Search for content in message boards

Tubbee, Tubee, Tubi, Tuby, etc

Tubbee, Tubee, Tubi, Tuby, etc

Jim RabidWolf (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2001 3:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
The chahta word tubi, tubbi, tuby, tubbee is not a surname, we had none. It is only part of a man's name, meaning "one who kills", "killer", but especially WARRIOR. It was given to man who had taken honorable blood in combat.

Those of you looking for the above as "family" will find little or become confused by the records. If you have both halves of the name, I will try to translate them for you as many took the english meaning of their name as their proper name (in lieu of having one foist upon them by missionaries).

Re: Tubbee, Tubee, Tubi, Tuby, etc

cecil maytubby jr. (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2002 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: maytubby
I have a last name Maytubby, but when I look at the names of some surnames related to mine I see the names spelled Maytubbee.

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 2:18AM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2002 7:48PM GMT
Cecil, I am working on the family tree of the Maytubbys. My line goes back to Anthony "Tony" Maytubby b. 1830, brother of Peter, Wesley, Moses, George, Mary Ann, Hogan, Chuffatubby and possibly Sofa. I have nothing on George, Moses, Sofa, only husbands for Mary Ann and very little on Chuffatubby. Could you possibly help me out on this? Which one of the children are you a descendant of? Thank you.
Barbara

Stormy Bryant (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2002 3:01AM GMT
You are going to find all those variations in Tubby, etc. as a result of people trying to phonetically spell the name. My wife's family name is Forsyth, but some spell it Forsythe. There are more variations of Bryant than you can imagine. This happened to the Tubby spelling.
Incidentally, the old Byington dictionary way of spelling it is vbi, with the v sounding as a short a, like the u in mud. The T just got stuck in there like it does in many Choctaw words, for ease in pronunciation. It is a lot easier and more normal to say May-tubby than to say May-ubby.

Posted: 30 Jan 2002 4:35AM GMT
Cecil, Chahta wasn't written until Byington, so there might be a number of spellings, especially since most of our ancestors didn't read or write english until just a generation ago. So, spelling got a little creative.

JWR

Posted: 30 Jan 2002 4:42AM GMT
Omeh, Mali Chitto Laua !

Stormy Bryant (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2002 2:50PM GMT
Halito Nashoba Nukoa. Don't quote me on this, but I suspect that some of the Dawes Commission employees who were writing down enrollment records could not only not speak or write Chahta, but, being political hirees, might not have been able to spell cat in English, either :)
Your name is a good example of the difficulties of translating names from one language to another. I did not know the word for "rabid" so I looked in Byington. There are three choices: having rabies, being angry, or being crazy, so I used the one that sounded the most flattering. However, it is always possible that it could be nashoba holilvbi because your ancestor bravely killed a rabid wolf.
I was born in a hurricane, so Stormy can be xlated as either mahli chito or apeli. I sort of prefer apeli because it is easier to type and because mahli chito hits too close to home - it could also be xlated as blowhard :) There are also folks who got the name Stormy from a violent nature, which leads to another whole string of words.
Xlation of names back and forth between Indian languages and English often gives some silly results. It seems to require not only a knowledge of words and grammar, but also the history of how the name was given in the first place.
Chi pisa l'achike

Posted: 6 Oct 2002 3:05PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2003 7:59PM GMT
My husband's gr gr gr grandfather was listed on the Dawes Rolls as "Ho Tubby" with "Siney" as his wife. Is there a translation of either of these names?

Thank you.

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 4:41AM GMT
Hello ...
I am looking for the meaning to my Great, Great, Great, Great,Great, Great Grandfather's name Me-Shune Tubbee .

Any help would be most appreciated ....

Thanks for your time and assistance

Janice
per page

Find a board about a specific topic