Search for content in message boards

Census deciphering needed, 1820 Laurens, p. 16A (image 24 at Ancestry)

Census deciphering needed, 1820 Laurens, p. 16A (image 24 at Ancestry)

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 9:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone help me decipher the first name of the McCullen/McCuller who is in the 1820 Laurens census, p. 16A, 13 down from top, image 24 at the Images Online on Ancestry? I cannot for the life of me make heads nor tails of it.

Thanks,
Karen Dutton

Re: Census deciphering needed, 1820 Laurens, p. 16A (image 24 at Ancestry)

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 1:31PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2005 10:13PM GMT
Hertiage quest as it indexed as David, but I can't get David out of the given name. It looks like ?rtin or rtion or even tun. I don't think that it's ing. What looks like a g, I take to be the downstroke from the t.. The first letter of the name is the puzzler. It's hard to tell if part of the letter is written in the space above. If the letter right above it is a B, it doesn't look like the other Bs on the page---it could be an R with the upstroke of the letter below it (the given name of McCullen) mixed in with it..

The image at Hertiage Quest is not as clear as the one at Ancestry.com.
Bernice

I think it may be Britton McCullers

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 2:19PM GMT
Thanks! If the image at Heritage Quest is worse, my hat is off to you for figuring *any* of it out!

I have done some more poking about for McCullers/McCullens in the area and had been thinking it might be Britton McCullers, who surveyed Wilkinson County in 1807, served on a grand jury there in 1810, and may be the same Britton McCullers and wife Patty of Burke County, GA who sold land to Joseph Nunn of Warren County in 1795.

Laurens was formed from Wilkinson, and it is a logical progression westward from Burke through Washington to Wilkinson/Laurens.

Given your assessment as well, I believe that might be the correct interpretation, even given the somewhat different B, since it fits the best of any others I have seen. If anyone has any info on whether Britton McCullers was noted in Laurens County, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, again!
Karen

Re: I think it may be Britton McCullers

Bernice (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2004 3:35PM GMT
At my first glance at the entry, I thought Britan. But "studying" the entry caused me to doubt.
I found this in Laurens Cty Extracts by Tad Evans:
Sept 28, 1814--- Britain McCulllers applied for letters of adm. on estate of Jackson Russel.
June 5. 1821---Wright R Coleman applied for letters of adm. on esate of Britton McCullers, late of said county (Laurens), deceased.
Then in 1822 John Thomas is listed as adm. estate (Coleman may have died) when he advertises for those indebted to Britton's estate to pay up.

This must be another Brittain McCullers: Brittain McCullers on 17 April inst. in Columbus murder John J Updegraff. Issued
April 28, 1853 (From Ga Black Book Vol 1)

Bernice

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 5:39PM GMT
Excellent, thank you!

I am betting that the murderer was the same as the Britton McCrullers who is in the 1850 census, age 19, son of John and Elvira McCullers in Muscogee County, Georgia. John is a tailor, Britton is a farmer. John (56) and Elvira (43) are listed as b. in Laurens County (would that *all* the census returns were that explicit), with Britton b. in Wilkinson, his 16 yo sister Martha and 13 yo brother Milton b. in Pulaski County, brothers Charles (6) and John (8) b. in Muscogee (I believe).

Wonder if John is a son of the older Britton? Seems likely on the face of it. Odd, though, if so that John was not the one who applied for leters of admin, as he should have be 21. Perhaps a much younger brother of Britton the elder?

Thanks again! I am trying to tie in the McCrullers to the James Harp McCullers/McCullens who changed his name to James Harp in Laurens County in 1819. My husband's line descends from James Harp (b. 1780-1790, GA) and Olivia Scarborough (b. abt 1808, GA). They were in Laurens in 1830, Dooly in 1840.

Karen

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 11:45PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2005 10:13PM GMT
The 1820 census for Britton as l male 16-26; 2 males 45 +; l female 16-26; l person engaged in manufactures:
Assuming that Brittion is one of males 45+, John could be the male 16-26 and his wife the female.

There was a James McCullers and a Colson McCullers in Laurens in 1815.

Coleman and Thomas may have be lawyers hired to settle Britton's estate.

Bernice

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 2:43PM GMT
Thanks again for the info, Bernice!

Could you give me the context for the James and Colson in 1815? Would it indicate that they were living in their own households?

Thanks,
Karen

bernice (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2004 10:29PM GMT
The James and Colson Mccullers info wasn't from a census, but from legal ads in Dublin paper. James McCuller is mention as been committed on a charge of cattle stealing in Sept of 1815 and on Colson the wording is hard to understand but it looks like property belong to him was to be sold for backtaxes-------Collector's sale. Will be sold, on the first Tues in Dec next at the courthouse in Dublin, Laurens Cty.....the following propery, or as much thereof as will satisfy the tax...for the years 1811 and 1814, to wit: 803 acres pine land, in Laurens County...on the waters of Big Creek--returned by John Bush, adm. of William Bush, deceased; tax 60 cents 2 1/2 mills for 1814. 125 pine land, in bulloch County...on the waters of Mill Creek---returned by Colson McCullers; tax $1.16 for 1814. 607 1/2 acres pine land, in Laurens Ctounty ..on the waters of the Oconee--returned by John G Underwood, ad. of John Dickson, deceased; tax $12.24 for 1811. {not sure if Colson owned land in Bulloch and was living in Laurens or if he was the one who pointed out the back taxes owed.} Article dated Oct 4, 1815

Bernice

more on Colson McCullers

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 12:07AM GMT
AHA! A glimmer into *why* he might have changed his name from McCullers to Harp in 1819---though you would think he would also move away from the area if it were to escape notoriety.

Something to ponder at any rate---thanks *so* much for all your help with this family!

Looks like Colson had connections with Jefferson County

Name: Coleson McCullers
Spouse: Polly Kirkland
Marriage Date: 29 Apr 1806
County: Jefferson
State: Georgia

and was in Emanuel County in 1820
1820 Emmanuel County, Georgia
Colston McCullers
1 m <10
1 m 26-44
4 f <10
2 f 10-15
1 1 f 26-44

Karen

Re: more on Colson McCullers

Bernice (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2004 1:16PM GMT
It would seem that they may have been 2 James McCullers in Laurens Cty during the timeframe 181-1850.
1815-James McCullers 1815-cattle stealing
1819- you have James MCullers changing name to Harp
1823-James Harp land suit against Ben. Faircloth
1832-James Harp files for adm. of David McDaniel
1837 Harp files to sale land of David McDaniel
1845- Land suit involing James C McCuller
1842 Dr James C Mcullers marries Mary Ann Maria
1849-land suit James C McCullins

Letters left in Dublin Post Office May 1819
Matthew C McCuller
Marom McCuller

Bernice