Search for content in message boards

Weeks from New York Bay of Quinte, Canada

Weeks from New York Bay of Quinte, Canada

judy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2000 10:41PM GMT
I am looking for information on the family line of Samuel, Townsend and Isaac Weeks, three brothers who emigrated from (most likely) Dutchess County in New York State to the Bay of Quinte in Ontario, Canada in the 1830s or 40s. I am trying to determine who their parents were and what town or city in New York state they settled before moving to Canada. Any help would be appreciated.

Weeks

judy (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2000 8:02PM GMT
I have just read a short history of Lorain Co. ohio where a James Weeks was discussed. Said He was from NYC and his family line went back from him to: John-Abel-James-Samuel-Frances who was the first to come from England in 1635. Don't know if this might be of any help.

Weeks from NY and Bay of Quinte Canada

Lynda LeMay (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2000 12:41PM GMT
Judy, Check out the webpage for The Olive Tree. http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/nyres.htm
Scroll down to Books and Collections to "Long Island Genealogies. Cornell University's Making of America project put this book online. There is a whole chapter on Weeks, and they are mentioned here and there thru out the book.

thank you, Judy and Lynda

judy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2000 8:43PM GMT
Haven't been to my e-mail lately! Thank you both for your kindness in replying. I'm going to scour both sources. I believe that once I solve the puzzle of the brothers' parentage, these references will help fill in the rest. Thanks again.

Tonsend Weeks

Judi Weeks-Henrici (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2000 3:09PM GMT
Judy -
I have a Townsend Weeks from New York City in my family tree. He was born abt 1787 in New York (City?) His father was Solomen Weeks born about 1750
Townsend Weeks married Hannah Nelson and moved to Springfield Center NY. Their son James Nelson Weeks b 8/27/1819 married Martha Louise McChesney (b 6/25/1822)..
Let me know if you think this is related. I would love to share more information
email me at judhen@telenet.net

Re: Weeks from New York Bay of Quinte, Canada

Posted: 23 Feb 2002 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 31 Aug 2002 4:24PM GMT
Surnames: Weeks
Judy,
I am descended from Samuel, Issac and Townsend Weeks from Dutchess County, New York. They settled in the Bay of Quinte area called Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada. They settled in the area referred to localy as "Stinson Block". I know where their farms are and some of them are buried on their farms. They were United Empire Loyalists and this organization has documented their graves on these farms. I want to now go and see their graves, but must ask the people who own the farms now.
I have a few more stories to tell you about the Weeks family as my father remembers his grandmother, Elia Weeks (Eleanor).
If you have any information on them when in the United States, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also have some photographs of the Weeks'.

Please e-mail me back at alexandervalerie@hotmail.com

thankyou and I look forward to hearing from you soon,
Valerie Alexander-Gertz

Posted: 7 Jul 2002 7:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Weeks
Judy
Did you ever find out anything about the 3 Weeks brothers' parents? This is a mystery I have been trying to solve for years. I am descended from Isaac. I know they came from Dutchess County NY

Mike Howell (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2003 12:42AM GMT
Hi Noela....Isaac, Samuel and Townsend also had two sisters - Mary and Betsy. Parents of the five are Solomon Weeks b abt 1765 at Fishkill, Dutchess County, New York married to Polly Meddler July 16, 1797. Solomon's parents are Abraham Weeks b abt 1736 at Oyster Bay, Nassau County, New York and Lamenty LaDue. Abraham's parents are Solomon Weeks and either Nancy or Mary Waters (unsure). Mary Weeks married Joseph Young - Probably in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada and I descend from them.....Still working on a lot of the dates and other information...but...we are all doing that...smile...Mike Howell

Noela Vandermeulen (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2003 6:38PM GMT
Hi Mike
I ahve some of the information you have. According to my records, Solomon Weeks married Polly Meddler July 16, 1797. I have listed 6 children:
Isaac, Mary, Joel, Rebecca (Betsy?), Samuel, and Townsend. I have lots of descendants of Isaac and Samuel and some of Mary's. All I have on Townsend is that he had a son and nothing on the others. Here is what I have on Mary.
Mary married Joseph Young in the US. She died aged 99 years and one day, but I don't have any dates. They had 4 sons and 2 daughters but I only have listed one son John b. 1812, d. 1893. John is listed in the 1851 census for lot 1-2, First Concession, Ameliasburgh Township, Prince Edward County.
John married Susan Nix b. 1818 d. 1917. They had a son, Marshall b. 1851 d. 1943. Marshall married Rosa Vail. They had 3 sons, Ernest who died in WW I, Clarence, and Arnot. Arnot had a son Keith who married Marjorie Young. They had a son Mansfred who had a daughter Shelley Young.
Are any of these your close relatives?
My problem with the Weeks information that I have is that I have Isaac Weeks born in 1780 and his father Solomon born in 1765 and married in 1797. Somewhere the dates I have are wrong.
I will share any information I have and would appreciate it if you could add anything to what I have.
Isaac Weeks was my GGGgrandfather, so I guess you are my distant cousin!
Noela

Mike Howell (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2003 8:23PM GMT
Hi Noela - and thanks....
Did not know about Joel................................................ Mary Weeks and Joseph Young married in U.S. - makes sense as I have their son - John A. Young b 1812 in Ohio - however, at some point, some of them must have moved back to Prince Edward County, Ont....as my Grandmother - Myrtle "Merta" Dehlia Young was born Sep 06, 1870 at Consecon, Prince Edward County, Ont. - her parents are Johnson Young b 1849 d 1880 and Catherine Massey (no dates) Johnson Young was one of fifteen children of John A. Young and Susan Nix - I have their names and dates if You would want them. Marshall and Johnson are brothers - Johnson being my Great Grandfather. I have the same dates as You on Isaac and Solomon. Would be happy to share information also......Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions