Search for content in message boards

Passport from 1820

Passport from 1820

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 8:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a copy of a passport & safe conduct issued by the Dutch Navy after my ancestor had served for six years on the frigates Dagraad and Amstel from 1814-1819. This passport is issued to Cely of Alias Andreas Andre who was the son of Denis Sylly & Mary Breek born in War Schanwe, Poland. Are there ship records available? What was a Polisher man doing in Dutch Navy? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Passport from 1820

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 9:48AM GMT
Just some thoughts:
The family name Breek sounds Dutch. There are various Maria Breek entries in www.wiewaswie.nl
War Schanwe somehow looks like Warschau (=Warsaw) to me.... The Dutch use the same spelling as the Germans.
A Polish soldier in the Dutch Navy -> in Napoleontic and post-Napoleontic times possibly not as strange as it may sound. Though I don't know too much about the military.

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 4:41PM GMT
Surnames: Breek; Sylly/Salee
Thank you for the reply. This ancestor has been such a mystery to me. I have his information after he came to America in 1820. His naturalization paper also gives the birth place as Yetmore. In his obit it is mentioned about him helping the Russians during the burning of Moscow. My grandmother always said that her grandfather was polish/white Russian. I'll look at the site you mentioned. I welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Also going to look for some Dutch Navy history? Have you every heard of "Eniel" or "Mildany" as a state/area/region from that time frame?

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 8:06AM GMT
Yetmore doesn't ring a bell, neither does Eniel or Mildany. But again, I am not familiar with the Dutch Navy history, other than what we learned in our history books.

Also the familynames Celij and Celie pop up, as Dutch family names. He might have had a Polish name, which was "dutchified"
Where did he marry?

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Sylly/Salee; Breek
Appreciate all of your suggestions. Hope I'll have time later today to search the web site you suggested. Do you know if there is a website that gives the name of crews of Dutch ships
for this time frame? The passport and safe conduct gives the ships he served on & also his different ranks. This paper lists his parents & the place of his birth & the year. Oh yes, it also gives a description of him, too.
Stephen/Stefan didn't marry until 1823 in Preble Co. Ohio. I think I have found his entry into the United states but didn't print it so need to get back to that site again. Again thanks!!

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 12:07AM GMT
Ahh, so his first name was Stephen/Stefan? You didn't mention that before, or I must have overlooked it.
I'm not sure there are Navy ships crews online... I never needed them, so I didn't look for them.
Next week, when I will have more time, I'll see whether I can find something.
I wonder whether there could be any misspellings in names and places...? Do you have a scan of the original documents?

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 3:13AM GMT
Well, I just lost a long letter I had ready to send to you!! I do not have the original. The copy I have was found in an old fancy chair that had belonged to the Salee's. So I would assume it was either traced or handwritten by someone in the family. I can scan & send it to you but I'm not real computer smart & not sure how to attach it. I would really appreciate any time that you can spare to help with this.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 4:06AM GMT
Not sure if this helps but this webpage has information about possible avenues of research with regards to the Dutch Navy

http://www.defensie.nl/english/nimh/genealogy/geneological_r...

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 6:56AM GMT
It's easy: if you send a message here, you can see an "attach a file" link right above the "post" button.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 8:24PM GMT
Thank you. I'll check it out. My gr gr grandfather's live before 1820 has set up all kinds of road blocks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions