Search for content in message boards

GEDCOM Creator/ Writer Software?

GEDCOM Creator/ Writer Software?

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 12:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Rather than do a full install of FTM, I am looking for a program that I can enter in data that will output a GEDCOM file, which I can later import into FTM. A program that I can use when I have a little freetime to enter in the hundreds of people in my family, then later tweak in FTM.

I have seached the boards here, as well as the web. Everything I find refers to large software programs that export GEDCOM.

Is there software that soley creates or writes GEDCOM?

Re: GEDCOM Creator/ Writer Software?

Posted: 9 Oct 2008 9:55PM GMT
Not that I know of...

Your best bet is to get some very simple basic genealogy program and enter your data there and then export to a GEDCOM to enter into FTM - although I have no idea why one would choose that particular program {shudder!}

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 7:14AM GMT
Or if you really want to be that basic, just use any terxt editor, such as Microsoft's 'Notepad.

there's nothing magic about GEDCOM files. They are a seriesd of tagged rows of data typed in a simple text file.

Of course you do need to understand the underlying structure, but a read of the GEDCOM specification will provide that. Its not hard.

If thats too basic, then I see little benefit in doing anything other than getting software like FTM and using its data entry facilities, which are designed to avoid the need to understand the GEDCOM spec. Ignore all its 'bells and whistles' and it does just what you are looking for.

Posted: 12 May 2013 9:13PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 13 May 2013 1:18PM GMT

Posted: 13 May 2013 12:24AM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2013 12:27AM GMT
The software I use requires PHP, MySQL and a web server, but it does produce 100% v5.5.1 compliant GEDCOM.

The only problem I see with your theory is that FMT does not read GEDCOM that is compliant correctly. It drops many good constructs and requires many non-standard tags to connect people up correctly in its database.

Many other programs have similar problem.

I have tried this idea and have been nothing but frustrated with FMT and many of the other programs I have tried!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions