Search for content in message boards

John and Mary Eldred's descendants RI-VT-NY

John and Mary Eldred's descendants RI-VT-NY

Posted: 11 Aug 2004 6:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Eldred, Greene, Cole, Harrington
I recently picked up a copy of Marston Watson's (2004) Royal Families: Reverend Francis Marbury and Five Generations of His Descendants Through Anne Marbury Hutchinson, et al.

In this geneaology, Watson states that John Eldred, son of Lt. Thomas Eldred and Susanna Cole, was born in 1670 and possibly died young. Therefore there was no record of his descendants.

My research has relied on other's reports that John Eldred was a Captain in the "Train Band", lived his whole life in N. Kingston and E. Greenwich, RI, married Mary ______,and died November 13, 1741.

Among his descendants was John Eldred (1712), who married Mary Greene and next Abigail Fish, and moved to Pownal,VT.

My familly line, I thought, then went like this:
John Eldred and Mary Greene
Nathan Eldred and Ruth Spencer (Pownal, VT)
Nathan Eldred and Hannah Cole (New Lisbon, NY)
Hannah Cole Eldred and Olney Harrington (NE)

Did Watson simply miss Captain John Eldred, or is he in fact undocumented by primary sources?

Re: John and Mary Eldred's descendants RI-VT-NY

Posted: 18 Aug 2006 4:53PM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2006 8:44PM GMT
Hello there that is the same line i am working on but i don't have Nathan Eldred . I have Thomas and Susannah Cole but i don't know nothing on Nathan Eldred. I was hoping you can help fill in the holes.

Thank You

MIchell Isaac
8/18/06

Posted: 22 Aug 2006 12:08AM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Eldred, Greene, Bates, Aylesworth
Nathan Eldred born 1742 in N. Kingstowne, d. 24 Nov. 1830 in Pownal, Vt. Married to Ruth Spencer, b. 1746, d 26 January 1785. Children: Ruthy, Charles, Mary, Henry, William, Nathan, Abigail, and Jeremiah.

He was son of John Eldred and Mary Greene

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 3:21PM GMT
My research interests parallel yours as we share almost the same line of descent. Can you tell me what captain of the train band means? I have not seen that phrase before. I also see documentation about Nathan Eldred's first wife Ruth. I can't find any confirmed link to Spencer and welcome help. I do have a bit on Hannah Cole if you are interested.

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Eldred Spencer Cole
My research interests parallel yours as we share almost the same line of descent. Can you tell me what captain of the train band means? I have not seen that phrase before. I also see documentation about Nathan Eldred's first wife Ruth. I can't find any confirmed link to Spencer and welcome help. I do have a bit on Hannah Cole if you are interested.

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Eldred, Cole, Spencer
Train band refers to a colonial militia, and apparently is short for "trained band", i.e. a group of men who were drafted and trained to serve. The term began in England and was in the colonies in the 17th and part of the 18th centuries.

The Spencer name has been hard for me to confirm as well. I have borrowed others' research but do not have primary source material. There is a Spencer family in Hartford, with several Obadiahs in it. I have other Spencers in my line, specifically two sisters named Audrah and ? who married Job Harrington (from RI (b., as I recall 1780's), living in Otsego County, NY and dying in Climax, MI) as his second and third wives.

I would love to have information about Hannah Cole. If she is descended from John Cole, first innkeeper in Boston whose son John married Susannah Hutchinson, then I would have a double line of descent from that line as well. If you prefer, you could e-mail that information

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 1:38AM GMT
What's your email address? I'll send you my Cole info. I think that is where the Spencer connection comes in. Do you know Richard Casburn?

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 1:00PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: ELDRED, SPENCER, COLE
According to Nelson B. ELDRED (“Samuel ELDRED and Some of His Descedants”) John3(Thomas2, Samuel1) was born between 1670 and 1680 and died in Kingston 1741, He lists many different dates and accomplishments that someone must have been gleaned from primary sources such as: military service, administrator of his fathers estate, overseer of another estate, witnessing a will, land deeds, a payment from North Kingstowne , executor for his brothers will, member of Town Council, and filing of his will for probate in 1741.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. My line of Eldred continues from John: John4, Daniel5, Caleb6, Stephen7, Octavius8, Harry, 9, Robert10.

I also am interested in COLE and SPENCER information and would appreciate seeing what others have.

Tim Eldred
Maetours(at)cheqnet.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions