Search for content in message boards

New York Vital Records

New York Vital Records

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 4:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
I actually posted this to another thread before noticing this one. This is probably the better place to post it.

I have run into a problem obtaining vital records from the state of New York. You cannot get a copy of a record even when you pay for it. Example: (this part is fact) I actually have a copy of my Grandfather's and my Uncle's birth certs. They are in poor condition, so I wanted new copies. I filled out the forms, paid the fees and even furnished the certificate numbers to aid the search. I was informed that there is no such record of my Grandfather and they just kept my money. (keep in mind that I have the certificate in hand) My Uncle has tried and paid 3 times now as he needs a copy of his own birth certificate. Again, they keep his money and send nothing. He even traveled to Albany to pick one up and was told that they would have to mail it. It has been about 2 years now...still nothing.

(this part is just my opinion) Quite a great scam if you think about it. Collect money all day and send nothing. They probably didn't even try to search it, just denied it...sort of like the insurance companies did with initial claims immediately following Hurricane Katrina.

Re: New York Vital Records

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 5:49PM GMT
Michigan Vital Records is the same a scam. Something should be done about these group of Vatal Records thats is all over Ancestry and Rootsweb. People need to know these are not ligit places they send out nothing or wrong info and charge you for it.

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 1:30PM GMT
I have gotten many birth, death, and marriage certificates from the NY State Dept of Health - vital records. Requests that are sent in by mail take a verrrry long time to complete (a couple of years ago the wait time was about a full year).
Since I live near Albany I just drop off my requests and have gotten the certificates I requested in weeks (2 - 4 weeks).
One issue that might be getting in the way of success for you is that number you see on the copy you currently have. Because vital records are registered with both the locality/town/county and with the state - your record might have the county/locality number on it, not the state number (which would be a different number) - depending on the source of the copy you have. If you are asking the state to find your record using a local number - they would correctly tell you it does not exist. Unfortunately NYS will look for exactly what you tell them to look for - and nothing else.
You need to access the nys vital record index to get the correct state number, or pay them to do a search for you, then request the certificate from the state number.
contact me directly if you need more info.
Pat Carey

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 2:29PM GMT
I forgot to mention that if you already have a birth certificate you know where he was born and should contact that county for a copy of their copy. It is usually cheaper than getting a copy from the state.

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 9:43PM GMT
Buffalo always does a good job, but the person must have been born in Buffalo or died there.

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 4:56AM GMT
Here is a photo of the cert. my Uncle went to Albany with. As I stated before, He has paid for it more than once and has received nothing. It is about a 1600 mile drive, so I doubt that he will be going again anytime soon. He would just like to get one of the copies that he has paid for. As you can see in the photo, the cert. number is clearly visible. We are not talking astro-physics here. I guess, as you suggested, the next move might be to contact Schenectady directly. This may solve our problem, but still does not relieve NY State of their duty to provide copies that have been paid for.
Attachments:

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 11:42AM GMT
Although that does not look like any birth certificates I have ever gotten from the vital records office (32 so far) the ones I order are a little older.
I agree that if he paid, the state should provide or refund. I once ordered a marriage certificate that they said, in a letter, had a valid number and should be on their film, but it was missing from the film - and they were issuing a refund.
Unless you have the canceled checks and can prove you have complained previously about not receiving it - I don't think there is anything you can do except try Schenectady.

Posted: 10 May 2011 2:23AM GMT
Any luck since last summer?

The Schenectady city clerk's office should be able to complete the request by mail (I'd enclose a printout of your photo too - might help them out).

http://www.cityofschenectady.com/city_clerks.html

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 9:37AM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2011 8:52PM GMT
I love how it's over a year later and there are still some relatively new replies to this.

My two cents:
Unless you can provide definite proof that the person in question is either dead, or YOU, they will not provide you with a certificate due to privacy regulations. I ran into that issue in 2004 with a woman who was born in 1907. I had to either prove her death, or wait until the 100 years from her birth had passed. I should have known better right away. I can get it now if I want to, but the drive... meh.

I really hope that by now your uncle has received his certificate; it's just rude to leave him hanging this long.

Posted: 26 Sep 2011 4:49PM GMT
Unfortunately, he has still received nothing. When someone requests it, he just tells them what happened and lets them know that if they can obtain a copy, he would be more than happy to pay them for it. If they continue to push, then he brings up the lack of birth certificates for illegal aliens, the president, etc. So far, it has worked. He is a former U.S. Marine D.I., so I doubt they can win an argument with him.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic