Search for content in message boards

Josiah BARKLEY/Ellen CLEMENS

Josiah BARKLEY/Ellen CLEMENS

Posted: 22 Apr 2004 10:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Apr 2006 1:05AM GMT
I have an ancestor named Joseph Barkley who was born in Canada between 1812-1820. He was in MI and newly married by 1850. I have been searching for his family for a long time. One clue that he was from the Dundas Co family is that in one census he used the name BARTLEY. He used the middle initial C.

The only one I have found close to matching my Joseph is Josiah Barkley, son of Christian who married Ellen Clemens. They had 2 sons. Then just before 1850 I lose track of them.

Is it possible that Ellen died and Josiah moved to MI before 1850? Does anybody know about this family?

I need help with this.

Claire Lucas McDonald

Re: Josiah BARKLEY/Ellen CLEMENS

Posted: 4 Jun 2004 4:19PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2006 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Barkley
I think this might be the same family I have in my files: This is all I have. Do you have any details to Ellen ?

Eleanora Clemens married Joachim Barkley son of Christian J. Barkley and Helena Beckstead on 20 Aug 1837 in Williamsburg, Dundas, Ontario. Joachim was born on 23 Feb 1818 in Williamsburg Twp., Dundas, Ontario. He was christened on 9 Mar 1818 in Williamsburg, Dundas, Ontario.
They had the following children:

1. Andrew Barkley was born on 13 Nov 1838 in Williamsburg, Dundas, Ontario. He died on 13 Nov 1838 in Williamsburg, Dundas, Ontario. He was buried on 15 Nov 1838 in St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Williamsburg, Dundas, Ontario.

2. Simon Justus Barkley was born on 12 Mar 1841 in Williamsburg, Dundas, Ontario.

Re: Josiah BARKLEY/Ellen CLEMENS

Posted: 4 Jun 2004 7:14PM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2004 1:59PM GMT
Yes, this is the same couple. I said his name was Josiah in the original post, but I knew it was Joachim. Just wrote it wrong.

I don't have any further information on them. My question was when did Ellen or Eleanora die? If there were only 2 children then did one of the parents die after the 2nd? And what happened to them? Did they live in Williamsburg? Or in New York--they aren't in a census there. Were there more children? I can find nothing past the second child in 1841.

My though was that perhaps Ellen/Eleanora had died after the second child and Joachim left the area. There is no further records of either of them that I can find. And maybe he changed the name to Joseph. He used the middle initial C--maybe for Christian.

My Joseph Barckley is a real mystery. I am almost certain he was part of the Dundas family, but can't get any information from people who have records of the Barkleys there--not even an "I don't know." So he will probably always be a mystery.

If you find anything more on them, please let me know. Until I find more he will be my #1 mystery ancestor.

Thanks, Claire

Re: Joachim BARKLEY/Ellen CLEMENS

Posted: 4 Jun 2004 8:03PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2006 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Barkley & Clemens
In the book by Lynne Cook - The Bechstadt Family of Dundas County it states this family probably moved to Louisville NY. Have you looked there for them ?
Good luck with your research and I'll be sure to pass on anything new I find. Thanks for replying.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions