Search for content in message boards

Public Tree, DO NOT ALLOW photos and stories to be COPIED without permission.

Public Tree, DO NOT ALLOW photos and stories to be COPIED without permission.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Adney McMIllin
PLEASE ADD OPTION PREVENT my photos and stories to be copied by others without a submitters permission.
I have written to ancestry.com via certified mail, with my signature notarized to request that all my photos & stories be permanently deleted from their website. THEY HAVE REFUSED. My reason for this is because of a couple of bad actors who have copied all of my work to sloppy, inaccurate trees. One woman wrote me the nastiest note when I asked her to correct some items and I have since blocked her. Others have copied my work who are not even blood related. These "collectors" sometimes have 25,000 or more people in their so-called trees. So I am fed up, and no longer wish to share, UNLESS someone writes to me personally who is related. ANCESTRY.COM needs to have an option where you can upload your photos and stories to a public tree, BUT NOT ALLOW THEM TO BE COPIED WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. Sign me, sad and sorry, but too late.

Re: Public Tree, DO NOT ALLOW photos and stories to be COPIED without permission.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 3:33AM GMT
Just what do you think "PUBLIC" means???

You make it public and it is there for the taking so your only choice is to make it private.

That being said I believe Ancestry should just stop the ability to copy from one tree to another-period.

The only ones who would really complain are the namegathering click/copiest and they aren't real genealogy researchers anyway... more like junkology vultures.

Re: Public Tree, DO NOT ALLOW photos and stories to be COPIED without permission.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 5:09AM GMT
Your only recourse is making your tree private. My view is that even if someone did copy my info and/or photos to their tree, it's not hurting me or my tree. I found just today that many of the few photos I've added to my tree have been copied into other trees by people who don't seem to be directly connected to my family. The info from my tree and photos have been copied into trees that are filled with obvious incorrect info and impossible family relationships, etc., but these serious inaccuracies and problems have no effect on my own tree. My tree is private, now, but not due to the copying.

BTW, 1 of the craziest and most blatant examples I've found of the copy-mania that seems rampant on Ancestry is a cropped picture of 1 man from a larger photo of a group of Civil War vets attached to 1 of my ancestors in another person's tree. My ancestor was b. 1780, d. 1850 and the photo was taken in the early 1900s. Obviously, the urge to "click/copy" was too great for the person to take time to stop and think about the person to which they were attaching the photo.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 8:16AM GMT
Yes, I have already made my tree Private again. I am just trying to warn new people that are adding their trees for the first time to keep their trees PRIVATE so they do not have my bad experience. No... I do not want my photos and stories copied by every Tom, Dick and Harry that finds them. But, it is too late. Those that have already been copied, I can now never get back. It makes me sick. ANCESTRY.COM really needs to change the way media items are copied so easily. Should only be allowed with PERMISSION from the submitter. Alas, I want to make my tree public, but I can not.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 11:52AM GMT
If you set your tree to Public then anyone can see, and copy, anything in your tree. That's what Public means! The alternative is to set your tree to Private. Even then, if you give another user access to your tree, they can make a copy of images and stories from your tree and insert them in theirs, which of course may be a Public tree!!!
Ancestry have given you the choice, Public or Private. To ask them to produce further variations, such as only allowing access to images with permission, is totally unnecessary.
The only safe alternative is not to use Ancestry's on-line tree at all but to keep your data on your own computer and then access Ancestry's on-line databases using Family Tree Maker 2011.

" ... really needs to change the way media items are copied so easily"

How? I think you are a bit naive concerning the technology in use here? Anything that appears on a screen can be copied. A simple Alt+PrtScr will copy the entire current window which can then be pasted into a graphics package such as PhotoShop; Windows 7 even has its own built-in Snipping Tool, when activated you can simply draw a box around any item on the screen and copy and paste the clip into PhotoShop; in reality, most graphics packages allow the user to grab screen clips!
Neither Ancestry, nor any other company, can stop this happening!

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 2:09PM GMT
Here are some work-arounds to share your data with some control.

1). Keep 2 trees, one private with sources and media attached, the other public with just the basic info.

2). If you want to keep it all public, watermark ALL your media. If someone wants the original without your watermark plastered across the image, they'll contact you. I've found that watermarking images greatly reduces wholesale and mindless copying of them.

3). Keep you tree private on Ancestry.com and upload a GED of the same tree to Rootsweb World Connect. WCT enables you to designate it to appear sans sourcing, notes, etc, just the basics facts, be sure and tick the box that prevents a GED of it from being downloaded. I have a note in my profile on Ancestry that directs people to find what I have Ancestry on Rootsweb WCT. I'm happy to share and correspond with anyone who is interested. If they want to copy the info from rootsweb WCT, they're welcome to, but they have to key it in.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 4:27PM GMT
I want my stories to be copied, so how are people suppose to know who wants what to happen.

I wrote them to both remind myself of information, pass it on to my heirs, and communicate with others. I have put sources in the stories that are meant for other people to use. I started this before they added the citation pages but even now I prefer them. By putting the source in the story I can add information that helps people find my tree or me. I am hoping they may have something to add or share back. I would like a way to put a hierarchy on the stories. Many people may want the source for one person that also includes their ancestors. On the other hand, there may only be a few people that care about an event that happened on his job. That said I am not sure I want to go through another update to acheive this level of choice.

Photos are more complicated. Again, some are made public so they can be copied. After I photograph my families' tombstones I use up the role on others around there. I post those photos so others can have them. Other photos I label on the photo itself so people have to find me for a better copy and are more likely to use it for the right person. Some of our photos include other people and their descendants might want to view them or have a copy and they may help me identify these people. I have saved one person's photo because I am comparing it to a person that I have in an unlabeled photo. And again, many photos just aren't going to invite copying since they are simply not that interesting to non-family members. Maybe if you are famous, it would be different. I also have many photos that I have not put on a public tree.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 10:22PM GMT
I see both sides of the argument. I'm glad people are sharing information and I have shared my information for over ten years now. But, after a couple of bad experiences, I have made my tree private again. The copy-catters are spoiling the experience. I see a glut of trees out there with incorrect information from people just copying the same WRONG information. This practice legitimizes the information to new users who do not research their sources. I don't want my photos & stories attached to those trees. Of course, I have always known what PUBLIC vs. PRIVATE means. Please do not speak down to me.

Posted: 9 Dec 2010 10:41PM GMT
I'm so sorry if it came across that way. I don't like it when people do that so it certainly was not my intention to do that.

I would like some type of symbol or flag that would let me know that person doesn't want that story or photo copied. It wouldn't stop all copying but it would at least convey the owners wishes. Or the other way around some symbol for, "please use as you wish". I would use both of these depending on the particular photos.

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 3:51AM GMT
Thanks. This is an excellent reply. You are sharing great information without sounding condescending. Doreen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions