Search for content in message boards

Camp Holmes-Civil War camp near Raleigh NC

Camp Holmes-Civil War camp near Raleigh NC

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 9:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know where the camp is actually located? Everything I have found says "near Raleigh". Any historical markers nearby?
Were there any civil war battles fought at this location or was it just an enlistment place?
Thanks for any information.

Re: Camp Holmes-Civil War camp near Raleigh NC

Posted: 15 Jul 2011 2:11AM GMT
My best first hits on this show that it was "a mile" or "mile-&-half" north or northeast of Raleigh. There is also a reference to it being on the Raleigh & Gaston rail line. The Bevers map of 1870 shows that line, but no notation of Camp Holmes. Might be about where Bevers shows "Tannery"

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 5:31PM GMT
Thanks, poked around the old maps also and could not find it. Based on the fact the old main building on the Peace College campus was a confederate hospital and the RR was nearby, perhaps Camp Holmes was on or near the present day campus. I see where several soldiers died vs KIA at Camp Holmes so maybe this is near the campus.

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 10:06PM GMT
Sounds reasonable. In my eye I was placing it above Mordecai due to the 1-&-half mile statement. Peace is closer than that to North St, but you could be right. Might find some data in the founding information of Peace.

Posted: 9 Feb 2012 1:49AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 13 May 2012 3:06AM GMT

Re: Camp Holmes-Civil War camp near Raleigh NC (found it)

Posted: 12 May 2012 10:31PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
It took me about a half a day to find this. After about an hour of calculating, I determined that Camp Holmes was located about where Wake Forest Road hits Capital Blvd north of downtown Raleigh. Attached is a map I photocopied from the state archives superimposed over a Google map of the area. Because much of the modern Pigeon house creek more of a canal now, I relied mostly on the railroad, indicated by the dashed line running south of the camp. The official map is one of the defenses of Raleigh, created in 1863 for Governor Zebulon Vance, and several close-up negatives are available for viewing at the state archives free of charge. You're welcome.
Attachments:

Re: Camp Holmes-Civil War camp near Raleigh NC (found it)

Posted: 13 May 2012 11:33AM GMT
Bull's eye!

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 8:56PM GMT
Thank you for all your time in looking this up
per page

Find a board about a specific topic