Search for content in message boards

Romeyn/Romaine

Romeyn/Romaine

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 4:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Romaine/Romeyn
i think there may be a connection between those two names and my family line. If anyone has more information please let me know. the only info i have found is Isaac Romaine and found he maybe related to Klass Jansen Romeyn who came to america from Holland in 1653.Please help

Re: Romeyn/Romaine

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 9:24PM GMT
Romaine is french; romeyn is dutch/flemish.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:30AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Romeijn Romeyn
The original first name of "Klass Jansen Romeijn" is probably Klaas. Klaas is short for Nicolaas. Jansen indicates that he is the son of Jan Romeijn.
Do you have more information about his religion and/or the place in Holland where he came from? Trying to find his baptizm without community and religion is an impossible task.
Any information about his age?

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Romeijn
The site http://www.genlias.nl/en/page10.jsp gives

Detail result: (Witness)

Source Parish register - Baptism
Archive location Nationaal Archief
General Place: Nieuw Amsterdam-New York
Congregation: Collegiate Church of New York
Type of source: Doopboek
Denomination: NDG
Date of baptism: 04-02-1719
Child Aaltje
Father John Staff
Mother Aaltje Schars
Witness Nicolaas Romeijn
Witness Stijntje Romeijn

Could he be the witness at this baptizm, or is he then too old?

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: Romeyn, Romine, Schaers
That would be him. "Claes", as his name is usually given in the local records, did not die until possibly as late as Nov 1730...at least that is when his will was proven in court.

His parents were Jan Claesen (no known surname) and Leysebet Jans (no known surname). They are thought to have arrived in New Netherland in 1653. No clue where they came from except that Leysebet had a first husband. Nothing is known of him except his name, Christoffels Schaers.

Claes had one older half-brother, Johannes Christoffelsen, a sister, Lysebet Jans, and a brother, Stoffel Jansen. It was Claes and Stoffel who adopted the use of Romeyn as a surname, for unknown reasons. The name changed to Romine and Romaine over the years and is still changing, becoming Romines and Remine(s).

Renee L. Dauven
per page

Find a board about a specific topic