Search for content in message boards

Lost Keefer family members

Lost Keefer family members

Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:11AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2002 4:11AM GMT
I am looking for my great grandfather's first family from Ohio/Illinois. He was David Keefer, born 1810/PA; wife Louisa born 1823/PA; children (born 1835-56) were: Ann, Louisa, Laura, Catherine, Caroline, Sanford, Elizabeth, Leah, Jon., and Mary.

Re: Lost Keefer family members

Posted: 24 Mar 2004 9:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello. I have records my line of Keefers from Ionia County, Michigan. My great, great, great grandfather was Jacob Keefer; Born:7/11/1819 in Pennsylvania, Died: 8/31/1890. His wife was named Catherine (maiden name unknown). She was born in Pennsylavania, 1/19/1816, Died: 12/25/1880. They are both buried in the Keefer & Olmstead Cemetery, Orange Twp., Ionia Co., Michigan. Census records indicate that they also lived in Ohio. They had a daughter Mary J., Born: 6/14/1839, Died 5/14/1916. She was my great, great grandmother. Let me know if this if any help.
Kim

Sue Kratzman (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2004 4:01PM GMT
Kim --
Did your Jacob Keefer have brothers Peter, George
Johan and sister Lydia? Their father would have been
George W. Kieffer.
Sue

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 10:09PM GMT
Hi,

I'm from the same lineage as you, My ggg grandfather was Abraham Keefer, father of George. I'm am tryong to locate the parents of Abraham Keefer and Mary Ann Weston. Do you have any information?
Please reply to my home email bkeef7@aol.com

Thanks

Posted: 30 Nov 2007 8:07PM GMT
Hi
I am seeking information about George Keefer b 08 Nov 1773, New Jersey.
He was married to Catrina (Catherine) Lampman 08 Jun 1815 in Thorold Ontario Canada
Their childrens names are James, Amelia, Augustus, Charles, Thomas, and Alexander all b in Ontario. He also married JANE (nee McBRIDE) EMORY, Please see notes below.
George died 26 Jun 1858 in Thorold.
The Keefer family is tied in with my Lenfestey and LeGallee family.
Thanks for any assistance.

ID: I4478
Name: George Keefer
Sex: M
Birth: 8 NOV 1773 in Sussex Co, NJ
Death: 26 JUN 1858 in Thorold, Welland Co, ON
Note:
GEORGE KEEFER: Came to Canada about 1790 with brother, Jacob. Settled in Thorold, Welland Co. Was appointed Ensign in Militia 1799, Lieut 1806, Capt 1815; served in War of 1812; was present at battles of Chippewa and Lundy's Lane. He was one of original promoters of Welland Canal, and was President of company formed for its construction. George was married four times:
[1] 6 Feb 1797, to Catherine, dau of Peter Lampman (UEL, served in War of 1812); [2] 8 Jun 1815, Mary Wilson or Swaize, widow; [3] 2 Jun 1836 to Jane McBride, widow of John Emory (UEL, served War oif 1812, d 1813); [4] 14 Nov 1839 to Esther magdalen Secord (dau of Stephen Secord).
KEEFER. A history of Thorold could not be written without frequent mention of...Keefer. George Keefer, the chief founder of the place, was born...British subject...county of Sussex...New Jersey, on 8 Nov 1773...to Canada in 1790...age of 18...(with) brother Jacob, aged 16...Thorold. He married...attached to the militia of the early times, being first Ensign, then First Lieutenant in the Second Regiment, Lincoln Militia, and served...war of 1812-14, being then promoted to a Captaincy...battles of Lundy's Lane and Chippawa...When the country had become settled, he entered vigorously into active business and social life...He built mills, conducted commercial enterprises, gave employment to the people...He gave his whole energies to the Welland Canal enterprise...President of the company...turning the first sod...30th of November, 1824...died June 25, 1858...85th year...He had fifteen children...Nine of them were by his first wife and six by his second...George, Samuel and Thos. C were civil engineers; Augustus and Alexander were lawyers; Jacob and Peter were merchants and millers; George and Jacob were justices of the peace; John...miller and farmer; James held a county office in Middlesex; Ontario, Canada Charles Henry...physician...McGill...; George...engineer of Welland, St Lawrence, Chambly canals...Grand Trunk Railway; Samuel was Chief Engineer of Public Works...on Welland...St Lawrence Canal...built the first suspension bridge in Canada at Ottawa (longest then in world at Niagara Falls)...gold medal at Paris Exhibition of 1878...(2nd Pres Cdn Society of Civil Engrs succeeding bro Thos c in 1888. Mbr Institute Civil Engrs Engl, & Soc Civil Engrs, NY. Alexander was elected mbr of Legislature of Victoria, Australia, 1855-60.
Note: CATHARINE Lampman was dau of Peter Lampman, UEL, who came Canada from Long Island, NY, and settled in Grantham, Lincoln Co.
Note: JANE (nee McBRIDE) EMORY: Widow of John Emory, UEL, who served in War of 1812 and d. 1813. Jane's father, who came from Ireland and served in Carlton's Irish Brigade in the American Revolutionary War, m. Mary Bradshaw, descendant of Col. Bradshaw, of Cromwell's Army. Jane's brother, Edward McBride was MPP for Niagara.

Father: George Kieffer b: 1739 in Germany
Mother: Mary (Maria) Conke b: ABT 1740

Thanks Shelley

Posted: 2 Dec 2007 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: Keefer, Lampman
Further to Shelley007 notes. In Vancouver there was ( I think he is dead now) a Secord Lampman and I know that he was a distant cousin on my Keefer side. The Secord in his name comes from Laura Secord. Somewhere there there is a Lampman - Secord connection.
There is a Keefer street here and the story I was told was that Harry Keefer was a young man in Vancouver c.1886 and was part of a crew burning up some brush piles on False Creek. They went home for lunch, a wind came up and the town burnt down. Harry Keefer ended his days on Savroy Island where he operated the small store and was postmaster. He was very tall and could normally reach everything in the store with one step, depite this he would say "anything else while I am at this end of the store" - greatly amsing for the locals. He had a daughter Francis who was an artist.

Posted: 2 Dec 2007 6:10AM GMT
Hi
You are correct with regards to the Secord name.
You may like to visit the www.Keefermansion.com site.
It is full of info and there are several portraits of the Keefer family, a very distinguished family.
I hope to one day visit this beautiful inn.
All the best

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Keefer
I descend from George's brother Jacob who was married to Jerusha Van Etten. I have a lot of information on Keefers.

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 7:02PM GMT
Surnames: Robert Keefer
I am working on the Abraham and Mary Jane Warner line. I am also working on Samuel and Mary Ann Weston. I have some info on Jacob.

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 7:49PM GMT
Which Robert Keefer? I have 5 in my family tree. Who were his parents?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions