Search for content in message boards

SANDBACH & TINNE

SANDBACH & TINNE

Posted: 21 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 9:57AM GMT
Surnames: Sandbach, Tinne
I am interested in the Sandbach and Tinne families. The Sandbach's were originally from Cheshire, England, and the Tinne's, I believe from the Netherlands and later lived in the Liverpool area of England.

Both these families seem to have had connections with British Guiana and also Grenada.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with any information about anyone with either of these names. Thanks.

SANDBACH and TINNE

Posted: 23 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: Sandbach, Tinne
TINNE/SANDBACH in Guyana(British Guiana)

More Monumental Inscriptions by Vere Langford Oliver
Demerara - Bourda Burial Ground, Vlissingen.
"On a modern plate fixecd on an old vault": Adrien Abraham Alexander Tinne / Assistant Secretary of the Court of Justice/ and Policy in the Colony/ Born 28th July 1785 / Died 1815."

P.F. Tinne, as Secretary to the court of Policy, signed the Capitulation in 1803.
An index of BDMs in The Colonist Newspaper, Georgetown, British Guiana for 1864-1880 has the following entries: Tinne: 1869, 71, 73, 74, 76, 77; Sandbach: 1873, 75, 76, 78
An index of BDMs in The Argosy Newspaper, Georgetown, British Guiana for 1880-1896 has the following entries :Tinne 1881, 91; Sandbach: 1889
Copies of these newspapers can be seen at the following addresses:
Public Record Office, Kew, Richmond Surrey TW9 4DU England
The British Library Newspaper Library, Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HE ENGLAND

British Guiana Directory 1882
1. Sandbach, G.R., Partner, Sandbach, Parker and Co., Liverpool
2. Sandbach, Parker & Co., Merchants, Water-street.
3. Tinne, John Ernest, Partner, Sandbach, Parker & co., Liverpool
British Guiana Directory 1882 Merchants and Shopkeepers
1. Sandbach, Prker and Co. - Merchants and Estates' Agents, Lots 8 & ( Water-street
Partners:
Non-Resident-
Saml. Sandbach Parker, Liverpool
Alfred Trail Parker, Liverpool
Gilbert Robertson Sandbach, Liverpool
John Ernest Tinne, Liverpool.
Resident -
Wm. H. Sherlock, Kitty Cottage.
(Two clerks who worked for the above firm were distant relatives of mine.).

Sugar Estates
Anna Catharina Estate: Proprietors, W.R. Sandbach, H.R. Sandbach, and J.A. Tinne, Liverpool. Town agents: Sandbach, Parker & Co.
Providence Estate; Props, Sandbach, Tinne and Co; Town agents: Sandbach, Parker & Co.
Ruimveld: Town Agents, Sandbach, Parker and Co.

Proprietors of Sugar Estates:
Sandbach, Parker & Co., Great Diamond
Sandbach, Tinne & Co., Anna Catharina, Leonora, Providence, Demerara.

This should help, I hope; I have no further information.

Regards
Tikwis

Many Thanks

Posted: 24 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2001 9:57AM GMT
Surnames: Sandbach, Tinne, Parker
Tikwis,

Thankyou very much for you response to my post - with so much information on these families (who were all related through marriage, SANDBACH, TINNE & PARKER).

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Lucy.

Re: SANDBACH & TINNE

leanne sandbach (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 4:13PM GMT
HI MY NAMES LEANNE SANDBACH AND MY GREAT GRANDAD WAS FROM SANDBACH IN CHEASHIRE.WHAT IS IT YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW AS I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP U.

leanne sandbach (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 4:13PM GMT
HI MY NAMES LEANNE SANDBACH AND MY GREAT GRANDAD WAS FROM SANDBACH IN CHEASHIRE.WHAT IS IT YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW AS I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP U.

Posted: 17 Apr 2002 1:54AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2006 2:14AM GMT
My name is Susan SANDBACH Mellott. I am also related to a Sandbach family from Northwich. Please sontact me at my email address: mellottandassoc@att.net.

Thanks.

Susan

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 5:36PM GMT
Surnames: Baksh
I believe that my great grandfather travelled from india to british guiana, now Guyana, on one of your granddad's boat. Do you have access to the passenger's list. I am not sure but believe that the boat was named rottella and travelled in 1876 with a passenger named wajadalli( not sure of another name). Can you please help as my father is very interested to know about his grandfather, Wajadalli.
Any clue would help.
Thanks
Fazil Baksh

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 2:10AM GMT
Surnames: Sandbach Tinne Parker Risien
My 3xt-grandfather Henry Risien captained one of Sandbach, Tinne & Co's ships, the "Parker". I have a copy of the "Parker"'s certificate of registration in (Liverpool 1830), on which Philip Frederick Tinne is named under "Other Owners" (after Charles Stewart Parker and Henry Robertson Sandbach). It states tha P.F. Tinne was naturalised by Act of Parliament 17th June 1823. Also listed is John Abraham Tinne. All were of Liverpool, Lancashire.

In a later entry, dated 23rd Oct 1844, it states that P.F Tinne was now deceased and that the "Other Owners" had transferred Sixty four sixty fourths of their shares in the ship to William Robertson Sandbach.

From www.aim25.ac.uk, Philip Tinne was taken into the partnership in 1813 and it became known as Sandbach, Tinne & Co. This site states that they were importers and exporters, shipping and estate agents, mainly concerned with suar, coffee, molasses and rum, but also with "prime Gold Coast Negroes" (J. Rodway. 'History of British Guiana', 1893). This info was obtained in 2002 from a Google search - there is probably a lot more info on the web by now, maybe even the above book in digital form.

Hope this is useful

Lisa Booth

Posted: 5 Nov 2009 11:53AM GMT
Hi Leanne.
What side of the Sandbach family are you from, I'm from the the Bunbury/Tarporley side.

Regards Ivor

Posted: 8 Apr 2010 7:04PM GMT
HI Lisa.. I was reading the list of Sandbach ships and this is the first time I've found some names which may help my search. My 3rd gr-grandfather was George Sydney Meerten and he was born about 1829 in Demerara, Guyana. Unfortunately no one knows who his family was. As a wee boy he was sent to England in 1835 (Tikwis found the 'intent to leave the colony' for me a number of years ago (ever grateful too).. I'd love to find his name on a ship manifest and with the ship names I found on your list I may be able to. STill won't help me learn who his family was but that is the challenge isn't it. George ended up in England and married in 1857 - but even a 'hired professional genealogist' couldn't find out where he was from 1835-`1857 in England (ie orphange school labor)?No one knows. Many thanks for the work you have done. Cheers, Val Davies.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic