
John K. born, June 13, 1859 d July 20, 1938

George Potter subject of the above, about 1850 went west and spent some time looking for a location to take his family and had about made a location, but upon his return to the home place, he found that his Father had died. So he decided to remain on the home place and there he died Aug. 18, 1861.

Posted: 22 May 2005 11:21PM GMT
Surnames: Potter, Wigle
My ggggrandfather was Weaver Potter b 3 Jan 1777 in Dartmouth,MA. He married Temperance (Content) Drew 9 Dec 1798 in MA. They had 9 or 10 children William, David, Mary,Humphrey(b.1805),Ruth Ann, Benjamin, Warren (my gggdf b.9 Sep 1814 in Washington Cty,PA), Charlotte and Effa and possibly another one. The family moved from MA to PA about 1804 and then left there in 1833 for Adams Cty, IL.
The family settled in Gilmer Twshp.

IGI lists Humphrey Potter b. 1764 and Mary ? as the parents of John b.1794, Stoten b. 1785, and Weaver b. 1780
On 1810 and 1820 U.S. Census PA Finley Twp Washington Cty list Stoten, Weaver, and Benjamin. Can anyone help me put Weaver in the right family. Kate in Sep 2002 had John, Benjamin, & Stoughton as sons of Humphrey P. b,1755.

I'm also trying to learn who the parents are of Jane Potter b.1815 or possibly Jan 1819 in PA. Some sources say Stoten is her father. She married Morgan Thompson, my ggrandfather, in 1838 in Adams Cty, IL. Her sister Nancy married Solomon Wigle also in 1838 in Adams Cty. Later the sisters lived nearby in MO.

Posted: 27 Jun 2005 7:12PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2005 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Potter, Swackhammer
I saw your posting listing the potter family genealogy by an established researcher. I am desperately searching for any information on George Potter. It is believed that his middle inital is L. His wife would have been Rose Swackhammer. George would have been born in 1857, sorry I don't have the month and Rose in March 1862. They had 12 children: Dorothy, Joseph, James, George, Helen/Ellen, Francis, Mary, Elizabeth, Margaret, and Bernard. Two of the children I have not been able to find as it is believed that the died in infancy.
In the 1900 census this family Resided in Dushore PA, 1910 in Towanda Borough PA and in 1920 they are still in Towanda, but Frank is listed as the head of the household with Rose being a widower. If any of this information is part of your family please send me an email at pottercrbr@aol.com.
Any and all information is appreciated and welcomed.

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 11:53PM GMT
I saw your post and believe Weaver is the father of Humphrey, who is the Father of Wm Green Potter, who is my G Grandfather. I have just begun that line, and wonder if you have any info on that line. Thank You for your time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions