Search for content in message boards

Need help spelling a last name

Need help spelling a last name

Posted: 5 Aug 2005 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yadakas
Hello!

I know my great-great-grandparents name phonetically when they came to the US. They came from Lithuania. It is pronounced Yowdakiss. I've been trying to find anything like it and the closes I come to finding is Yadakas, though I am not sure this is correct.

Thank you for your time.

Juodikis maybe

Marie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2005 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Juodikis
The name Juodikis would be pronounced much the same way, as the letter J is pronounced as a Y might sound. If you are looking at the Ellis Island data base for your ancestor's arrival, it is possible that the name might be listed beginning with a Y, as that is how it sounded.

Juodakys, Juodeikis, Juodikis?

Asta (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2005 7:22AM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2005 3:18PM GMT
To confuse you more, I'll propose other possible variations of the surname:
Juodakys (male), Juodakyte (unmarried female), Juodakiene (married woman);
Juodeikis, Juodeikyte, Juodeikiene;
and the one that you allready have: Juodikis, Juodikyte, Juodikiene.
Besides, the lithuanian word 'juodas' means 'black', 'akis' - 'eye', so the surname Juodakys should mean 'someone with black eyes'.
All these surnames are in lithuanian Phone book. I think, there is one more possible variation - Juodakis, but I didn't find it in the phone book (though it doesn't mean that there is no such surname at all).
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Re: Juodikis maybe

Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2005 12:34PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
I hope that is the case. I do know that when my family came over, they changed their name to be Smith. I'm not sure why, but this is why all we know is how to pronounce the surname. Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Need help spelling a last name

Posted: 8 Aug 2005 6:42PM GMT
hi, it could be Juodakis

Ineta (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2005 1:58AM GMT
It's probably Juodakis. The J is always soft in Lithuanian, and the u and o make a double vowel sound that is interconnected. I think this is correct, if you are possitive, that the second part of the name is akis, which means eyes (juoda-black).

Ineta

theresa (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2006 7:51PM GMT
My grandfather's name was juodas (yudis). He told me it ment a black man or Negro

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 8:13PM GMT
My maiden name is Yudis and I know it was changed a bit when my Great Grandfather came over from Lithuania. They traveled through Ellis Island and settled in Chicago. We could be related. I would be happy to provide further info as I have some of the original spellings from Lithuania. How are you doing in your search?

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 8:15PM GMT
Whoa!!! That is my last name..well maiden name. YUDIS. It was not black man but probably baker of black bread.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions