Search for content in message boards

Look-Up Request of Marriage Certificate

Look-Up Request of Marriage Certificate

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 12:09AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Lake, Fuller, Walker
Wondering if anyone in the area would be willing to look up a marriage certificate for Joseph Lake and Cynthia Walker, they were married in this county on March 24, 1853. What I want to know is are their parents' names listed on the document, and what are they? Before I spend money on ordering a document hoping that the information I seek is on there, thanks.

Yvonne

Re: Look-Up Request of Marriage Certificate

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 2:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Parents names are not on the marriage licenses or applications in Indiana in 1853 except when the bride or groom are underage.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:50PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

Stop thinking in today's terms.
Marriages were usually recorded in a ledger book.
Certificate were not issued.

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 5:21PM GMT
thomasker2, that is not entirely correct. What you will find recorded in books is the marriage license / application with a notation on when the marriage was actually performed. A certificate may or may not have been given to the couple after the ceremony for them to keep showing that the marriage had taken place. I have seen copies of early marriage certificates.

Looking at the marriage application the OP was asking about, it states that the marriage "CERTIFICATE" was returned to the courthouse to be recorded on 28 March 1853. These certificates will not however be on file in the county courthouse, only the books with the marriage license / application and the date the certificate was returned and the marriage recorded as completed. If the official marriage record with the county calls the document returned to them after the marriage took place a certificate then who are we to say differently. Perhaps we need to stop thinking in today's terms.

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 5:33PM GMT
Yvonne,

There is no need to spend money to see the marriage license for Joseph Lake and Cynthia Walker. If you go to familysearch.org you can see the image of their marriage license there. Unfortunately, as already stated, licenses that early in Indiana did not include names of parents unless one of the parties getting married was underage and needed consent to marry.

Do you have any additional information on this couple that might help identify them? Years and places of birth? Did they stay in the Marshall County area after they were married? I live in the area and might be able to assist if you can give me some additional info. :)

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 4:30PM GMT
I am going to send you several emails with attachments.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 4:32PM GMT
More
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 4:33PM GMT
More
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 4:35PM GMT
More, Last
Attachments:

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 1:54AM GMT
Thank you to jeby11 and Melanie Jones for all of your help! I appreciate your effort to scan and mail things to me, the kindness of strangers is alive and well in your county. Plus, Melanie is now helping me find out information about another family line of mine in the county, McDonald. Emma McDonald married William Z. Lake, the son of Joseph Lake and Cynthia Fuller in Marshall, but that is all I have on her other than her parents might be Samuel McDonald and Maria Springer. Thank you to both of you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions