Search for content in message boards

ambotas or ambotis

ambotas or ambotis

Posted: 16 Sep 2005 3:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2009 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Ambotas, Ambotis
my great grandfather alexander ambotis and his brother vincency ambotas came from lithuania alex came in 1913 trying to find any or info on the famiy name they came from a place called pasheo funny hting is on the one census i can find alex says he came from russia while vincecy stae lithuania and they both spell their name different yet they are brothers can any one tell me how i can find out more abut the name

Re: ambotas or ambotis - TRY AMBOTAS

Tom S. (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2005 5:15PM GMT
I just did a quick search of the Lithuanian phone directory and found 14 listings for:

Ambotas - 2 males
Ambotiene - 12 married females (IENE ending indicates a married female)

I'd vote for AMBOTAS as the authentic spelling.

The 1920 Census was the first where Lithuania was allowed to be listed as a place of birth. Before that time they'd list Russia since Lithuania did not regain its independence until 1918.

Go to www.maps.lt at

http://www.maps.lt/newmaps/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabID=3350&am...

to search for the village. Type in only PAS and you get 200+ listing.

The SH sound is represented by S^. The mark over the S makes it sound like SH otherwise is would a regular S sound.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Re: ambotas or ambotis

Marie (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2005 11:40AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2009 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: Ambotas, Ambot
Have you searched the Ellis Island data base for the surname? There is a Baltrus Ambotas arrived 7/1/1923, age 67 going to his son Alex Ambot, 160 Lincoln, Harvey IL, from Radviliski, Siaulin Lithuania. It says he was in USA before.

rosemary leach (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2005 4:20PM GMT
hi marie yes i did see that however my alexander never lived in illinoise he came and lived in philadelphia

rose

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 5:17PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2009 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Ambotas
I would like to communicate with everybody, who has got relatives with "Ambotas" or similar surname (family name). My mother' s father was Petras Ambotas and I would like to know more about my grandfather's brothers or other relatives.
Write me to e-mail renata.meiliunaite@gmail.com
Thank you if you can help me.

Posted: 8 Jun 2009 8:11AM GMT
Hello, You can try search by: AMBUTAS (Ambutiene, Ambutaite).

From which part/side of Lithuania are your relatives? Maybe you know names of places, villages, etc.?

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 6:38PM GMT
Thank you, Eluksys.
I had heard that my grandfather was from Raseiniai, or near Raseiniai, I don't know exactly from where he was. My grandmother said that my grandfather's brother had lived in United States. I know (also not exactly if it is true) that my grandfather's brother or my great-grandfather's brother was a priest in United States. I would be happy if someone who has got a surname "Ambotas" (or similar)would answer.

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 8:47PM GMT
Hello, sorry I don't find any people with AMBOTAS (Ambotiene, Ambotaite) by on-line phonebook in Raseiniai district, but there are few people with this surname in other neighbour districts and towns- Kaunas, Jonava, etc.

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 10:51PM GMT
I will look in one of my books that lists Lithuanian churches in JAV and includes a list of priests. I will look for one named Ambotas.

Any idea about when he might have been born?

Tom S.

Kunigas Jonas Ambotas

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 3:15AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2009 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Ambotas
I didn't have a chance to check my books but here is a link to an article about Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Hartford, Connecticut JAV which mention Father Jonas Ambotas.

http://www.lituanus.org/1991_3/91_3_05.htm

"In the fall of 1912 Rev. Jonas Ambotas was assigned as permanent pastor of Holy Trinity Church. He was very energetic and dedicated as a priest and a leader working for the parish and for the welfare of the Lithuanian community."

I will check to see what more I can find about him.

Tom S.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic