Search for content in message boards

Hendrick van Essenhoogh

Hendrick van Essenhoogh

Posted: 12 May 2013 3:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: van Essenhoogh
Hello,
I am researching my direct ancestor Hendrik van Essenhoogh, who was born about 1725 in the Netherlands. He came to England, where he settled in Canterbury, Kent, and married Mary Blogg in 1747, and had a family. I would like any information on his birth and birthplace in the Netherlands, and perhaps his parents' names. I wonder if anyone can help? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Hendrick van Essenhoogh

Posted: 13 May 2013 12:24AM GMT
Surnames: Essenhigh, Essenhoge, Essenhoy
I found an old messge board thread that may be of use to you.

The thread is for the surname of Essenhigh but the fourth post in the thread makes a reference to Dutch migrants to Canterbury with the surname of "Essenhoge or Essenhoy"

http://boards.ancestry.com.au/surnames.essenhigh/1/mb.ashx

If link doesn't work, search all boards with the keyword "Essenhigh" and then select the search result "can any one add to my knolage "

Posted: 13 May 2013 1:54PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information. A good thread. My mother's maiden name was Essenhigh, so I am directly descended. I did know about Canterbury, in particular St. Peter's church where there are apparently references to Essenhoogh/Essenhoy. Hope to visit the church some time. I see you are of Dutch descent - any connection to Essenhoogh in your family? I am currently searching through some records of the French Protestant church in Netherlands, online.

Posted: 14 May 2013 12:18AM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: van Essenhoogh, van Essenhoog, Beukers, van Rhee
No connection in my family to the Essenhogh, I just like to help out other with researching Dutch ancestors when I can.

I did a little more digging and I found the following:

Hendrick van Essenhogh was listed as a receipient/constituent? to an estate of one Philip Beukers from the city of Utrecht on 27 NOV 1738

Hendrick is listed as being a "master shoemaker" living in Utrecht at the time of this document

LINK:
http://www.hetutrechtsarchief.nl/collectie/archiefbank/archi...

The only other Essenhogh I can find is a record of a Willemintie van Essenhoogh/Essenhoog from Utrecht

who married a Gijsbert van Rhee from Ameijde (Ameijde likely is a different spelling of Ameide and based on the source of infor refers to villages/towns of Ameide-Tienhoven in the province of South Holland) on 28 NOV 1699 in Utecht

LINK: http://www.ameide-tienhoven.nl/docs/Trouwen%20Am_NA_01b.pdf

There is also a VOC (Dutch East Indies Company) record detailing the death of a Gijsbert van Rhee on 22 december 1728? in Asia, a sailor, whose widow is listed as Willeminte van Essenhogh

LINK: https://www.wiewaswie.nl/personen-zoeken/zoeken/document/a2a...

These two people could be related to your Hendrik but I have no firm proof of that...

Posted: 14 May 2013 5:54PM GMT
Thanks so much for sending the links to these documents. I had found one of them, the Philip Beukers' estate document naming Hendrik as a recipient, though at the time I could not quite understand all of it. I do now, thanks to you. The name is too much of a coincidence not to be my Hendrik - or maybe it is his father. If he is the right one, it is an amazing coincidence for me that he (or his father) was a Master Shoemaker, because my own grandfather, Frederick John Essenhigh, his 4xgreat-grandson, was also a shoemaker.

The other two documents are fascinating, and there are so few Essenhoogs out there, it is tempting to believe Willemintie is related.

On the VOC document, can you help with one or two words? I understand that Gijsbert van Rhee died in Asia on 22 December 1728 (am I right?). What do the words "Aankomstindie" and"VertrekKamer" mean?

One other thing you may be able to help wih - in Holland, does a female child take the surname of the father? Also, when she marries, does she take the name of her husband, or keep her own surname? I only ask because Willemintie is named as van Essenhoogh, and not van Rhee.

Thanks for what you have found. I am trying to follow it up via the Utrecht archives, online.

Posted: 14 May 2013 11:06PM GMT
Yeah, the 1728 appears to be the date of death (to my understandin)

Looking at the document and attempting to translate (my Dutch isn't the greatest)

"AankomstIndie" - Arrival Indie (I believe Indie refers to the Dutch East Indies)

"VertrekKamer" - Departure Room?

I am guessing he left The Netherlands in March and arrived in the Dutch East Indies in September, a 6-7 month journey?

Posted: 15 May 2013 2:29PM GMT
Thanks for the translation. And thanks for the help you've given. It has set me off on a path to try and trace them, I've started with the Utrecht archives.

If there's anything I can unearth/search/print in this country (UK) for you, let me know on this thread. Sonia

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 12:30PM GMT
Hi Sonia,

I am also a Essenhigh researcher and I have read this thread with a great deal of interest. I have been trying to find out more about Henrik (Henry) my 6th great grandfather for sometime and always wondered what he did for a living and where he originally came from and now I have given some ideas

seriously brilliant. I have a lot of Essenhigh information if you interested

regards

Sherree

Posted: 16 Jul 2013 3:10PM GMT
Hi Sherree,

I'm so glad this thread has helped a fellow Essenhigh researcher. If Hendrik is your 6-great-grandfather, which of his children are you descended from? I am descended from his son Morrice. I have searched a lot of Dutch records on Ancestry and elsewhere, but have not yet found any record of his birth in Netherlands. There must be something somewhere, unless of course the records were lost for one reason or another.

I would love to have any information you have on Essenhighs. Likewise, if there's anything I can help with, let me know.

Regards,

Sonia

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 12:42AM GMT
Hi Sonia,

I descend from his son John Essenhigh whose grandson John went off to Australia. Happy to send information but it will be better if we do it by email there is alot of Essenhighs from all around the world
my address is mb5del@hotmail.com

regards

Sherree
per page

Find a board about a specific topic