Search for content in message boards

William B. Gross

William B. Gross

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gross Goldberg
My grandpa is Alfred D. Gross, now dead. Had several siblings, Sydney Gross, Bella Gross born June 25, 1918, Benjamin Gross born Jan 16 1920. Jackie (Male) Gross.

My grandpa's parents were Willim B. Gross and Gertrude Goldberg. Hebrews from Russia.

Re: William B. Gross

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: Gross
Did they come over to the U.S.? If where did the live?
Mag Hephner
thehephners@wctc.net

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 8:06PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2011 8:17PM GMT
They came over from Saint Petersburg, Russia..

But William was from Germany.

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 8:26PM GMT
They would have lived in Massachusetts or New York..

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Gross
My Gross family came from Germany and live in Ohio.

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 7:38AM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2011 8:15AM GMT
I find it sort of odd that we wouldn't be related for 2 reasons.

1. My William Benjamin Gross is also from Germany.

2. Gross is a Jewish Surname from Germany..

William had 5 boys, Alfred (my grandpa), Edward, Isaac, Jackie and Abraham.

Where the others lived or if William Benjamin Gross moved to Ohio or not I don't know.

But we can both agree that the chances of 2 identically named William B. Gross from Berlin, Germany are kinda SLIM.

To be 100% honest with you, I think I'm gonna spend the money and do a DNA test to see who all in the world I'm related to, that seems to be the easiest way, IMO.

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 2:01PM GMT
DNA won't tell you nothing unless a whole lot of Gross's do it. I too am a Gross of Jewish descent. My family came from the Jewish community in Königheim, Baden beginning in 1852 and at least five of them came to Massachuetts - two of them, first cousins - were named Moses Gross! Ascher changed his name to Isaac in America, and Vietel called himself Philip in America - they did this sort of thing "to blend into the new life"!!! I would note there have been Gross's in Massachuetts from the mid-1600's, not necesarily of Jewish origin.

We received the Gross family name at the order of the Grand Duke of Baden (1809 Edict, 1811 Registration of surname). It may have been only a registration of an existing surname, it may have been a new surname, we can't tell; no one can tell.

Mazel Tov.

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 4:55PM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2011 5:01PM GMT
Well my mom's name before she married was Cynthia Ann Gross, she grew up in Malden and graduated from UMASS.

Her parents were Elaine Phyllis Gross and Alfred David Gross.

And yes I realize it would require others to put their DNA up.. However I'm willing to take a chance with doing it because I will find 2 bloodlines of Czech ancestry as well as 2 bloodlines of Hebrew ancestry.

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 2:20PM GMT
Well I did the DNA Test, my mother did the DNA test, my second cousin Allen did the DNA test, and his mother did the DNA test..

So, if you ever do the DNA test, let us know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions