Search for content in message boards

GLORIA CORDOVA

GLORIA CORDOVA

OTTO (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2000 7:36PM GMT
GLORIA YOU SEEM TO HAVE ALOT OF INFORMATION CORDOVA FAMILIES IN NEW MEXICO, DO YOU BY CHANCE HAVE ANY ON THE 'DE CORDOVA' FAMILY IN TEXAS?

De Cordova surname

Posted: 21 Dec 2000 10:37PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2004 9:26PM GMT
Hello. Unfortunately I do not have specific information on the family name in TX. I believe that we CORDOVAs all probably descend from a common ancestor. The challenge is to keep researching. The "De Cordoba" progenitor in the New World, according to Fray Angelico Chavez (Origins of New Mexico Families) is Antonio de Cordoba (b.ca 1650, Mexico City) married to Eugenia DeHerrera (b.ca 1655, Guadalupe del Paso). They had 3 children: two sons -- Tomas and Lazaro Antonio, and a daughter -- Ana Maria.

As an example of common descendancy, I grew up in Trinidad, CO, and most of those Trinidad CORDOVAs descend from Lazaro de Cordoba, although I've not yet found the link for my Cordova branch beyond ca 1750 where I have Antonio Abad (sometimes listed as Antonio Aban) married to Juliana Torres.

You can write me directly at my e-mail address: CordovaG@aol.com if you'd like.

Re: Antonio de Cordoba, Marquez book (La Familia de Cordoba), p. 1

The story of the Cordoba famiy begins in the New World in the 17th centruy with the patriarch of the family, Antonio de Cordoba. Antonio de Cordoba was a native of Mexico City. He married Eugenia de Herrera who was born at Guadalupe del Paso, a District of El Paso del Norte.

On November 14, 1684, Antonio Cordoba was listed in the El Paso del Norte Presidio Muster. Under the command of Sargento Mayor and Captain of the Presidio, Roque Madrid, Antonio de Cordoba passed muster as follows: "passed muster with arquebus, sword, shield, saddlebags, thirgy balls and a pound of powder, a saddled horse and four bareback. In proof of this he signed it with his lordship."

He was still living in El Paso de Norte in 1695 where he was acting as a notary two years after the De Vargas Reconquest. Antonio was listed as deceased when his son, Lazaro, married in 1710.

Family tradition holds that the original Cordoba family, who were blond-haired, fair complexioned and blue eyed, came from the Province of Galicia in northwestern Spain.

DEATH:
MARQUEZ book, p. 1.
It is unknown when Antonio died. He is listed as deceased when his son Lazaro was married in 1710. Maria Eugenia returned to New Mexico with the rest of her family in 1705. Many of the families in this area had lived in New Mexico prior to the Indian revolt of 1680. As early as 1709 she owned land jointly in Santa Cruz de la Canada with her younger brother Miguel. He was murdered around 1712. Eugenia along with her sisters Ana Maria and Isabel are listed during the trial.

p. 165. ORIGINS. Fr. Angelico Chavez
Antonio de Cordoba was a native of the City of Mexico who had married Eugenia de Herrera, born in New Mexico, at Guadalupe del Paso. He was still acting as notary there in 1695, two years after the Reconquest. But his wife, or widow, came to Santa Cruz with her children, for Antonio was referred to as deceased when their son, Lazaro Antonio, married Ana Valdes at Santa Cruz in 1710. A daughter, Ana Maria, married Antonio Trujillo there in 1711.

RE: Eugenia DeHerrera
"Re: Eugenia de Herrera Marquez book, p. 1
It is unknown when Antonio died but Maria Eugenia returned to New Mexico with the rest of her family in 1705. Many of the families in this area had lived in New Mexico prior to the Indian revolt of 1680. As early as 1709 she owned land jointly in Santa Cruz de la Canada with her younger brother Miguel. He was murdered around 1712. Eugenia along with her sisters Ana Maria and Isabel are listed during the trial."

Thankyou

Dana Cordova (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2001 9:25AM GMT
Gloria,

I appreciate this info and your references. I also descend from Lazaro but my family stayed in New Mexico. I descend through Lazaro's son Antonio Cordova married to Barbara Maria Benavidez. Did you also say that you were unclear which son of Lazaro moved to Colorado?

Descendants of Lazaro Cordova

Posted: 12 Jan 2001 6:25PM GMT
Hello. Thanks for connecting. When you mentioned LAZARO, son of Antonio, are you referring to the progenitor, Antonio de Cordoba, and his son, Lazaro? In my database, I don't have a record for a son of this Lazaro who is named Antonio. I have this Lazaro married 3x (1.Ana Valdez, 2.Petronila Avila, 3.Petronia Martin) but don't have any sons of these unions named Lazaro. Would you clarify for me to which Lazaro you may be referring?

Regarding which son(s) of Lazaro went to Colorado, I don't recall what I said but I think it was that I have descendants of his in my database who descend from son(s) who did go to Colorado. I'd really welcome information on those descendants of his who remained in NM. Thanks.

CordovaG@aol.com

Descendants of Lazaro

Dana (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2001 6:56PM GMT
Hi Gloria,

I first received this information from Martha Hawkins. I'll begin with Antonio De Cordova.

Antonio De Cordova m. Eugenia De Herrera

Son- Lazaro Antonio Cordova m. Petronila De Avila Martin. Lazaro b. abt. 1688 or 1690

Son- Antonio Cordova m. Barbara Maria Benavidez. Antonio's birth...(Martha gave me 13, Aug 1733 in San Juan Grant Co., NM) I looked up Antonio on Family Search and it gave me Antonio's christening, 17 Jun 1733 in San Juan, Rio Arriba, NM

I'll have to go back and reverify Martha's original dates.

Thanks for other info. Also, who is your family link to Colorado?

Antonio Cordova Ma.Barbara Benavidez

Posted: 13 Jan 2001 12:15PM GMT
Thanks for the information. I looked in my database again and found that I have Antonio Maria Barbara as a family that I do not have linked to antecedents. I list any Cordova family I find, so when I was researching Santa Cruz baptisms, I'd listed this Antonio and his spouse, Maria Barbara and the children I found. However, as I said, I do not have them linked to a set of parents. Martha Hawkins may be right that this Antonio is the son of Lazaro Antonio Petronila Avila de Martin but I did not have him in my database as a child of this union. But then, I thought that Lazaro had two different spouses (Petronila Avila and then Petronila Martin) but I may have that wrong. I'll have to check.

What I did personally find in the Santa Cruz baptisms I'll post here FYI:

In my database:

Antonio and Maria Benavidez:

Listed as parents in NMGS Santa Cruz de la Canada baptisms, Vol. 1 for

Maria Guadalupe:

CORDOVA, Maria Guadalupe. bap 21 Apr 1756,

s/Antonio CORDOVA Maria Barbara VENAVIDES GP/Christoval MESTAS Anna Josepha ARCULETA.

Juan:

NMGS Santa Cruz de la Canada baptisms,

Vol. 1, p. 100.

CORDOVA, Juan. bap 3 Jan 1758. s/ Antonio CORDOVA Barbara VENAVIDES; GP/Salbador ROMERO Josepha MEDINA.

Salvador Manuel:

NMGS Santa Cruz de la Canada baptisms,

Vol. 1, p. 107.

CORDOVA, Salbador Manuel. bap 8 Dec 1760;

s/ Antonio CORDOVA Barbara BENABIDES; gp/ Antonio FERNANDEZ Augustina VARELA.

Regarding spouses of Lazaro and the children of Lazaro and his spouses, I'll post what I've found in my reading:

Petrona P. AVILA:

p. 165. ORIGINS. Fr. Angelico Chavez

Antonio de Cordoba was a native of the City of Mexico who had married Eugenia de Herrera, born in New Mexico, at Guadalupe del Paso. He was still acting as notary there in 1695, two years after the Reconquest. But his wife, or widow, came to Santa Cruz with her children, for Antonio was referred to as deceased when their son, Lazaro Antonio, married Ana Valdes at Santa Cruz in 1710. A daughter, Ana Maria, married Antonio Trujillo there in 1711.

Lazaro de Cordoba and others of the same name appear in land documents from 1712 to 1762, always in the Santa Cruz or Rio Arrriba area. Although his wife was Ana Valdes as late as 1712, some children by a second wife appear several years later, if the father is the same Lazaro. These were : Francisco Xavier, born on Feb. 2, 1727, child of Lazaro de Cordoba and Petronila de Avila, and German, June 13, 1731, child of Lazaro de Cordoba and Petrona Martin.

In Marquez' book LA FAMILIA DE CORDOBA, he

notes on page 1 of his book that Lazaro had 3 wives.

The children that I have listed as children of Lazaro Ana Valdez are Pablo and Jose.

re Jose:

The 1750 Spanish census of New Mexico in La Villa Nueva de Santa Cruz de la Canada: Jose Cordova his wife.

re Pablo:

info is from E.L. Torres, La Plaza de Los Cordobas.

You asked who is my CORDOVA link into COLORADO. It appears that those researching this line can go back to about 1750 and we are all "plateaued" there. I can guess that this 1750 ancestor connects to the rest of the early Cordova family but don't yet know just where. My Cordova ancestor who migrated to Colorado is my gg-grandfather,

Jose Benito (b.1837) his wife, Marina Ribera.

Here's my line to that 1750 point:

Antonio Abad CORDOVA (1750 Pojoaque-1872 Ranchos de Taos) and Juliana TORRES (1752 San Juan de Los Caballeros-1844 Ranchos de Taos);

|

Raymundo CORDOVA (1788 Santa Cruz-1872) and Estefana GONZALES (b 1801/1802 ?, Santa Cruz; m.1814 Taos);

|

Jose Benito CORDOVA (1837 Taos-1925 El Moro, CO) and Marina RIVERA (1846 Taos ­1931 Trinidad, CO);

|

Donaciano CORDOVA (1861 Taos-1941 Trinidad) and Margarita SANTISTEVAN (1865 Taos ­1943 Trinidad, CO);

|

Jose Benito CORDOVA (1884 Taos-1968 Trinidad) and Anna Maria BARRON (1988 Taos-1925 Walsenburg, CO);

|

L. Barron CORDOVA (1916 Walsenburg-present) and Cora CARMONA (1914 Hastings, CO-1995 Trinidad);

|

Gloria CORDOVA (1938 Trinidad-present).

=============================================

(1) Family of Antonio Abad Cordova (1750-1872) and Juliana Torres:

1. Rafael Cordova (1773-?);

2. Lorenzo de Jesus Cordova (1775-?)*;

3. Maria Ignacia Cordova (ca 1779-?);

4. Jose Ignacio Cordova (ca 1762-ca 1861)

5. Maria Encarncacion Cordova (1782-?)*;

6. Maria Josefa Cordova (1784-?)*;

7. Raymundo Cordova (ca 1788-bef 1872)*

[my ancestor; ggg-grandfather];

8. Juana Gertrudis Cordova (1786-?)*;

9. Juan Felipe Cordova (ca 1790-?);

10. Juan de Jesus Cordova;

11. Maria Catalina Cordova (1791-?)*;

12. Policarpio Cordova (?-1839);

{* = documented with baptismal records}

Maria Antonia Cordova (1799) [adoptiva];

Maria Antonia Cordova (1824-?) [adoptiva];

Antonio Jose Cordova (1828-?) [adopted].

(2) Family of Raymundo Cordova (1788-1872) and Estefana Gonzales

Antonio Aban Cordova 1820- ca1851);

Jose de Jesus Cordova (1822-?);

(given name unreadable) Cordova (1825-?);

Maria Antonia Aban Cordova (1828-1834);

Maria Paula Cordova (1830-?);

Maria de Jesus Cordova (1832-?);

Maria Dolores Cordova;

Mariano de Jesus Cordova (1834-?);

Maria Rosa Cordova (1834-?);

Jose Benito Cordova I (1837-1925) [my ancestor, gg-grandfather];

Maria Francisca Cordova (1840-?);

Maria Barbara Cordova ();

Juan Nepomeceno Cordova (1845-?);

Maria Gaudalupe Cordova (1846-?)

(3) Family of Jose Benito Cordova I (1837 Taos-1925 Trinidad) and Marina Rivera (1846 Taos-1931 Trinidad)

Donaciano Cordova (1861-1941) [my ancestor]

(4) Family of Donaciano Cordova (1861 Taos-1941 Trinidad) and Margarita Santistevan (1868 Taos-1943 Trinidad);

Jose Benito Cordova II (1884-1968) [my ancestor, grandfather];

Juan R.D. Cordova (1886-1971);

Jose Eduardo Cordova (1888-1986);

Delia Amelia Cordova (1890-1952);

Alfredo Donaciano Cordova (1893-ca 1970);

Justa Josefina Cordova (1896-1898);

Rudolfo Octaviano Cordova (1902-1968)

Fernando Oscar Cordova (1905-1993)

(5) Family of Jose Benito Cordova II (1884 Taos-1968 Trinidad) and Anna Maria Barron (1888 Taos-1925 Walsenburg)

Louis Barron Cordova (b.1916 Walsenburg, CO) [my father];

Virginia Estefana Cordova (b.1917 Walsenburg, CO)

Hector Oscar Cordova (b.1920 El Moro, CO)

Margarito F. Cordova (29 Dec 1921-17 Jun 1925 Trinidad);

Beltran Cordova (d. ca 1926 Walsenburg, as an infant of about 1-2 years of age.)

(6) Family of Barron Cordova (1916) and Cora Carmona (1914 Hastings-1995 Trinidad)

Gloria Cordova (b.1938 Trinidad)

Teresa Delia Eva Cordova (b.1944 Trinidad;m.Richard J. Bell)

Missing family

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 8:31PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 3:22AM GMT
I am trying to locate ancestors of Bitervo Cordova, 8/19/1895 to 4/69. He was my mother-in-law's father. He had brothers named Pedro and Alberto and sisters named Theresa, Rosita and Margareta. I believe they were born in NM or CO as Bitervo was probably married in El Paso, TX where he met my wife's GM. I was told their parents died when they were young and at least some of them were raised by a family named Lujan. Any information would be appreciated. Regards. Dave Nelson.

Bitervo CORDOVA

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 9:11PM GMT
Hello. I wish I could be helpful but the names you mention do not ring familiar. I have baptismal records extracted by the NM Genealogical Society from Santa Cruz Church up to 1856 if you find that Bitervo's ancestry is in NM. Santa Cruz was one of the very early settlements so if his family was in NM he'd likely be in the records of one of the early settlements. Good luck in your search.
Sincerely
Gloria Cordova
CordovaG@aol.com

Bitervo Cordova

Posted: 16 Jan 2001 1:52PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 3:22AM GMT
thanks for the quick response. I am going to get his SSN records to get more detail. Regards. Dave Nelson.

Antonio son of Lazario

Posted: 19 Jan 2001 8:15AM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2002 10:25PM GMT
Hi Gloria its me again, I saw your message and in the paperwork that I am sending you Lazario had two sons by the name of Antonio the first was married to Maria Martin Serrano date of birth unknown and the second was born 13 June 1733 Rio Arriba Abiquiu he married Ysabel Martin Serrano there were 8 children 1. Pablo 2.Antonio 3. Frnncisco Xavier 4. Felipe 5. German 6. Antonio 7. Domingo 8. Lorenzo Pablo is the line from which my family comes from. Thanks Martha
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions