Search for content in message boards

Edward Stocksdale/Stockstill

Edward Stocksdale/Stockstill

Posted: 10 Mar 2011 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
The Third Virginia Charter (March 12, 1612)

And further our will and pleasure is, and we doe by theis presents grannt and confirme for the good and welfare of the said plantacion, and that posterity maie hereafter knowe whoe have adventured and not bin sparing of their purses in such a noble and generous accion for the generall good of theire cuntrie, and at the request and with the consent of the Companie afore said, that our trusty and welbeloved subjects:

Edward Sackvill, Esquier

whoe since our said last lettres patent are become adventurers and have joined themselves with the former adventurers and planters of the said Companie and societie, shall from henceforth be reputed, deemed and taken to be and shalbe brethren and free members of the Companie and shall and maie, respectively, and according to the proportion and value of their severall adventures, have, hold and enjoie all suche interest, right, title, priviledges, preheminences, liberties, franchises, immunities, profitts and commodities whatsoever in as lardge, ample and beneficiall manner to all intents, construccions and purposes as anie other adventures nominated and expressed in anie our former lettres patent, or anie of them have or maie have by force and vertue of theis presents, or anie our former lettres patent whatsoever.

(Edward was on the long list of Adventurers and I believe based on my previous research was our Edward Stocksdale, this spelling being one of many similar attempts at his name.)

Re: Edward Stocksdale/Stockstill

Posted: 31 May 2011 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Stogsdill, Stockdell, Stockdill, Stockdale, Stocksdale
It does match the timeline and events that follow (and show in recorded history). I don't recall running across another Edward with a similar name (and possibly similar misspellings).

Have you had any luck narrowing down where Edward may have originated from? I've got my eyes "set" towards Yorkshire, England, however I have been unable to find anything concrete. The lack of surviving records (ship/passenger-wise) of this time period makes it quite daunting.

Posted: 31 May 2011 2:39PM GMT
Others have his father as Robert. I don't remember where in England. The presume that Edward and John Stockdale (Stodghill Family) of Essex Co., VA were brothers.

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 12:50AM GMT
Interesting. Thanks for that bit of info. I suppose it's possible, but it is hard to make that leap (although understandable how). It's a shame we don't have more records from that time period.

I don't suppose that the will(s) of John or Edward named each other or each other's families.

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 1:16AM GMT
I'm not aware of the documentaion on Robert. I did the research back to Edward and his two wives myself. Carlton Stogsdill finally applied his research to Edward. He had his line previously from John Stodghill of Essex.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions