Search for content in message boards

Hugh Bowen -Wayne Co Wv

Hugh Bowen -Wayne Co Wv

Posted: 28 Sep 1999 10:57PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2001 5:33AM GMT
I am looking for info on Hugh or Hugha Bowen. He was married to Elizabeth Owen and was the father of Betty Polly Bowen b.9-11-1813 Cabell Co. VA who married John Wesley Ferguson on 2-12-1829. I would like to know more on Hugh and Elizabeth.

Polly Bunn

Hugh Bowen

Presha (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 1999 10:45PM GMT
Polly, I am also descended from Hugh Bowen. His father's name was John and his mother was Elizabeth. John bought land in Botetourt County, VA in the late 1780s. That part of VA is now in Montgomery County. I don't know anything about John's family. Presha

Hugh Bowen

Posted: 22 Nov 1999 10:55PM GMT
I have been informed that in some places Hugh is liste as Hugha and that John was his father and his mother was Elizabeth LaFon.
I guess you already know Hugh was the county clerk of Wayne Co.???

Polly Bunn email pollybunn@aol.com

HUGH Bowen -VA

Posted: 10 Jan 2000 5:03PM GMT
Presha-

I was driving through Montgomery Co. Last week and got to the Courthouse at 3pm. This is in Christiansburg VA. I found Hugh Bowen and Elizabeth Owens Marriage license.They were married 6-18-1805

Polly Bunn

Hugh Bowen

Presha (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2000 7:26PM GMT
Thanks for the marriage info on Hugh. Did you happen to find out anything about his father, John?

Hugha Bowen

Posted: 10 Feb 2000 9:28PM GMT
Presha-

I have some but it comes from two sources and they conflict. They both agree that his wife's first name is Elizabeth but have different last names for her . They both list montgomery co. Va as to where both died.

Hope you will be able to help with this. My mother is quite ill and i don't have much time at present.

Good Luck!!

Polly email pollybunn@aol.com

Re: Hugh Bowen -Wayne Co Wv

Diana (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2001 10:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hugha actually had two wives, Elizabeth Owen and Susannah Trout. Apparently, he had 21 children between the two wives. I have been in touch with a person on Genforum who has said they have a photo of him. Another lady has graciously sent a great deal of info that she has. It is also on Genforum. If you go there, just search for Hugha Bowen and I'm sure you'll find it interesting reading. There is an obituary included there on one of the ladies. They were so much more personal back then.

I am in the Huntington, WV, area and visit Bowen Cemetery where many of the family are buried.

There is a copy of his will around here that I would be happy to send you. I have some of the more recent family pretty well mapped out. However, it is so HUGE that it is difficult to get them all. I mostly have my husband's part. He is Robert, son of Clayton, son of Abraham, son of Hugha. From what we can figure out, it is also confusing that he duplicated some of the children's names in his second marriage.

We recently started a family web site and I would be happy to invite you to that if you like. Let me know and I'll email it to you. We had a family reunion this past summer and there is a picture there of Robert's two aunts and uncle (all that are left of his father's generation).

He was born on 10-25-1783 and died on 07-01-1866. She was born 05-14-1781 and died 09-23-1842. Both died in Wayne County, WV. I haven't been able to find out where they are buried. They were married on 06-19-1805. He married Susannah after her death (possibly @1844).

This is what I have in a nutshell.

Posted: 21 Mar 2002 3:15PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2005 5:45PM GMT
Surnames: bowen
Hi. I am part of your family. My line starts with John and Elizabeth Lafron, then Hughaand elizabeth Owen, then John Bachus and Hester Haney, then Cephas and Dora BellmTharp(Thorpe), Alonza and Mattie Cannon, James and Grace, and me dale e. bowen.

I am looking for any infomation on John Bowen's (1750) parents. There seens to be no records of them. Can you help. please write to me at dalerp1usn@hotmail.com. Thanks

Re: HUGH Bowen -VA

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 3:21AM GMT
Good Evening,

Our family has been searching for YEARS for information on a John Bowen of Va. who had a daughter Mary born Feb. 16, 1800 there in Va. However, by 1812 they were in Franklin Co., Tn. where she married Bluford Bethell @ 1824. Now John and his wife (her name may have been Sarah) could have gone to DeKalb Co. (was then Smith Co.), Tn. before ending up in Franklin Co. Most of those early records in Franklin Co. have been lost so am hopeing that perhaps someone else just MIGHT happen to have information on this John.

I do have a great deal of information on this line descending that I will gladly share. This has been one of our brick walls.

Beth

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 6:37AM GMT
Hi, it's been years since your Ancestry comment about Hugha Bowen, but I have been doing my family genealogy for a few years now. I would be interested in your family website. My grandmother was Retta Bowen, daughter of Herman, son of Dock, son of Alderson, who was Hugha's 22nd child. I am also descended on the Ferguson side from Hugha's daughter Elizabeth. My grandmother's sister is Rebecca Bowen Craze. She still lives in Huntington, as do her two daughters and their families. I do have quite a bit of info on the line, but would love to look at or add to the site, as we have tons more family and I have 3 sons, including 8 week old twins.
It's nice to meet distant cousins. We live in Connecticut. My husband is from here. My grandfather left Huntington for the Air Force and my father was Army, so I grew up all over, but mostly in GA.
Best wishes,
Beth Parrish Hollman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic