Search for content in message boards

St Vincent Orphanage , 1900 & 1910 Columbus Ohio

St Vincent Orphanage , 1900 & 1910 Columbus Ohio

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 11:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Sep 2010 4:55AM GMT
I have found a lot of information and need assistance as to how to find the census for an institution. Any quick help on St Vincent's Orphanage in Columbus Ohio in the year 1900 and 1910?
So far I am going through the Wards and Precints one page at a time and have found several "Institutions", but not St Vincents.

Re: St Vincent Orphanage , 1900 & 1910 Columbus Ohio

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 3:35AM GMT
Re: 1920 Columbus, St Vincent's Orphanage, 1490 E Main St
duval2 (View posts) Posted: 22 Sep 2006 5:06PM

Surnames:
Hi Sheila, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Here are the ED's for St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum in1900 & 1910.

1900 census, ED #182, Starting on page 1A

1910 census, ED #65, Starting on page 19A

Looks like someone else was interested!

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 9:11PM GMT
Thank you so much. I did not find my relatives, but was glad not to have to go through the whole city of Columbus records to try to find them. I have not had luck trying to find records of the orphanage. I have called the Sisters" Order who were there early 1900's, but they have no records and suggested the Columbus Catholic Diocese. I will be making a trip to Columbus!!

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 9:42PM GMT
I was looking for Orphanage records in Toledo OH. They have a Priest that is their archivists. They had some of their parish records on line, even some orphange records, but not all. I emailed and ask him to look for me, and he found the exact records I needed. In my case it was when he was accepted into the orphanage, and when he departed. He was adopted by his grandfather during this time period, and I had already found his first communion record on line. I would call and see who has the records in that area, as perhaps you can save time if they can assist you.

He even scanned some records for me.

Posted: 18 Sep 2010 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: Leavy
Hi, I've been looking for census records for St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum in Columbus, Ohio as well. My great great grandmother Anna Leavy was confirmed in the chapel there in February 1877 so I believe she must have also been a resident there. Any help on how to find the 1870 census records for St. Vincent's would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about her family, whether she had any siblings etc. so I hope these records will be a good place to start.

Posted: 18 Sep 2010 4:36PM GMT
Possibility?

1870 United States Federal Census

Name: Anna Levi
Birth Year: abt 1868
Age in 1870: 2
Birthplace: Ohio
Home in 1870: Columbus Ward 4, Franklin, Ohio
Race: White
Value of real estate: View image
Post Office: Columbus
Household Members: Name Age
Michael Levi 40
Gertrude Levi 40
Aaron Levi 13
William Levi 11
Sarah Levi 9
Minnie Levi 7
Rolla Levi 6
Harry Levi 4
Anna Levi 2
Mary Bacich 14
Caroline Wolf 34

Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Columbus Ward 4, Franklin, Ohio; Roll M593_1201; Page: 183B; Image: 254; Family History Library Film: 552700.

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1870 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
Original data:
1870 U.S. census, population schedules. NARA microfilm publication M593, 1,761 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
Minnesota census schedules for 1870. NARA microfilm publication T132, 13 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.

Description:
This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1870 United States Federal Census, the Ninth Census of the United States. Census takers recorded many details including each person's name, age at last birthday, sex, color; birthplace, occupation, and more. No relationships were shown between members of a household. Additionally, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1870 Federal Census.

© 2010, The Generations Network, Inc.
<< Return to Results Screen

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure how to find the orphanage other than to go through the census page by page on Ancestry or HeritageQuest.

Good luck!

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 2:43PM GMT
I lived at St Vincent in the early 1970's and was adopted by a staff member who died in 1986. I have been unable to find out anything about my (birth parents) or the 3 years that I lived there.
Dear friend I hope that you have better luck than I did. St Vincent was and is a place that likes to keep its secrets.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 9:11PM GMT
I even called the Sisters (Order) who were in charge. When they pulled out, they didn't take any records. I talked with a Sister in their Geneology dept. She said many times back then (turn of the century and before) kids came because their parents couldn't take care of them, then when the parents got back on their feet, the kids went back home. I talked with St. Vincents a couple of years ago and they said they didn't have any records. I will try to contact the Catholic Diocese this summer. Do you even know a family name?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions