Search for content in message boards

Research help needed in Friesland!

Research help needed in Friesland!

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 12:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello!
I am starting to research my ancestors who resided in Friesland. Is there anyone who is able to look up information for me? My first person is Jan Baukes Talsma. He was born in 1762 in Wanswerd, Ferwerderadiel, Friesland. I need his exact date of birth in order to start filling in pieces of information. I tried Genlias.nl but had no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jodi VanEngen-Walder

Re: Research help needed in Friesland!

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 1:13AM GMT
Try www.tresoar.nl. It can be searched in English as well as Dutch. I searched on Jan Bauke (family names were not generally used until 1811 or later) and came up with this:

Ferwerderadeel, dopen, geboortejaar 1762, doopjaar 1789
Dopeling: Jan
Geboren in maart 1762
Gedoopt op belijdenis op 22 maart 1789 in Wanswerd
Kind van Bauke Dirks en Vroukje Harmens

Gestandaardiseerde namen (voornaam en patroniem):
Dopeling : JAN of JANKE
Vader : BAUKE DIRKS
Moeder : FROUKJE HARMENS

Bron:
Collectie Doop-, Trouw-, Begraaf- en Lidmaatboeken (DTBL)
Herv. gem. Wanswerd en Jislum, doop 1686-1811
Inventarisnr. : DTB 243
Op microfiche beschikbaar op studiezaal Tresoar

Wijzigingsdatum: 16-8-2006

This doesn't give the exact date of birth, just March 1762, and shows his baptism (doop) date as 22 Mar 1789. His parents were Bauke Dirks and Vroukje Harmens.

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 1:23AM GMT
Thanks for your help! I will try the site you suggested.

Jodi

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 4:15PM GMT
Jodi,

This may give you some help as well:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

John

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 4:40PM GMT
Jodi,

Jan Baukes Talsma was baptized on the Sunday (22 March 1789) he made profession of faith in the Netherlands Reformed Church in Wanswerd. I could not find a marriage record for his parents which could indicate they never married in the Church and thus never had their children baptized. Or it could be they were of the Baptist religion and did not believe in infant baptism. Nonetheless, Jan Baukes Talsma became a member of the Netherlands Reformed Church on 22 March 1789 and since he was not baptized as an infant did so on that day as well.

Jan Baukes took the surname of Talsma for he and his children on 14 March 1812 in Wanswerd. His wife had the surname of "Terpstra". The clerk wrote Jan Baukes last name as "Tolsma" but he signed the document "Talsma".

His death record confirms that his parents were Bauke Dirks and Vroukje Harmens:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19023-23106-22?cc...
Its at the top left on the screen.

Interesting that the clerk at the time of his death wrote his name as "Tolsma" just like the clerk in 1812 when he took his surname.

John

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 7:44PM GMT
John, could you help me? I am 1st generation American and I'm trying to trace my Dutch heritage. I'm basically stuck because I do not speak/read Dutch.
I can provide whatever information I have, if you decide you could help me.
My grandmother was born in Den Helder, Netherlands. I do not know about my grandfather. If you reply, i will provide names, dates, anything you need.

Thanks so much.

Anneka Nydam (Nijdam)

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Nijdam and Nydam
I would be happy to assist you. I've completed my Mom's families and have assisted a few others. I enjoy the Friesland record site the best. Contact me directly by e-mail --ETexGal@webtv.net

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 9:32PM GMT
Anneka,

If you send me the information I can see what I can find. Contact me directly at: frysk48 (at) yahoo.com

PS: Interestingly, I know some Nijdam families in Friesland.

John

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 12:29AM GMT
Hi John,

You sent the message for Anneka to me on accident I think! If you don't mind, I will keep your e-mail address on file in case I have other questions? I am having a tough time trying to master the "graftombe" site so I may need some help with research!

Thanks,

Jodi

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 12:34AM GMT
I thank you so much for your offer to help me. I am afraid that I am unable to speak or read Dutch!! Considering that about 95% of my ancestors are Dutch, you would think that I would know how to translate some of it! lol! I will send you an e-mail soon with a few people who I need info on. My main family to research in Friesland is the Terpstra family. Thanks again and I'll be in touch!!

Jodi VanEngen-Walder
per page

Find a board about a specific topic