Search for content in message boards

RAKES (RAIKES)

RAKES (RAIKES)

Alice Scott (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for information on BENJAMIN AND MARY RAKES. Two Benjamin's are in the 1840 Census for Buckingham, VA.
Benjamin Jr. and Mary had at least 8 children:

Sarah
George W. married Mary L. WOOTTEN
John A
Martha
Thomas B. married Mary Elizabeth CHILDRESS
David
Andrew married Marietta GORMUS
Matilda married Ruben WHARHAM

Thomas Rakes (RAIKES) ran William's Mill in Buckingham. He was killed in this mill in 1917. The mill was owned by the W. Knight SAUNDERS family. It was built before the Civil War. The mill was eventually purchased by J. Roy GORMUS, son-in-law of Thomas, who ran it until the 1950's or 60's. The mill is still standing on Route 622 in Buckingham.

Any information on the RAKES (RAIKES) Family would be appreciated.

Re: RAKES (RAIKES)

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 2:20PM GMT
Surnames: Woody / Bryant / Dudley / Phillips / Masons
Mary Alice Woody b. Oct 1888, her parents Samuel I. Woody (1854- 1922) and Sarah Jane Hughes (1855- 1929) m. Charles Raikes - both from Buckingham Co. don't know if this helps.. just beginning to research Woody side of the family. Mary Alice was my grandmother's sister. They lived in Madison Heights. both are buried in Fort Hill Cemetery in Lynchburg,VA. last time I checked they did not have grave markers which is sad since they had 12 or 13 kids and from what my mother told me they also had Charlie's brother living with them as well.

Re: RAKES (RAIKES)

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 9:52PM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2011 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: rakes, raikes
I would be interested to know the specific location of the mill. I am familiar with Rt 622 and wondered if the old mill was east, or west, of Rt 20?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions