Search for content in message boards

WOODSIDE,LOVE,WILSON,GIFFIN

WOODSIDE,LOVE,WILSON,GIFFIN

Jane (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woodside, Love, Wilson, Giffin
I am looking for family related to the following:
James Woodside b.1704,. Married (1726) to Elizabeth Wilson b.1709, of Irvine,Ayr.
Son James D. Woodside b.1736 in Irvine,baptized Aug29,1736-a tailor and farmer.
He married Ann Love b. 1741,baptized Dec13,1741, on April 4,1765, in Campbelltown,Argyll.
Their son James Woodside was born in Saltcoats Feb7,1767.

They immigrated to P.E.I., Canada in July,1770 aboard the Annabella, from Campbelltown Argyll.

Ann Love's parents were James Love and Margaret Giffin.

Thank-you.
Posted: 17 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Sep 2002 7:12PM GMT
Surnames: Giffin
My maiden name is Margaret Giffin. I thought it was a coincidence. The Giffins came to Scotland from the low countries in Edward the Third's time to teach the local the mechanical mehtods of weaving. I have never met another giffin during my life. My Great grandfather came from Middlesex to Australia. Regards. Margaret Porter I am descended from an Isaac Giffin.
Posted: 30 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 2:21AM GMT
Is Elizabeth Wilson any relation to Hannah Wilson born abt 1730 and married to William Giffin born 1/4/1724/25 from Farbough,Londonderry,Ireland or Barberries,Londonderry,Ireland?

Re: Giffin

Phillip E. Giffin (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2001 5:20PM GMT
I was unaware that the Giffins came to Great Britain from the low countries in the early 14th century to teach the local population the mechanical methods of weaving.Can you possibly give me a source in which I may find more information on this matter?

Judy(Giffin)McKinley (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2002 2:53PM GMT
Could you give me more information on your Isaac Giffin. I also have one in my family line.

Michele McKenna (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2004 8:07AM GMT
Looking for information on James Giffin, a weaver born in Ayrshire who married Janet from lochwinnoch Renfrewshire about 1833. Their children were all born in Paisley Renfrewshire. John c1833, Margaret c1836, Colin c1839, James c1842, Jessie c1844 and Elizabeth c1847. They emigrated to Australia on the Beejapore in 1853. We are descended from Jessie Giffin.
Posted: 30 Nov 2011 6:34AM GMT
I'm also searching for the relatives of William Giffin I, II, & II, as documented in the Giffin Memorandum.

Re: giffin and Giffin memorandem

Posted: 1 Dec 2011 11:27AM GMT
Surnames: Giffin, McGiffin/ McGiffen
Please could you tell me what is the Giffin memorandem?

I am descended from a David McGiffin/ McGiffen from Belfast, Ireland but thought to have gone to Ireland from Scotland. His son, Samuel, returned to Scotland (Glasgow, Lanark) after 1873

Angela

Re: Wm Giffin and Giffin memorandem

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 1:39AM GMT
The "Giffin Memoramdum" is merely the writing by William Giffin, 1801-1881. He wrote down some basic info. regarding his parents, grandparents, and others.

Transcription of nine photocopied pages. The original document appears to be handwritten on
paper with the preprinted heading
"Office of I. N. Giffin, County Surveyor, Van Wert, Ohio,
____, 190_." "I. N." would be Isaac Newton Giffin, the son of this document’s author, William Giffin III.

The heading appears on all nine pages, but only the first page has the date,
January 8, 1902, filled in. The document is itself a transcription of an original document
written in the 1870s. Transcribed by Rebecca Deepchandani, beginning on January 16, 2002, who has just noticed that the date is almost exactly one hundred years later!

Original spellings, abbreviations, punctuation etc., preserved. Square brackets are in the original. Notes by Rebecca are inside these {brackets}.

"'Memorandum of Wm Giffin’s ancestors”

My grandfather, Wm. Giffin, was born in the town of Farlagh, county of Londonderry, Ireland.
His wife, Hannah Wilson [was] born in the town Berberris {other sources spell it Barberries,
RD.} in the same county. They were married about 1761 and emigrated to America about 1762.

My grandmother had three brothers, Isaac Wilson, who went into the service of the East India
Company in early life and became very wealthy, and lived in London and is supposed to have died there about the beginning of this century. {meaning the Nineteenth, RD.} His brothers were James and Mark both of whom came to America. James was postmaster at Waynesburgh, Pa. about 1810 or 1811. This is the last I have ever heard of them.

My grandfather and mother {meaning grandmother? RD} had nine children, 7 sons and 2 daughters. The sons were James, Robert, John, William, who was my father, Wilson, Jacob and Isaac. The daughters were Ann and Elizabeth. Ann married James McClelland and raised a middling large family, lived and died on or near the site of Glendale.

The site of this town was bought by Glenn from my cousin James McClelland. 80 acres for 8000 dollars and sold to the company who laid out the town for 16000 dollars. So I have always understood.

My father was born near Lewiston, Mifflin Co., Pa., Dec. 2nd, 1776 and died in Miami Co. Ohio March 4th 1841 and laid in the old cemetery, Piqua, Ohio.

Of my uncles, my father’s brothers James, Robert, and Jacob I never saw. The others, with my two aunts, I have seen. My grandfather’s family came to Columbia, Ohio, above Cincinnati, in 1794, if I am correctly informed. {Columbia was on or near the present site of Lunken Airport in
Cincinnati, RD} My uncle Robert was killed by the Indians not long after they came to the
country.

My father subsequently married and settled about 10 miles south west of where Dayton now is and there I was born on the 26th day of December 1802.

I have no information of my father’s family any farther back than as before written. Of my father’s brothers, James I think was twice married and raised a family of 6 or 7 children near Cincinnati, where if any of them are alive they still are. John married and settled near Oxford
in the edge of Indiana and left two sons, Wilson and Ambrose, who went west to Iowa I think.

Jacob raised a family near Columbia where some of them still remain and some went west. I saw an account of a pioneer meeting not long ago in which was the name of Zadock Williams and wife who was or is my cousin, daughter of Jacob Giffin. Wilson was married but left no children. Isaac left one son. Elizabeth was married to a man by the name of Camberling and left a family, but how many I know not.

On my mother’s side I can go farther back with the account of my ancestors. One of my great great grandfathers was John Cowan of Edinburgh, Scotland, who it is said left one child Margaret Cowan who in some way got to Ireland and there married when about 15 to Wm Boyd by whom she had three children, Nancy McConnell, Wm Boyd and Mary Walker. Two of these were born in Ireland and Mary (Walker) during the voyage to America. (She was born about 1710 and died in Pennsylvania about 1802 aged 92 years.)

After Boyd came to America he died and Margaret subsequently married John Wilson my great grandfather. By this marriage she had the following children. Abagial Bigger my grandmother, Samuel Wilson, Elizabeth Scott, Joseph Wilson, Jane Jameson. Of these 8 children Wm Boyd and Mary Walker died without issue.

The heirs of Nancy McConnell were the following:
Jane McConnell Samuel McConnell
Margaret McClelland Joseph McConnell
Wm. McConnell Sarah Wilson
Mary Wilson Elizabeth Davidson
Agnes Walker John McConnell
Martha Torrence (no child) Adam McConnell
Robert McConnell

Children of Abagial Bigger:
Martha Stewart John Bigger
Matthew Bigger James Bigger
Margaret Giffin (my mother) David Bigger
Samuel Bigger

Children of Samuel Wilson:
Margaret {??} Martha McCracken
Sarah Hammill Ann Carothers
Mary Howell Nancy Stewart
Elizabeth Ruggles

Children of Elizabeth Scott:
Margaret Slater Wm. Scott
John Scott Samuel Scott
Elizabeth Wright Nancy George
Mary McGinniss James Scott
Joseph Scott

Children of Jane Jameson:
John Jameson Samuel Jameson
Matthew Jameson Margaret Jameson

It is not known to me whether Joseph Wilson left any children or not.

My other {great?} grandfather was Matthew Bigger who was married on the 25th of Sept. 1724 to Martha Moore in Ireland. The children of this marriage were:
John Bigger, Dec. 20, 1725 (This was the g. father of the late Governor Bigger of Indiana 1840.)
Jane Bigger born Feb. 10th, 1727
James Bigger born July 28, 1730
Samuel Bigger born April 7, 1733 (This was my grandfather.)
Joseph Bigger born July 10, 1738, d. Aug. 8, 1739
Thomas Bigger born Sept. 2, 1740
Hannah Bigger born Dec. 7, 1743, d. Feb. 4, 1744
Elizabeth Bigger born June 8, 1746

These constitute my grandfather’s brothers and sisters. How many of them came to America I do not know. John, the oldest, came in 1751. Left Ireland {indecipherable place name: Braualan? Bravalau? Branalan? Branalau?}, Parish of Balymony {sic}, perhaps the last of December 1751.When my grandfather came to this country, I have no record.

My grandfather Samuel Bigger had 7 children as before written. Martha Stewart came to Ohio in early time, raised a family of 9 children: Jane Harper, Abagial, Martha Harper, Margaret Ross, Nancy Finney, John Stewart, James, Andrew and Samuel. She died in Hamiltol {sic} Co., Ohio.

Matthew Bigger had 2 or 3 sons. I never saw but one of them: Samuel, who lived for many years in Washington, Guernsey Co., Ohio and was a member of the legislature from that county a number of years ago. Samuel, my uncle, settled in Trumbull Co., Ohio. I saw one of his sons 60 years ago perhaps.

John Bigger married Margaret McConnell in Greene Co., Ohio and raised a large family an died about 1856 or 57 in Miami Co., Ohio.”

This narrative was written by my father Wm. Giffin about 187- {last number is gone, the original
paper deteriorated, RD} and copied by me this 7 {another hole in the paper here, but the
context indicates that the missing characters are "th day" RD} of September 1901.
I. N. Giffin"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transcription completed on June 16, 2002 by Rebecca Deepchandani

I entered this names and dates into a family tree at ancestry.com and have been searching for additional documents and sources. Today, I visited the University of KY and found additional info. re. Robert Giffin; that was killed by Indians.

I'm also mining Find A Grave, for tombstone photos.

So, it's been FUN !

Re: Wm Giffin and Giffin memorandem

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 1:39AM GMT
The "Giffin Memoramdum" is merely the writing by William Giffin, 1801-1881. He wrote down some basic info. regarding his parents, grandparents, and others.

Transcription of nine photocopied pages. The original document appears to be handwritten on
paper with the preprinted heading
"Office of I. N. Giffin, County Surveyor, Van Wert, Ohio,
____, 190_." "I. N." would be Isaac Newton Giffin, the son of this document’s author, William Giffin III.

The heading appears on all nine pages, but only the first page has the date,
January 8, 1902, filled in. The document is itself a transcription of an original document
written in the 1870s. Transcribed by Rebecca Deepchandani, beginning on January 16, 2002, who has just noticed that the date is almost exactly one hundred years later!

Original spellings, abbreviations, punctuation etc., preserved. Square brackets are in the original. Notes by Rebecca are inside these {brackets}.

"'Memorandum of Wm Giffin’s ancestors”

My grandfather, Wm. Giffin, was born in the town of Farlagh, county of Londonderry, Ireland.
His wife, Hannah Wilson [was] born in the town Berberris {other sources spell it Barberries,
RD.} in the same county. They were married about 1761 and emigrated to America about 1762.

My grandmother had three brothers, Isaac Wilson, who went into the service of the East India
Company in early life and became very wealthy, and lived in London and is supposed to have died there about the beginning of this century. {meaning the Nineteenth, RD.} His brothers were James and Mark both of whom came to America. James was postmaster at Waynesburgh, Pa. about 1810 or 1811. This is the last I have ever heard of them.

My grandfather and mother {meaning grandmother? RD} had nine children, 7 sons and 2 daughters. The sons were James, Robert, John, William, who was my father, Wilson, Jacob and Isaac. The daughters were Ann and Elizabeth. Ann married James McClelland and raised a middling large family, lived and died on or near the site of Glendale.

The site of this town was bought by Glenn from my cousin James McClelland. 80 acres for 8000 dollars and sold to the company who laid out the town for 16000 dollars. So I have always understood.

My father was born near Lewiston, Mifflin Co., Pa., Dec. 2nd, 1776 and died in Miami Co. Ohio March 4th 1841 and laid in the old cemetery, Piqua, Ohio.

Of my uncles, my father’s brothers James, Robert, and Jacob I never saw. The others, with my two aunts, I have seen. My grandfather’s family came to Columbia, Ohio, above Cincinnati, in 1794, if I am correctly informed. {Columbia was on or near the present site of Lunken Airport in
Cincinnati, RD} My uncle Robert was killed by the Indians not long after they came to the
country.

My father subsequently married and settled about 10 miles south west of where Dayton now is and there I was born on the 26th day of December 1802.

I have no information of my father’s family any farther back than as before written. Of my father’s brothers, James I think was twice married and raised a family of 6 or 7 children near Cincinnati, where if any of them are alive they still are. John married and settled near Oxford
in the edge of Indiana and left two sons, Wilson and Ambrose, who went west to Iowa I think.

Jacob raised a family near Columbia where some of them still remain and some went west. I saw an account of a pioneer meeting not long ago in which was the name of Zadock Williams and wife who was or is my cousin, daughter of Jacob Giffin. Wilson was married but left no children. Isaac left one son. Elizabeth was married to a man by the name of Camberling and left a family, but how many I know not.

On my mother’s side I can go farther back with the account of my ancestors. One of my great great grandfathers was John Cowan of Edinburgh, Scotland, who it is said left one child Margaret Cowan who in some way got to Ireland and there married when about 15 to Wm Boyd by whom she had three children, Nancy McConnell, Wm Boyd and Mary Walker. Two of these were born in Ireland and Mary (Walker) during the voyage to America. (She was born about 1710 and died in Pennsylvania about 1802 aged 92 years.)

After Boyd came to America he died and Margaret subsequently married John Wilson my great grandfather. By this marriage she had the following children. Abagial Bigger my grandmother, Samuel Wilson, Elizabeth Scott, Joseph Wilson, Jane Jameson. Of these 8 children Wm Boyd and Mary Walker died without issue.

The heirs of Nancy McConnell were the following:
Jane McConnell Samuel McConnell
Margaret McClelland Joseph McConnell
Wm. McConnell Sarah Wilson
Mary Wilson Elizabeth Davidson
Agnes Walker John McConnell
Martha Torrence (no child) Adam McConnell
Robert McConnell

Children of Abagial Bigger:
Martha Stewart John Bigger
Matthew Bigger James Bigger
Margaret Giffin (my mother) David Bigger
Samuel Bigger

Children of Samuel Wilson:
Margaret {??} Martha McCracken
Sarah Hammill Ann Carothers
Mary Howell Nancy Stewart
Elizabeth Ruggles

Children of Elizabeth Scott:
Margaret Slater Wm. Scott
John Scott Samuel Scott
Elizabeth Wright Nancy George
Mary McGinniss James Scott
Joseph Scott

Children of Jane Jameson:
John Jameson Samuel Jameson
Matthew Jameson Margaret Jameson

It is not known to me whether Joseph Wilson left any children or not.

My other {great?} grandfather was Matthew Bigger who was married on the 25th of Sept. 1724 to Martha Moore in Ireland. The children of this marriage were:
John Bigger, Dec. 20, 1725 (This was the g. father of the late Governor Bigger of Indiana 1840.)
Jane Bigger born Feb. 10th, 1727
James Bigger born July 28, 1730
Samuel Bigger born April 7, 1733 (This was my grandfather.)
Joseph Bigger born July 10, 1738, d. Aug. 8, 1739
Thomas Bigger born Sept. 2, 1740
Hannah Bigger born Dec. 7, 1743, d. Feb. 4, 1744
Elizabeth Bigger born June 8, 1746

These constitute my grandfather’s brothers and sisters. How many of them came to America I do not know. John, the oldest, came in 1751. Left Ireland {indecipherable place name: Braualan? Bravalau? Branalan? Branalau?}, Parish of Balymony {sic}, perhaps the last of December 1751.When my grandfather came to this country, I have no record.

My grandfather Samuel Bigger had 7 children as before written. Martha Stewart came to Ohio in early time, raised a family of 9 children: Jane Harper, Abagial, Martha Harper, Margaret Ross, Nancy Finney, John Stewart, James, Andrew and Samuel. She died in Hamiltol {sic} Co., Ohio.

Matthew Bigger had 2 or 3 sons. I never saw but one of them: Samuel, who lived for many years in Washington, Guernsey Co., Ohio and was a member of the legislature from that county a number of years ago. Samuel, my uncle, settled in Trumbull Co., Ohio. I saw one of his sons 60 years ago perhaps.

John Bigger married Margaret McConnell in Greene Co., Ohio and raised a large family an died about 1856 or 57 in Miami Co., Ohio.”

This narrative was written by my father Wm. Giffin about 187- {last number is gone, the original
paper deteriorated, RD} and copied by me this 7 {another hole in the paper here, but the
context indicates that the missing characters are "th day" RD} of September 1901.
I. N. Giffin"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transcription completed on June 16, 2002 by Rebecca Deepchandani

I entered this names and dates into a family tree at ancestry.com and have been searching for additional documents and sources. Today, I visited the University of KY and found additional info. re. Robert Giffin; that was killed by Indians.

I'm also mining Find A Grave, for tombstone photos.

So, it's been FUN !
per page

Find a board about a specific topic