Search for content in message boards

Burks / Wreck Island Creek

Burks / Wreck Island Creek

Posted: 26 Jan 2002 5:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 May 2002 9:44PM GMT
Can anyone tell me where Wreck Island Creek was located? I can’t find it on early maps but I have found a Rack Island Creek in Buckingham (now Appomattox) County which flows into the James River up stream from Duguidsville. This would be SW from Duguidsville on the map. Duguidsville is now called Bent Creek and is located on the south bank of the James River near Rt. 60. Is Rack Island Creek the same as Wreck Island Creek mentioned in early surveys for Richard, Charles and John Burks?

Re: Burks / Wreck Island Creek

Posted: 26 Jan 2002 8:50PM GMT
My e-mail address for the query posted above is incorrect.
Should be: price_farvue@msn.com

Posted: 9 Feb 2002 12:56PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2002 12:18AM GMT
I have an early map of the area showing Wreck Island Creek. If you'd like it, e-mail me and I will scan and send. The map is very interesting, showing Old Buckingham County creeks, runs and rivers. 1761-1845. The area changed counties several times. Do you have other info on that area?

emily henderson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 11:27PM GMT
I happened across your question while I was looking for my Coleman, Nowlin, and Thomas ancesters in Appomattox County. I grew up at Concord, and am sure that Wreck Island Creek and Rack Island are the same. I used to fish at Rack Island when I was a little girl. Good Luck.

emily henderson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 11:27PM GMT
I happened across your question while I was looking for my Coleman, Nowlin, and Thomas ancesters in Appomattox County. I grew up at Concord, and am sure that Wreck Island Creek and Rack Island are the same. I used to fish at Rack Island when I was a little girl. Good Luck.

Charles Nowlin (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2003 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Nowlin
I happened upon your message by accident. If you have information on a Nowlin Family who live in Appomattox around 1850-1900, the father was named Thomas, wife was named Mary children named, Scott, Alex, Sam, Willard and a daughter named Lucy. Please send me the info. Alex was my father.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 5:21AM GMT
I live along Wreck Island Creek and have collected many old maps of Appomattox/Buckingham but am unaware of the map you are referring to. I would very much appreciate a copy. thank you, Joel
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions