Search for content in message boards

richad harding

richad harding

Posted: 9 Sep 2009 11:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info on Richard Harding, my greatgrandfather. Died 1918 in flu epidemic. Lived in Neffs,Belmont co.,Ohio. Born about 1880? Where not known. Wife was Catherine Williams from Luzern co.,Pa. She died in 1961. My grandfather, Arlington J. Harding, born 1907 or 1908 in Neffs, Ohio.He said born '07,census says '08. Richard was a bridge builder. Met Catherine while building bridge in Pa. Don't know if he was from Ohio or Pa. originally.My grandfather had a brother, Cortland. Ricard was buried in Luzern co.,Pa. near where family moved to after his death.

Re: richad harding

Posted: 10 Sep 2009 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: Harding
According to the 1910 US Census your Richard Harding was born 1885 in Pennsylvania, both of his parents were born in England. His wife Catherine was born in Maryland and both of her parents were born in Wales.

Richard reports his occupation as coal miner.
Son Arlington J Harding born Pennsylvania
Son Edward C Harding born Ohio (guessing the middle C is for Cortland?)

Catherine Harding is found on the 1920 census - occupation Housekeeper with her two sons Arlington Harding born Pennsylvania abt 1907 and Cortland Harding born Ohio abt 1910 (this son appears on the 1910 census so it's easy to assume he was born 1910)

Son Arlington is found on the 1930 Census in Luzerne PA with wife Martha and son Richard. All three born in Pennsylvania

Son Arlington Harding died Jan 1985 Mountain Top Luzerne PA
Birth 23 April 1907.

I also noted that your Richard Harding registered for the WWI draft in Belmont Co Ohio signing his draft card on Sept 12, 1918 listing his wife as Catherine Harding, Neff Ohio. His card does not list day or month of birth but does confirm birth year of 1885 and states his age is 33. Occupation is still Miner.

Not sure if this is helpful or if your Hardings are related to mine. But following this information and getting a death record, marriage record or birth record for the sons will bring you much closer to the facts you seek.

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 9:22AM GMT
Thanks for the info. Would you know if Richard had any siblings, or what his parents names were? Cemetary records said that a John Harding paid for the cemetary plot in Pa. I know nothing of a John, my Grandfather would not say, maybe didn't know. He would never talk about his families background. My Dad said he'd never tell him anything either. Always a mystery to us.

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 5:15PM GMT
I'd suggest you dig a bit deeper. Try using the site findagrave.com. Search for the cemetery where you find your Richard. Then search for Hardings in the same cemetery. From there check the census records. You should find what you're looking for. Of course the best source is going to be his actual birth date. Can you confirm that it's the date found on the WWI draft card? If so chances are he was born in Luzerne County and getting a birth record from there should be simple. You should also check the web for the local library in that town.

I did a quick search on findagrave.com and found that Richard is at rest with
Brother Courtland, died Oct 1927
A possible brother that died before age 2 - George S 1887 died April 1898
A Mary Harding died May 1925
another Richard Harding died 1930
John Harding died April 1898 (my guess is that this might be his father)

Hope this is helpful....Katherine

Posted: 12 Sep 2009 5:30PM GMT
Thanks for the reply Katherine. I'll try these suggestions when I get some time. The Mary and other Richard I don't know about. Harding is not an uncommon name in Pa. Courtland was killed in a mine accident. He had just finished High school. First in the family to do so. My grandfather had gone into the mines full time when his father[Richard], died. Thanks again.Rick.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic