Search for content in message boards

EMERT'S COVE

EMERT'S COVE

Posted: 2 Feb 2002 4:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Nov 2002 5:47PM GMT
Does anyone know why the name of Emert's Cove was changed to Pittman Center? Also, I am looking for any history, stories and old pictures of the Emert's Cove area,
My gggg Grand Father was Frederick E. Emert b. 11 Oct 1754, d. 7 Jan 1829 Emert's Cove, TN. It was he that Emert's Cove was named after.
Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Re: EMERT'S COVE

Chrystie MYERS (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2002 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: EMERT KNIGHT ROBERTS LINDSEY MYERS HUSKEY MCCLURE Sevier County, Tennessee
Hi!

We're cousins of sorts. Let's see, your ggg Frederick EMERT, if I can think this out w/out my data in front of me, was either the SR or the JR.

If he was m. to Barbara KNIGHT and I highly doubt it 'cause they go way back... no, Frederick EMERT is this the 3rd one??

Any hoots, my ggg's were:
James Napoleon "N.J." MYERS/MYRES b 1836 d 1894 &
Margaret Caroline LINDSEY b 1846 d 1926 they lived in the Little Cove area of Sevier Co., TN. (near Pigeon Forge).

Now, Margaret's mother was Mary Elizabeth ROBERTS and
Mary's mother was Elizabeth EMERT, dau of Frederick EMERT and
Barbara KNIGHT <-- short version of her actual name.

The EMERT'S was spelled as EMMERT(T) / EMMOTT and other various ways, too. And there is alot of documentated history on them.

Write me at admin@myersgenealogy.com and I'll share all I have on them.

PS I still have family in Sevier. Where do you live?

Posted: 3 Mar 2002 9:57PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2002 5:47PM GMT
Surnames: EMERT / MYERS / PARKER / GUY
Hi,

My father is Ralph C. EMERT, b.1919 d. 1986, son of William Frederick EMERT b. 1894 d.1969, Knoxville TN and Edith C. GUY b.1889 d.1964, Highlands, North Carolina, . They moved from Tennessee up to Kalamazoo, Michigan in the early 1920’s. William was the son of Paul P. EMERT and Sarah Hanna PARKER of Knoxville TN. Paul P. was the son of Frederick Locke EMERT & Michel PARKER. Still looking for information on Michel PARKER and the other children of Paul P. EMERT and his wife Sarah. My gg Grandfather, Frederick Locke EMERT, was the son of Daniel EMERT, my ggg Grandfather, & Sarah REAGON. Daniel was the son of Frederick E. EMERT, my gggg grandfather, and Barbara Ann KNIGHT (NEIDIG). The 1890 Sevier county census is the last one I have been able to find Paul P, EMERT on. He moved to Knoxville, Knox County TN after he married Sarah Parker. Would someone who has access to the 1900 & 1910 census for Knoxville please do a look up.
Anyone who has any further informastion, please send to me at ranmanz28@cs.com

Thank You

Posted: 28 May 2002 3:32AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 29 May 2002 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: EMERT EMMOTT KNIGHT PARKER ROBERTS REAGON & LINDSEY'S of Sevier Co., TN & PA
Randy,

Your Daniel EMERT, ggg Grandfather was brother to my gggg Elizabeth EMERT b 1783 Emerts Cove, whom m. Rev/Elder John D. ROBERTS;one of their daughters, Mary Elizabeth ROBERTS b 1818 Emerts Cove m. John Andrew "Andy" LINDSEY (son of Wm Jesse LINDSEY and Salina IVY). And 1 of Mary (ROBERTS) & John LINDSEY'S daughters, Margaret Caroline LINDSEY b Apr 1846 was my ggg grandmother of Wears Cove area. I do know that Emerts Cove was named after our ggggg Frederick EMERT, originally spelled EMMOTT EMMERT. His original spelling of name was Frederick E. "I"(Emmott) born in Richmond Twp., Berks County, PA. and was a War Hero "Pennsylvania private Continental Line; Revolutionary War." There is a monument erected to him or so I hear, in Sevier. His tombstone is out here online somewhere - you can try a search at http://www.google.com/. I live in Maryland and see alot of their records here near the PA line. Also, their mentioned in Pioneers of Old Monocacy River Descendants and alot in Pennsylvania old records. Here's from "In the Shadow of the Smokes" Cemetery book Sevier Co. TN: Emert's Cove Cemetery

Emerts buried in Emert's Cove Cemetery, Sevier County, TN are:
Amanda M. 19 Dec 1859 28 Dec 1861
Daniel 15 Jun 1793 28 Aug 1851 (field stone)
Sarah 18 Oct 1787 6 June 1855
Frederick d. 7 Jan 1829 (field stone)
Frederick 11 Oct 1754 7 Jan 1829
Penn. Pvt. Continental Line;
Revolutionary War
Frederick Locke 21 May 1819 16 Feb 1908
Nancy McMahan 12 Mar 1820 24 Feb 1857
w/o Frederick L.
Michel Parker 9 Mar 1831 29 Oct 1913
w/o Frederick L.
W.B. 15 Oct 1841 4 Dec 1865
Co. H 9th Tenn Cav.

I'd like to know myself why they changed Emerts Cove to Pittman Center and I know there is a LINDSEY cemetery up behind the Pittman Center and a few miles behind their, as well are where my MYERS had their farms. If you find out Randy, let me know. administrator.c.ccm@verizon.net

Also, email me and I'll give you my phone number. Maybe we can stay in touch on this.

Bob (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 5:39PM GMT
Randy,
Emert's Cove name was not changed at all. It is in the newest City of Sevier Co. It is in Pittman Center named for Eli Pittman, a Meyhodist Missionary Minister. It is the smallest town in Sevier Co. incorporated in 1974 with a population just over 526 at that time. I live in Sevierville and am a native of Sevier Co. I work at the Sevier Co. Heritage Museum on Bruce St. in Sevierville. There is no monument to Frederrick Emert. There is a Covered Bridge named in his honer and is very beutiful. Its in Pittman Center. My name is Bob Parton.
P.S. Yes I Am Kin to her.

Rhonda (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2004 10:44PM GMT
Randy,

Or should I say hi cousin :-)

How and where did you find out that Emerts Cove was named after Frederick E Emert? (I thought it was but never have found any evidence to prove it.)

My 3rd great grandma was Barbara Emert her parents were Frederick E Emert Jr. and Celia Drusilla Reagan and there parents were Frederick E Emert and Babara Ann Neidig, Celia's parents were Timothy Reagan and Elizabeth Trigg.

I do not have a computer at home it is in for repairs. I will answer your email as soon as I can.

Thanks! Great to find another cousin:-)

Posted: 27 Feb 2004 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: Emert
Hi Cuz,

One source is Early History of Sevier County.
SOURCE: History of Tennessee, The Goodspeed Publishing Company, dated 1887, pages B32-35
“ The upper end of the county in the vicinity of Bird's Cross Roads a colony of Germans from Virginia was located: among them were Jacob Bird, Jacob Derrick, Adam Fox and James Baker. Frederick Emert and Martin Shultz settled in what is now known as Emert's Cove.”

Please contact me to share info. ranmanz28@aol.com

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 4:51PM GMT
Don't have any information about "Emert's Cove", but my last name is Emert and live in California. My grandfather was Jess E Emert. I believe he was born in TN in the 1800's. I know that most of the Emerts in my family came from Oklahoma. Hopes this helps some what.

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: Emert
Being and Emert and suspecting that you make descend from those in Tennessee you might be interested in these pictures from Emert's Cove that were submitted by Randy.

http://www.seviertn.genealogyvillage.com/Photographs/index.h...

There is also a link to Emert Cove Cemetery with some photos of the burial markers if you are interested at

http://www.seviertn.genealogyvillage.com/

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 1:18AM GMT
Some of the Emerts came from Oklahoma by wagon with the Hurst, Brreden, Smallwoods, Romines, Loveday, Underwood, Brown,Sharp, . My Grandma was a Romine. The Shultz are in these familes to.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions