Search for content in message boards

Nicholas Moran - Irishman who was apprenticed to a millwright in Amsterdam

Nicholas Moran - Irishman who was apprenticed to a millwright in Amsterdam

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2012 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: Moran
Hi all,

My great-great-great-grandfather Nicholas Moran of Fence, Tacumshane, Co. Wexford, Ireland (b. c.1822) was apprenticed to a millwright in Amsterdam, I am not sure for how long. He then went home to Wexford where he built Tacumshane Windmill (still standing today) in 1846. In 1868 he married Anne (Nannie) Murphy (b. c.1852) and they had eight children.

I am trying to find any information about him when he was in the Netherlands, but I'm not having much luck. There doesn't seem to be much online. Does anyone know of any online resources that might help me? I'm looking for census records, apprenticeship records, things like that. Possibly marriage and birth records, I suspect he may have been married and had children in the Netherlands.

Also I'm trying to figure out how he got to Amsterdam. Does anyone know of anywhere I can check ship records for Amsterdam? Only records I can find are to or from North America. It's possible he may have sailed to France and gone over land to the Netherlands, but I really don't know!

Am a bit stuck and would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Liz

Re: Nicholas Moran - Irishman who was apprenticed to a millwright in Amsterdam

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 11:10PM GMT
Just adding up all the ages it would seem pretty unlikely that he got married in Holland. If the Windmill was built in 1846 when he got back from Amsterdam he would have been only 20-24 years old. There is a national database called Genlias and they have marriages from 1836-1922 for Amsterdam and there were no hits. Amsterdam is a little problematic compared to the rest of the country, it is not as easy to find records because much hasn't been transcribed. The only census useful is an 1853 one when he was already back in Ireland. Unless he came back with a wife and/or children born in Holland its probably a goose egg. I would check out the familysearch website for original records and see if you can get lucky. Another anvenue is to order microfilm off their website, you can view the microfilm at their family center's. Finding the marriage license of him and Anne Murphy would be helpful, it could yield significant information.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 7:39AM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2012 1:05PM GMT
Surnames: Moran/Murphy/O'Neill
Hi
Re: Nicholas Moran Millwright Tacumshane.

My connection is Moran/Murphy/O'Neill, all photos you have posted, you say your stuck what way can I help, Am I right in saying Nicholas Murphy was your Ggrandfather

Demonei

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 6:02PM GMT
Hi Demonei,

Sorry for late reply, didn't see this until now. Yes Nicholas Murphy was my great grandfather. Are you a descendant of his brother Tom? Would love to hear more from you, you can email me at eilis.ni.bhriain@gmail.com if you'd like.

Liz

Posted: 19 Aug 2013 4:58PM GMT
My great grandfather was also named Nicholas Murphy. I wonder if this is the same person. I know very little about him before he came to the USA.
Please send me any information you may have on your Nicholas, and I will do the same. I know he was born in the mid 1800s in Ireland.
Thank you in advance,
Pat Murphy-Zezelic

Posted: 19 Aug 2013 5:13PM GMT
Hi Patricia,

No, this is not the same person. My great-grandfather never left Ireland and was born in the 1900s. Nicholas Murphy is a very common name in Ireland so you are unlikely to find your ancestor without knowing where in Ireland he was born.

Regards,

Liz

Posted: 19 Aug 2013 8:30PM GMT
That's the problem, There are so many Murphys. And to make matters worse, his parents names were Mary and John, ugh! I've searched everywhere, with no luck.
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly, and best of luck with your searches.
Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic