Search for content in message boards

Choctaw Nation 1860

Choctaw Nation 1860

Posted: 22 Oct 2007 12:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: William Thompson
Looking for the location of Armstrong Academy Post Office. There was a school there for orphans??

Re: Choctaw Nation 1860

Posted: 22 Nov 2007 2:37AM GMT
I don't believe this location was in Arkansas County, Arkansas. You might want to check in Bryant County, Oklahoma or surrounding counties where the Choctaw Nation was located.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 25 Nov 2007 12:47AM GMT
Surnames: Baker
Hello, Thanks for the reply. But I am looking for the county of Blue in Ark. in 1860 with the Post Office of Armstrong Academy. Maybe, the county has changed names?

Posted: 25 Nov 2007 8:54AM GMT
I don't believe there was ever a county of Blue in Arkansas.

If the place you are looking for was definitely associated with the Choctaw tribe and was not the Armstrong Academy located in Oklahoma, it might have been in Mississippi around the present Choctaw Reservation at Philadelphia.

You might also wish to try the board for the State of Arkansas, rather than this board.

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 11:02PM GMT
Arkansas did have some county name changes. I found the info by Googleing. I do not remember seeing a county bt the name of Blue but that would not surprise me as they do look so blue, the mountains. Try looking up some History stuff and I think it is around that same time.

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 11:02PM GMT
Arkansas did have some county name changes. I found the info by Googleing. I do not remember seeing a county bt the name of Blue but that would not surprise me as they do look so blue, the mountains. Try looking up some History stuff and I think it is around that same time.

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 5:56PM GMT
Checked for any reference to a Blue County, AR in following reference books, but found nothing.

.. The Handybook for Genealogists, Everton Publishers, 10th edition (this book lists counties which no longer exist, or were renamed - no reference to a Blue County)
.. Map Guide to the US Federal Censuses 1790-1920, Thorndale & Dollarhide: checked every map, no Blue County existed at time of any federal census.
.. Guide to Microfilmed Records at the Arkansas History Commission, Russell Pierce Baker: no mention of Blue County.
.. Research in Arkansas, Wendy L. Elliott, C.G.: No mention of Blue County in her guide.

Can you tell us where you found the reference to Blue County? This might help track it down.

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 4:25PM GMT
I believe you'll find the Armstrong Academy Post Office in Bryan County, Oklahoma. Good luck in your search.

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 4:12PM GMT
Blue County, Choctaw Nation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Blue County was a political subdivision of the Pushmataha District of the Choctaw Nation, in the Indian Territory. The county was dissolved upon Oklahoma’s statehood in 1907. The territory comprising the former county is incorporated primarily into the present-day Bryan County, Oklahoma.

Blue County took its name from the Blue River, an important waterway in the Choctaw Nation. Its county seat was Caddo, Indian Territory—the present-day Caddo, Oklahoma. Blue County was bordered on its north by Atoka County, Choctaw Nation and on its east by Jackson County, Choctaw Nation. To its west was the Chickasaw Nation.[1] Originally larger than in later years, Blue County lost territory when a new county, Jackson County, was carved out of Atoka County, Blue County and Kiamitia County in 1886.[2]

[edit] References

1. ^ John W. Morris, Historical Atlas of Oklahoma, Plate 38.
2. ^ Angie Debo, The Rise and Fall of the Choctaw Republic, p. 152.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions